Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla and friends

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 02, 2020, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

I have virtually no concrete memory of watching any Godzilla films but I feel like I want to watch something camp, Japanese and black and white (or lurid colour). I feel like I want to watch the Godzilla or Mothra or similar. Is the recent Japanese Shin Godzilla any good, on a different note?

Where do I beginning and how/where might I watches these films besides torrents/piracy, because I can't be bothered with that nowadays.

Any insights much appreciated.

Small Man Big Horse

Here's a brief repost of my thoughts on Shin Godzilla:

QuoteI liked it a fair bit but there is too much of the political side of things. A lot of which is interesting, but after
Spoiler alert
Godzilla has a nap around the hour and ten minutes point the next part goes on for a little too long until he's up and about again
[close]
. Still, the destruction is beautiful, and it's a very solid 7/10 rating from me.

Otherwise I've only seen the shit Bryan Cranston film, and shamefully none of the Japanese originals, but I really should rectify that.

Abnormal Palm

Cheers for that, I've heard some really good things about Shin Godzilla. It's defo on my list, but keen to check out the campier stuff in the first instance.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 02, 2020, 09:45:47 PM
Cheers for that, I've heard some really good things about Shin Godzilla. It's defo on my list, but keen to check out the campier stuff in the first instance.

I'll be interested in what you think as I while I liked Shin Godzilla it's definitely way too serious, and I'd much prefer a more fun, dafter affair myself.

magval

In the dubbed version of Shin Godzilla, a Japanese general says "good job, USA!"

Come on like. That's daft.

Bazooka

James Rolfe AVGN knows his shit, and I agree with him, you have to start with Godzilla 1954 and Godzilla vs Mothra.
1964. From there Godzilla vs Hedorah has some great designs.

popcorn

Quote from: magval on May 02, 2020, 10:05:38 PM
In the dubbed version of Shin Godzilla, a Japanese general says %u201Cgood job, USA!%u201D

Come on like. That%u2019s daft.

Shin Godzilla is one of the daftest films I've ever seen in my life, though its daftness is increased by 50% if you're an English speaker.

The woman in the photo is Satomi Ishihara, a famous actress in Japan. She plays a character who's supposed to be American and keeps coming out with mental English sayings.

She's the Japanese person's idea of a proficient English speaker and has appeared in numerous ads for one of the big English schools. These are fascinating in themselves - she sounds slightly unhinged, like she's taken too many English pills. It's clear she's acting as she's doing it, she's been coached by a native speaker to put the stress here and here and beam like a nutter the whole time.

This ad, where she meets a Canadian family in a wood or something, is also a strange watch. "Would you like to head out to the forest after a short rest?" asks her host.

Alberon

Oh, you've got to give the 50s, 60s and 70s Godzilla films a go.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Alberon on May 02, 2020, 10:56:40 PM

New Vaillant heater design deemed as "excessive" by test market.  More at 10.

Sin Agog

I feel like I've recommended this to you before, but Toho's Daimaijin, about a giant god-haunted stone samurai out for vengeance, is my favourite thing those guys ever made.  Haven't seen the two sequels, though.  It is kinda like the anti-Toho monster film, I guess, as it's actually a really sound samurai fillum which just happens to have a giant rampaging monster.

bgmnts

Just watch the old Godzilla films, the new ones are a bit rubbish.

Fuck Gojira anyway, its all about JET JAGAAA.

idunnosomename

hollywood has got stupid enough to have King Ghidorah, but where is MECHA KING GHIDORAH? heh checkmate

SavageHedgehog

I would recommend 2001's Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack because, in my opinion, it has Godzilla, Mothra and King Gidhora in it.

Spiteface

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on May 03, 2020, 09:17:13 AM
I would recommend 2001's Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack because, in my opinion, it has Godzilla, Mothra and King Gidhora in it.

Also, it has one of my favourite Godzilla suit designs.

If you don't necessarily need to watch films, may I recommend the Ultraman franchise? He even gets to fight Godzilla in one episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbmVl8Li6GQ

"Jirass" was a made out of two old Godzilla suits, with a frill around the neck to "hide" the join. Ultraman is made by Tsuburaya productions, founded by Eiji Tsuburaya, who was responsible for the effects on a lot of those early Godzilla films.

NoSleep

Start with the original 1954 Godzilla film, which is actually quite moving and, aside from the central plot, shows the effects of his appearance on ordinary people, glimpses of stories, much like you would find in a wartime film (WWII still fresh in the minds of the people who made it). The atom bomb attacks on Japan shadow this film.

Then go from the sublime to the ridiculous and watch Destroy All Monsters (1968), which was my own introduction to the franchise and a real hoot.

weekender

Quote from: NoSleep on May 06, 2020, 09:40:20 PM
Start with the original 1954 Godzilla film, which is actually quite moving and, aside from the central plot, shows the effects of his appearance on ordinary people, glimpses of stories, much like you would find in a wartime film (WWII still fresh in the minds of the people who made it). The atom bomb attacks on Japan shadow this film.

Then go from the sublime to the ridiculous and watch Destroy All Monsters (1968), which was my own introduction to the franchise and a real hoot.

This is basically what I was going to say, thanks for saving me some time.

idunnosomename

All-Out-Attack also has a cheeky Godzilla In Name Only cameo of course. fun filum

alan nagsworth

I've only ever seen "Invasion of Astro-Monster", featuring Rodan and King Ghidorah, and even then I only watched the American dubbed version titled "Monster Zero", because it has loads of samples used in one of my favourite hip hop albums "Take Me To Your Leader" by King Geedorah (alias of MF DOOM). Anyway the film is quite good! The effects are decent and the plot is kind of silly yet compelling.

'FOLLOW THE LIGHT. THE LIGHT IS YOUR GUIDE.'

My favourite is Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991). It's got some ace fight scenes and a mad time travel plot.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 07, 2020, 12:48:30 AM
All-Out-Attack also has a cheeky Godzilla In Name Only cameo of course. fun filum

Isn't that Godzilla: Final Wars the 2004 50th anniversary blow-out film? Wasn't so keen on that one but that bit was fun.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: NoSleep on May 06, 2020, 09:40:20 PM

This is a good shout. Make sure to see the Japanese version of the original, the recut version with Raymond Burr isn't as good. Dr Serizawa is such a great character I wrote a song about him years ago.

I haven't seen any of the post-70s flicks aside from the Matthew Broderick shitshow, but all the movies from the 50s-70s are at the very least entertaining.

Fond memories of Nigel & Stef from Vids introducing a season of the films late night on Channel 4 one Christmas, back when it was good.

Spiteface

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on May 07, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Isn't that Godzilla: Final Wars the 2004 50th anniversary blow-out film? Wasn't so keen on that one but that bit was fun.

Yeah, Final Wars has "Zilla"[nb]Called such because Toho felt the 1998 remake "Took the God out of Godzilla)[/nb], rendered in obvious CGI show up and bodied by the real godzilla in seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

There is another dig at the 1998 film in one of the other Millennium films where someone brings up an alleged appearance of Godzilla in america, and it's dismissed as having been another monster the Americans thought was Godzilla. I forget which one that is specifically.

Anyway, Japanese monsters > all other monsters.

Where else would you see superheroes contend with a giant Pot Noodle?

Or my personal favourite, STARFISH HITLER:

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 07, 2020, 01:20:35 PM
I haven't seen any of the post-70s flicks aside from the Matthew Broderick shitshow, but all the movies from the 50s-70s are at the very least entertaining.

I really like the Heisei films. Huxleys Babkins already mentioned my pick of those, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.

Spiteface

I suggested Ultraman earlier, and realised the official Ultraman Youtube channel launched something called "Stay at Home with Ultraman" which includes curated full episodes being uploaded with subtitles. Should have linked something for that! First one is an episode of 1972's Ultraman Ace:

https://youtu.be/A0LF5GhJQGs

There are other full episodes uploaded there, but they don't have english subtitles. You can just fast forward to the bits where Ultraman fights the kaiju, though.

idunnosomename

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on May 07, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
well in All Out Attack there's a mention that the US have had a shitty little godzilla attack them which isnt really a cameo if im honest but it's a direct reference to the US film as if it happened in their universe but Japan didn't care. "Zilla" gets smacked down in Australia in Final Wars

oh whoops sorry youtube link above

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Spiteface on May 06, 2020, 09:12:39 PM
Also, it has one of my favourite Godzilla suit designs.

If you don't necessarily need to watch films, may I recommend the Ultraman franchise? He even gets to fight Godzilla in one episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbmVl8Li6GQ

"Jirass" was a made out of two old Godzilla suits, with a frill around the neck to "hide" the join. Ultraman is made by Tsuburaya productions, founded by Eiji Tsuburaya, who was responsible for the effects on a lot of those early Godzilla films.

That's really funny. I thought I had seen all of those before.

Spiteface

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 07, 2020, 10:19:11 PM
well in All Out Attack there's a mention that the US have had a shitty little godzilla attack them which isnt really a cameo if im honest but it's a direct reference to the US film as if it happened in their universe but Japan didn't care.

They cared, alright. Enough to start another reboot - Godzilla 2000 basically happened in response to it. Godzilla vs Destroyah in 1995 was meant to be Godzilla's japanese swan-song, as Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla didn't do well.

Abnormal Palm

I would watch all these but I can't find them anywhere :(

I don't use a computer at home btw

Spiteface

Bumping this because Tsuburaya's streaming the new Ultraman show, Ultraman Z, on YouTube as it airs in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5QcZs1K8k

Something to note here, is Gomess, the kaiju at the beginning. The original suit for that was basically the suit from 1964's Mothra vs Godzilla with added bits.

Pete23

Amazon have got the Criterion collection of Showa films (the first 15 from 1954 to 1975) in their Prime Day sale for £104.99 (£45 off): https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODZILLA-BOX-1954-1975-CRITERION-COLLECTION/dp/B07WNRPD3J

Glebe

C4 had a Godzilla season one Christmas many years ago, that moment (from Godzilla vs. Megalon, I think) had me and a mate in absolute hysterics, just incredible.

"Cheers Jet Jaguar mate, see you again for a pint and that, nice one."