Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball ‘20 vs COVID-19

Started by Ferris, May 02, 2020, 09:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 16, 2020, 04:06:06 PM
Game of the day, the Yankees (*spit*) come to town back in 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTeD5eKiVk

Halladay of course a terrific pitcher, but this was an absolute gem. It's great to watch a master in their prime go to work, I could watch him pitch all day - nice short windup and that tremendous cutter. A very smart player and courteous professional.

Some things never change, crowd looked lower than the times we were there. Those two old ladies were missing too.

Ferris

Ferris' game of the day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEvh6OpewLE

I remember the first game of baseball I ever watched on October 24, 2012 because I remember seeing Tim Lincecum throw 2 1/3 and look absolutely dominant. I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I remember liking what I saw.

That's an absolute gem, from the following 2013 season. Big Time Timmy Jim is the kind of player I like, sort of weird looking underdog who pitches smart with that wonky delivery. It's a cool Giants team as well, noted oddball Hunter Pence in the outfield and Pablo Sandoval from back before he became a punchline.

I'm cleaning the kitchen with this on. Lovely stuff.

Ferris

This game is just lovely. I don't know who the colour commentators are (and they'll never top Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler, the Jays' regular guys), but they have the same gentle, low-stakes self-deprecating conversational style that is so nice to listen to. It's like the radio, but it's your two favourite uncles and they don't play records. Little jokes, telling old yarns, stumbling over names.

No other sport in the world has this. It's one of the things that makes baseball so special (to me, anyway).

BlodwynPig

I thought you had rage quit to write your book?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 25, 2020, 08:11:21 PM
I thought you had rage quit to write your book?

I'd never rage quit baseball

Ferris

BASEBALL IS BACK!!

It's a shitty short season, hobbled by greedy owners and a restless players union, with no crowds and an absurd playoff structure and a stupid NL DH rule change all of which is being pushed through by an awful commissioner and I hate it. It's the Red Sox and I can only get the home broadcast which is Dennis Eckersley and some Boston yahoo yuckin' it up about how great Fenway is, and the Sox are winning and Jays pitching looks a bit shonky...

...and it's just magic. I love it. I could sit and watch this for hours.

Ferris

(And as I type this, Tellez just hit a two run bomb right over their stupid green monster!)

Ferris

Jays tie it up in the 9th on an errant throw, then a go-ahead 2 run BOMB* to win the game.

*hit by nearly-man outfielder Derek Fisher who is one of the most surprisingly bald men in baseball. Seriously, google him.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 03, 2020, 07:45:13 PM
Is there anything in baseball that has never happened?

(just getting that in before rfv shows up)

I know this was sort of a gag question, but I read the other day that no player has ever worn numbers 80, 86, 89, or 92 in the majors, and I meant to post that in here but couldn't be arsed. Also something like 90% of all numbers selected by players are under 50. Interesting innit.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 02:18:51 AM
BASEBALL IS BACK!!

It's a shitty short season, hobbled by greedy owners and a restless players union, with no crowds and an absurd playoff structure and a stupid NL DH rule change all of which is being pushed through by an awful commissioner and I hate it. It's the Red Sox and I can only get the home broadcast which is Dennis Eckersley and some Boston yahoo yuckin' it up about how great Fenway is, and the Sox are winning and Jays pitching looks a bit shonky...

...and it's just magic. I love it. I could sit and watch this for hours.
Is there a good article outlining the changes? The old man likes his baseball (and I"ll be pillaging that reddit thread for him) and I'd like to let him know what's going on

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 04:07:29 AM
Jays tie it up in the 9th on an errant throw, then a go-ahead 2 run BOMB* to win the game.

*hit by nearly-man outfielder Derek Fisher who is one of the most surprisingly bald men in baseball. Seriously, google him.

sucking me back in...Jays fightbacks are the best fightbacks

Ferris

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on July 22, 2020, 05:16:01 AM
Is there a good article outlining the changes? The old man likes his baseball (and I"ll be pillaging that reddit thread for him) and I'd like to let him know what's going on

The 4 off the top of my head (and definitely aren't using this short season as an excuse for a permanent rollout next full season)

- Designated hitters in the NL (this is a bad thing)
- ludicrous new playoff structure which means 15/30 teams make it to post-season (definitely not an excuse to sell "post season" merch to more people)
- 10th inning onwards begin with an automatic runner on 2nd (awful, awful idea)
- each pitcher must either complete an inning, or face 3 consecutive batters before being replaced, whichever comes first

I can't adequately put into words how much I dislike all of these rule changes. Along with the pitch clock and removing the requirement for a pitcher to throw 4 balls for an intentional walk, this commissioner is identifying all the word bits of baseball that make it fun and different and eradicating them because he's useless. They aren't using computer assisted strike zones though are they? That would be too sensible.

I don't have an article to hand, but those are the main points I think

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 22, 2020, 08:08:38 AM
sucking me back in...Jays fightbacks are the best fightbacks

I was happy just to watch a game, the last minute win was just icing on the cake

El Unicornio, mang

Hadn't thought about the spring training games, was eagerly anticipating the season starting proper on Friday. I guess the lack of crowd will be less apparent than it is for football (particularly teams like Tampa Bay) although the increasingly drunk hecklers behind home plate and general relaxed chattering hum of the crowd will be notable by their absence. It's one of the few televised sports where you can actually people watch. The new rules are rubbish and only 60 games is just not going to feel right, but glad to have it back.

Famous Mortimer

I like the rule about the reliever having to pitch to three batters (or end an inning). The endless pitching changes were boring as hell. The other rule changes - universal DH and a runner starting on 2nd in extra innings - are a joke, though. Baseball should not solely be in the hands of 30 psychopathic billionaires (yes, I'm aware this is slight hyperbole, but not much).

I want games to be shorter. https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/misc.shtml - so I'd be demanding the rules about time between pitches and stepping out of the box be enforced. Every chunk of dead air makes it more likely that a fan will just switch off and wait for the recap later that night. Or not bother paying to go to a game again.

But to the actual game, the Cardinals haven't done much of anything interesting since last season, which seems to be a trend for them. This is the last year of Yadier Molina's contract, probably Adam Wainwright's last year too, but given their lack of willingness to make the big purchases, I see a lot of middle-of-the-table baseball in my near future as unless they tear it all down, they'll be getting middling draft picks and not getting any exciting free agents.

Talking Toronto, I remember when they came to town, I bought tickets in right field so I could watch Jose Bautista at work. It was actually exciting to watch him, and there were kids with his jersey trying to get him to sign it or just acknowledge them (he didn't). There are lots of good players on the Cardinals, but no really exciting ones.

BlodwynPig

I want games to last days, the longer the better. Deep into the early hours, sweat soaked pitchers, only the tweakers and sugar drink overdosed cognisant. Coyotes in the outfield, eerie sounds from the bull pen. I'd move back to North America in an instant if that happened.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 22, 2020, 01:40:40 PM
I want games to last days, the longer the better. Deep into the early hours, sweat soaked pitchers, only the tweakers and sugar drink overdosed cognisant. Coyotes in the outfield, eerie sounds from the bull pen. I'd move back to North America in an instant if that happened.

Yeah, but that should be because there are fifteen innings played, not because the pitcher stands around psyching himself for a minute between pitches. Pitch clock enforcement now please. And yeah, the DH can fuck off too. Even if the Mets stand to benefit from it slightly with their excess of players who can hit but not field very well.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't mind long games but definitely would like to see less of the batters stepping out of the box, adjusting their gloves after every pitch, or stopping play cos they're "not ready".

Ferris

It's all part of the

**MINDGAMES**

BlodwynPig

Are the Bisons back in action? Catch some late night b-team action from the boondocks

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 22, 2020, 07:49:51 PM
Are the Bisons back in action? Catch some late night b-team action from the boondocks

Hmm I think so? Haven't checked actually

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 07:50:26 PM
Hmm I think so? Haven't checked actually

seems not, but

QuoteWatch any 2019 Bisons game for FREE

BlodwynPig

Will be getting my Party Deck season ticket for 2021.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 22, 2020, 04:14:53 AM
90% of all numbers selected by players are under 50. Interesting innit.

Maybe they all picked a favorite basketball  player's  number. Ref shows number of player who committed a foul by holding up fingers, 55 is highest bb number.

Famous Mortimer

The Dodgers just spent a fair chunk of change on Mookie Betts - 12 years, $365 million.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/dodgers-extend-mookie-betts-12-years.html

That makes one less big name free agent I could vaguely dream about one day being a Cardinal. There's a couple of pretty flat free agent classes coming up.

Ferris

I had him penciled in as the Jays long term right fielder. Bollocks.

I don't even know who's coming up for free agency really, the Jays need some upgrades in the outfield. Castellanos is around? Maybe Springer/Hicks as well? I saw Pham went to the padres.

Famous Mortimer

The decline phase of Springer's career and the likelihood of Castellanos opting out is about it (provided neither of them sign extensions before the end of the season).

I doubt Castellanos plays much OF in his career going forward, now that there are going to be 30 starting DH spots.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-kjsvgAlE

Seeing as we were talking about him, here's a video about Jose Bautista's weird career arc.

Ferris

I was in the 200s for Jose's last game with the Jays, it was one of my most memorable baseball experiences.

He really should just sign a 1 day contract with the Jays and retire.