Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:01:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Baseball ‘20 vs COVID-19

Started by Ferris, May 02, 2020, 09:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Oh wait, season starts today. Damn google saying "Friday" since it starts at 8 mins past midnight

Famous Mortimer

Baseball is back!

What's great is seeing Black Lives Matter written on the mound, and Cardinals starter Jack Flaherty (among others) kneeling for the National Anthem (they wore BLM jerseys during batting practice too, apparently). The TV guy read a statement about Flaherty, saying the protests around the murder of George Floyd opened his eyes. It's put the racist fans of the game on the back foot, as Flaherty is a beloved player and the future of the team, and has for once allowed me not to feel vaguely embarrassed at the political stance of my favourite players / team - Albert Pujols went to that Glenn Beck rally when he was a Cardinal, for example.

Anyway, now I can enjoy both baseball and the delicious tears of people who don't seem to notice politics when it's fellating military heroes, but do when it's suggesting the police ought not murder so many black people.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 25, 2020, 02:44:28 AM

What's great is seeing Black Lives Matter written on the mound,

Really cool that MLB backwards is BLM! People saying they're not going to watch baseball again because of the kneeling, Jesus. It's not even during the national anthem...

A-Rod was a bit embarrassing on the opening game, saying "I love it!" every time he was asked what he thought of the new rules. He's got to be in tight with the commissioner. How is J-Lo ever going to trust him when he says "I love it" to her ever again??

I'm struggling a bit to get used to the cardboard cutout fans, imagine trying to explain this to people a year ago?

Dex Sawash

Spent longer than I should have working out why the fans were made from miniature jumbotrons.

Famous Mortimer

It's a fun idea, I think. Although I can't believe internet pranksters haven't tried to sneak Jimmy Savile or Harold Shipman in there somewhere.

So, the first series are over, how did your team do? Cardinals performed okay against the Pirates, but boy oh boy did I not miss the commentary. The worst platitudes, repeated over and over again. I think it's time for me to pony up for an MLB.tv subscription and not just watch via Reddit, just so I can enable the "no commentary" option.

Ferris

Jays slumped. Some very poor bullpen management had 2 winning positions go to shit late in the game, so instead of 3-0 we are 1-2.

It'll be ok, the hitting and starting pitching has been good so that's something.

El Unicornio, mang

Looks like nobody managed a sweep of their first 3 games. Not sure I can pick a favourite this season but the Yankees and Dodgers seem odds on. My Cubs should make the playoffs but don't fancy their chances to advance much.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 27, 2020, 02:53:28 PM
I think it's time for me to pony up for an MLB.tv subscription and not just watch via Reddit, just so I can enable the "no commentary" option.

They have a 3-day free trial. I guess 50 quid for the choice of about 2000 games is pretty good, although they also have a free game every day. I support the Cubs but I actually like watching other teams just to mix it up. The commentating can be hit or miss, there's a couple of proper "America is the greatest" types who I can't stand. Jon Miller and Joe Morgan were always great, I'd be happy to just have them commentating on every game.

I think the virtual animated crowds that Fox used were a big fail. I actually thought there were real fans in the stadium until I saw closer up shots and realised they were lifted from MLB the Show.

I can imagine it being really confusing for older people seeing that

Famous Mortimer

Tonight's Marlins game has been cancelled due to a bunch of the players and staff catching COVID. There has to be half a chance the season doesn't make it past the end of the week, because lots of players in the games I saw weren't respecting the no-fist-bump rule.

Ferris

I think the Padres are 3-0?

Also FM I saw your Cards finally called it a day on my boy Bret Cecil. I mean yeah he was a busted flush and had resorted to side arming his 88mph fastball but I was sad to see him to. He was dominant when I was first getting into baseball in the mid 2010s, so it's the end of an era (sort of).

With the Marlins calling a game off already, I'll be amazed if every team manages 40 games.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 27, 2020, 03:13:27 PM
Also FM I saw your Cards finally called it a day on my boy Bret Cecil. I mean yeah he was a busted flush and had resorted to side arming his 88mph fastball but I was sad to see him to. He was dominant when I was first getting into baseball in the mid 2010s, so it's the end of an era (sort of).
Word round the campfire is his new sidearm technique was barely hitting 80, so it was kinda inevitable. Pretty much his entire Cardinals tenure, he was either awful or injured. I remember being pleased the Cardinals had signed him, too.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 27, 2020, 02:55:23 PM
Jays slumped. Some very poor bullpen management had 2 winning positions go to shit late in the game, so instead of 3-0 we are 1-2.

It'll be ok, the hitting and starting pitching has been good so that's something.

what year did you say they would come good again? 2021, I think...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 27, 2020, 03:08:26 PM
Looks like nobody managed a sweep of their first 3 games. Not sure I can pick a favourite this season but the Yankees and Dodgers seem odds on. My Cubs should make the playoffs but don't fancy their chances to advance much.

I guess the Cubs will have to be my second team after getting a cubs t-shirt in Chicago last year

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 07:44:58 PM
what year did you say they would come good again? 2021, I think...

Yeah this was the upswing, especially with the Red Sox in the shit for a few years.

That said, I see the Phillies v Yankees series has been called off as the Phillies played the Marlins over the weekend and they've had an outbreak. If they're preemptively skipping series in this way, I doubt the season will continue.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 27, 2020, 02:53:28 PM
It's a fun idea, I think. Although I can't believe internet pranksters haven't tried to sneak Jimmy Savile or Harold Shipman in there somewhere.

There's probably been plenty of that in the other sports that have had cardboard fans for the last couple of months. This is the only example I'm aware of though.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 27, 2020, 07:45:55 PM
I guess the Cubs will have to be my second team after getting a cubs t-shirt in Chicago last year

Do it, it's as good a rationale as any to support a team!

The Cleveland Indians are my second team because I liked the film Major League as a kid. Had a Giants phase too, lovely stadium.

BlodwynPig

7 hits, 4-1 victory. Danny Jansen fast becoming a favourite.

Ferris

El Unicornio, mang

My inner child couldn't help but giggle when the guy on the right got up to pitch in tonight's White Sox game

Famous Mortimer

Cardinals pitcher Miles Mikolas is out for the season, and will be undergoing surgery very soon (or he already had it, whatever). He seemed like a decent guy, so it'll be a bummer not getting to watch him pitch.

EOLAN

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 29, 2020, 02:41:34 PM
Cardinals pitcher Miles Mikolas is out for the season, and will be undergoing surgery very soon (or he already had it, whatever). He seemed like a decent guy, so it'll be a bummer not getting to watch him pitch.

Probably cos A. Bummer will be pitching himself for the White Sox.

Famous Mortimer

I didn't even realise I'd re-used the word. Dammit.

I remember when the Pirates had a guy called Bastardo pitching for them, and I bought tickets near the away team bullpen so I could have a little chuckle every time I saw him. But then he didn't show up til the 7th inning and there were too many kids around for me to feel comfortable chanting "come on you Bastardo!"

Ferris

Did anyone see the handbags at the dodgers/astros game?

Joe Kelly was always a bit of a favourite of mine the old lunatic. Plunking Bregman with a 96mph fastball up is certainly a power move.

Famous Mortimer

He was always a lot of fun when he was a Cardinal. Good work that lad. Didn't he, a few years ago, bean someone and then give them the whole "come on, let's have some" hand gestures?

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Joe Kelly suspended for 8 games, the equivalent of 21.6 games in a regular season.

Ridiculous.

BlodwynPig

Pretty light for all that underage sexing

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2020, 10:02:16 PM
and another

He just hit 2 more, I think he's the MLB home run leader as of right now

Famous Mortimer

Bunch of positive results in the Cardinals camp, today's game postponed. And given the teams they've played and the teams that those teams have played in the incubation period, this might be it for the season. I guess we'll see how desperate they are to make money?