Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:14:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Craig Charles - Live on Earth (a historical curiosity from 1995)

Started by Jim Bob, May 03, 2020, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

ive never seen him but apparently when he does DJ sets in the north west he's juggling them with his radio show and doesnt come on till 1 am (oof!) and is in a big castle and doesnt stick around to sign your starbug posters afterwards

Jim Bob

I've started watching Craig Charles' second stand-up set from 2000 now; Sickbag.  It really is vile, salacious, chauvinistic (at times borderline misogynistic) stuff; it wouldn't feel out of place coming from the mouths of your Jethros or Roy Chubby Browns.  I suspect that were Craig Charles white, he'd be chucking in some racist gags for good measure and all.  Not only that but a good 60-70% of the material in Sickbag is recycled from his Live on Earth set from 5 years prior... because it was soooooo good the first time around, right?  Honestly, watching these two stand-ups back-to-back has soured my view of Charles somewhat.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 04, 2020, 06:59:07 AM
I've started watching Craig Charles' second stand-up set from 2000 now

Are you trying to atone for something?

Twit 2

Friend of mine met him when he was DJing in Norwich, a few years ago. Reports seem to chime with whats been said: apparently, he was surprisingly down to Earth and very, very funny fucked off his head on an astonishing amount of drugs as the evening wore on.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Ray Travez on May 04, 2020, 08:30:32 AM
Are you trying to atone for something?

Just bored shitless during quarantine and running out of worthwhile things to occupy my time.

I'll be watching that wall-papering video and reading that crochet magazine by this time tomorrow.

alan nagsworth

Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show? More like Craig Charles Sunken Foal Show!

You know, because K-hole. Ketamine. It's a tranquilliser for horses. Sinking into a .. oh fuck off  *fires fake gun into audience*  HARD TO IMAGINE ISN'T IT

thenoise

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 04, 2020, 06:59:07 AM
I've started watching Craig Charles' second stand-up set from 2000 now; Sickbag.  It really is vile, salacious, chauvinistic (at times borderline misogynistic) stuff; it wouldn't feel out of place coming from the mouths of your Jethros or Roy Chubby Browns.  I suspect that were Craig Charles white, he'd be chucking in some racist gags for good measure and all.  Not only that but a good 60-70% of the material in Sickbag is recycled from his Live on Earth set from 5 years prior... because it was soooooo good the first time around, right?  Honestly, watching these two stand-ups back-to-back has soured my view of Charles somewhat.

Sampled 5 minutes from the middle.  It's 'trad' jokes and vaguely 'topical' stuff lifted from the likes of sickipedia (or whatever the equivalent was at the time).  Reminded me of the Viz parody of Chubby 'My wife's fookin' coont' etc.

Weren't a lot of comics doing this in the 90s?  Putting out a VHS of 'too hot for TV' type stuff, with the obligatory 18 rating?  Not sure that makes it better, but wasn't he just thinking 'this will sell, bloke off the Red Dwarf tells mucky jokes, that'll keep me in crack money for a few weeks'?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: thenoise on May 04, 2020, 11:33:32 AM
Sampled 5 minutes from the middle.  It's 'trad' jokes and vaguely 'topical' stuff lifted from the likes of sickipedia (or whatever the equivalent was at the time). 

Not defending the set as its awful, but that was the entire point of the set, which he explained at the beginning. The only difference with him and Gervais is that Gervais steals from the internet and tries to pass it off as his own material.

Blinder Data

Met Craig Charles once while he was doing his Funk and Soul show on radio. From the other side of the glass, to my surprise it looked like a well-oiled machine, in a good way - he just makes it sound so groovy and laid-back on air!

Chatted a bit and he seemed genuinely interested in our band, so IMO he is a nice lad (tho obvs I have heard stories of him being off his face at gigs a lot)

I will not watch the video on the OP, sorry

Jockice

Will I do my thrilling anecdote here about the time I was walking up a deserted lane just outside Sheffield city centre and Craig Charles appeared going in the other direction and despite not knowing each other we both nodded as we went past? Or the time I saw him in The Stag boozer and neither of us nodded to each other.

It's all exciting stuff my life. Bet you can't wait to read my autobiography.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ There's going to be a whole chapter devoted to that phone call to Hugh Cornwell, I hope ( in much the same way as There's going to be a whole chapter in my autobiography devoted to that time in Slovakia when Julie Christie bought me a pint).

markburgle

Quote from: Jockice on May 04, 2020, 12:44:13 PM
Will I do my thrilling anecdote here about the time I was walking up a deserted lane just outside Sheffield city centre and Craig Charles appeared going in the other direction and despite not knowing each other we both nodded as we went past? Or the time I saw him in The Stag boozer and neither of us nodded to each other.

It's all exciting stuff my life. Bet you can't wait to read my autobiography.

I would but I'm worried I'll plagiarise you

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

My Craig Charles anecdote:
I saw him at Glastonbury 1986, when he was still plying his poetry , mainly. There was some bloke at the front of the crowd who was ranting away at the still fresh- faced non- crack smoking perky scouse funster , he really didn't like him at all. Cheeky Craig kept on baiting him throughout his set, with comments like " You'll lose yer voice, I've got a microphone", and the like. His parting shot, before he left the stage, to his non- fan was " Here's some advice- I've had yer mum.", to general laughter. The het- up heckler ran away to the backstage area.
Just as the Go- Betweens were setting up, some Glasto backstage staff type came onstage to ask Grant McLennan to deliver the request " Is there a doctor in the house?", so I can only assume the enraged person who really didn't like Are Craig ( He really did seem very angry indeed) had managed to storm the backstage area, and give the future Lister quite a twatting. Ah, well.

poodlefaker

Love it when he plays a crucial new remix of an old soul tune by some kickin' crew in Holland and all they've done is turn the drums up a bit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: poodlefaker on May 04, 2020, 01:04:48 PM
Love it when he plays a crucial new remix of an old soul tune by some kickin' crew in Holland and all they've done is turn the drums up a bit.

To be fair that's what The Bamboos did with their cover of tighten up and it's mint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TyIhY3LBMw