Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Godzilla and friends

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 02, 2020, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Quote from: Pete23 on October 14, 2020, 09:53:30 AM
Amazon have got the Criterion collection of Showa films (the first 15 from 1954 to 1975) in their Prime Day sale for £104.99 (£45 off): https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODZILLA-BOX-1954-1975-CRITERION-COLLECTION/dp/B07WNRPD3J

If anyone here hasn't got this yet - get it. That's a steal.

Chedney Honks

I picked this up, too. Really really enjoying it. I also got the Heisei DVD set on the way from the States so looking forward to seeing some of that stuff, too. Might have to get Godzilla 1984 and Biollante separately, though. There note included.

Consignia

Spiteface

Ordered a bunch of Ultraman blurays recently. One of which was boxset of Ultra Q, the very first one from 1965, before Ultraman was a thing. Basically a show in the vein of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Being Japanese, and being produced by Tsuburaya (as in Eiji Tsuburaya the guy who did the special effects for the classic Godzilla movies), there are kaiju, and right there in Episode 1, is this guy:

This is Gomess, and he's the suit from 1964's Mothra vs Godzilla, and Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, nicknamed the "MosuGoji" suit with bits added on. Also the guy inside the suit is none-other than Haruo Nakajima, the suit actor for Godzilla himself.

The first-ever Ultra series Kaiju was in effect, Godzilla.

The suit was reused again with a new head to make Jirass, who I mentioned earlier in the thread. Tsuburaya have also repurposed one or two other Toho suits for Ultraman shows as well.

If you like Godzilla, and similar kaiju stuff, give Ultraman a spin. It's really good.

Here's the Ultra Q episode:

https://youtu.be/UPyvjeG-kLQ

Tsuburaya uploads Ultraman episodes to Youtube, no complete series, just select episodes up for 2 weeks at a time.

magval

I like the bit where Godzilla's stupid son says "Godzilla says a have ta learn ta fight m'own battles, ya know?". Like something Bobby Hill would say, but with Hank's voice.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Spiteface on November 01, 2020, 02:32:43 PM
Ordered a bunch of Ultraman blurays recently. One of which was boxset of Ultra Q, the very first one from 1965, before Ultraman was a thing. Basically a show in the vein of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Being Japanese, and being produced by Tsuburaya (as in Eiji Tsuburaya the guy who did the special effects for the classic Godzilla movies), there are kaiju, and right there in Episode 1, is this guy:
That's so interesting, thanks for the recommendation! Watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot. The black and white film looks beautiful, another thing it has in common with The Twilight Zone. I had no idea the Ultraman franchise began with something like this. I've barely gotten into kaiju stuff aside from Godzilla 1954/Shin Godzilla, but it all seems so interesting to me. Godzilla, Ultraman, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and all the other tokusatsu series... I'd love to get loads of big blu ray collections and just watch EVERYTHING, and stare at the beautiful boxes on my shelf haha

Spiteface

The Ultraman stuff is coming out through Mill Creek, and although they're American and claim to be region A blurays, they're not actually region-locked in anyway, unlike Shout Factory's Super Sentai DVD sets and Generation Kikaida's obscenely overpriced Kamen Rider V3 DVD set, which I appreciate very much:

https://www.millcreekent.com/collections/the-ultra-verse

A few shows I want specifically are yet to be announced, but I'm sure the one in my avatar, Ultraman Leo (aka Seven/Dan Moroboshi is a crazy sadist) is coming. Really want last year's Ultraman Taiga as well, as I didn't even seek out fansubs for that out out of fear the show got licensed and the people subbing it unoffically, dropped it (happens with these things). The current show, Ultraman Z is cool as well.

after seeing the original, I want to check out Neo Ultra Q now as well, just to see how they modernise it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on October 14, 2020, 10:06:49 AM

C4 had a Godzilla season one Christmas many years ago, that moment (from Godzilla vs. Megalon, I think) had me and a mate in absolute hysterics, just incredible.

"Cheers Jet Jaguar mate, see you again for a pint and that, nice one."

Can absolutely not go without this being mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxV8Bf8ND4

Glebe

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 02, 2020, 02:11:40 PMCan absolutely not go without this being mentioned - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxV8Bf8ND4

Haha, brilliant! Great to finally get those words translated! ;)

Chedney Honks

Really tempting stuff, Spiteface.

My Heisei set turned up and I've been loving it. The English language actors and dialogue in Vs. King Ghidorah are fucking amazing, as is the whole film. Great action sequences, ludicrous plot delivered entirely straight (which is why it's so charming and forgivable) and just a wonderful cozy atmosphere. There's something both shit and amazing about Godzilla films, I've found. The wouldn't forgive so much in almost anything else but there's a commitment to it which is very very charming. The physicality goes a long fucking way to selling the effects and big sequences, and it's often very creative film-making and almost always very sincere.

The original is still a genuinely oppressive and saddening film, and I love the destruction scenes. Imaginative and engrossing. There are plenty of other crackers along the way, though. Wonderful series of films.

bgmnts

Fuck I need another Jet Jaguar avatar.

Chedney Honks

Feel like pure shit just want Biollante with English subs.

Spiteface

I'd love a boxset of the Heisei and Millennium Godzillas. Have downloaded versions of them, but the Showa Criterion set is really nice, and legitimately owning this stuff is just better.

Been wanting to make another go at a Tokusatsu thread for some of this kind of thing. Last one died on its arse, which is to be expected for something even more niche than anime is. Most people think it's all Power Rangers anyway.

Chedney Honks

I'm interested in the thread. Six months ago I would have thought Godzilla was total fucking shit. Turns out it is, but not in a bad way. It's fucking great.

I think I'm ready for tokusatsu.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Spiteface on November 03, 2020, 10:00:16 PM
I'd love a boxset of the Heisei and Millennium Godzillas. Have downloaded versions of them, but the Showa Criterion set is really nice, and legitimately owning this stuff is just better.

Been wanting to make another go at a Tokusatsu thread for some of this kind of thing. Last one died on its arse, which is to be expected for something even more niche than anime is. Most people think it's all Power Rangers anyway.
I'm going through the Godzillas and I'm planning on watching some Ultraman entirely because of this thread so I'd love a tokosatsu one!

Chedney Honks

Heisei Gamera is brilliant. New boxset coming January.

Pete23

Cheers for this, got them ordered from Amazon straight away. They're my favourite "man in suit" movies of all time and having a single story running through the trilogy works really well. I still cherish my old PlayNation dub of Guardian of the Universe with the addition of a techno soundtrack, even if most of it sounded like they were taking the piss (I think a policeman at one point does actually say "Hello, hello, what's been going on here?" when he finds a pile of giant mutant bird poo).

Guardian with added techno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8Yqlnxxx8

By the end of the trilogy the effects are looking pretty sweet and Gamera is such a badass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdInA5kcN9o

Chedney Honks

Currently watching Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, which is probably the best film title ever. It's got a wonderful turn of the millennium uncertainty about what it wants to say or where it fits in, so it just goes FUCKIN MONSTERUUUUUU. The synth soundtrack is shitly bad-ass.

Chedney Honks

I've now seen Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack twice in about a week. Absolute bona fide large Ronald McDonald Big Mac burger meal of a movie with Sprite.

It's so abundantly great that they don't even mention that Baragon is also in it, although he is admittedly a bit shit as a monstre.

The synth soundtrack is the best I've heard in one of these movies outside of the original theme which is reused in loads of them because it's so good.

It's almost like a spacey Carpenter horror riff, totally lifts every scene. Yes, there are shots where the monstres look a bit plasticky/Power Ranger, yes, the human story stuff is goofy at times, but yes, it's also great stuff most of the time, great protagonist young woman actor who is so late 90s/00s, really tough but also cute but also shuns any dude who's interested in her because she just wants to do a great job as a journalist and a daughter.

The fight sequences between the assorted monstres are obviously the highlights, some great nihilistic destruction where you both care about the main characters and want them to live and also want everyone else to get atomic breathed into carbon. Truly, it is Giant Monstres All-Out Attacking each other for about them last hour. The actual ending is also great. It's not love conquers all, it's hate is the ultimate force.