Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

China

Started by Abnormal Palm, May 03, 2020, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

This is pretty much as fucked up as anywhere else.

I've largely tuned out from this sub because day to day is heavy as fuck these days but it's interesting how China is progressing with their spin. This follows several weeks of African/foreign 'friends' being banned from restaurants and shops and apartment buildings.

Life does seem to be gathering some momentum out in Wuhan but any notion that they've gone back to 'normal' is false. There's no longer a lockdown but there is a lot of testing, taking temperature, tracking app traffic light systems, quiet streets and public transport. People are allowed to go round to each other's houses for dinner and stuff and numbers remain officially very low but will be interesting to see what happens this mon. I think that will give us something meaningful to look to, even if our 'strategy' is now on a totally different timeline due to poor communication and behaviour from 10% of people.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh a screenshot of a Facebook post showing a picture of signs written in Chinese, this is definitely a reputable source

Abnormal Palm

Oh you started a sentence with oh

I have several local friends in Wuhan, and plenty of Chinese and foreign mates across China. The anti-laowai rhetoric has moved up several gears, unfortunately. Plenty of my Chinese contacts on WeChat have shared stuff about America having planted the virus and foreigners now being the carriers/close the borders, etc. It's a bit shit.

Dewt

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 03, 2020, 08:20:01 PMPlenty of my Chinese contacts on WeChat have shared stuff about America having planted the virus
Good.

Funcrusher

It's possible that the virus was carried to China by birds flying from the US or Canada.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 03, 2020, 09:00:01 PM
It's possible that the virus was carried to China by birds flying from the US or Canada.

Aeroplanes?

EOLAN

Oh sure the Spanish Flu probably started in Kansas.

Abnormal Palm

It's difficult to know whether Americans or Chinese nationals are more ignorant.

Dex Sawash

Funcrusher

Quote from: EOLAN on May 03, 2020, 09:20:30 PM
Oh sure the Spanish Flu probably started in Kansas.

It may have.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 03, 2020, 09:21:26 PM
It's difficult to know whether Americans or Chinese nationals are more ignorant.
I'm pretty sure Americans have a 'free' media.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on May 03, 2020, 11:14:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Americans have a 'free' media.

The illusion of a "free media" makes Americans much more ignorant overall because it causes them to trust the state propaganda they are being fed, whereas people in more authoritarian regimes are very skeptical of what they are told.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 03, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
This is pretty much as fucked up as anywhere else.

How does a handwritten sign (allegedly) in a random Wuhan market compare to the U.S. Secretary of State openly declaring that Covid-19 is a Chinese biological weapon?

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 04, 2020, 02:35:16 AM
How does a handwritten sign (allegedly) in a random Wuhan market compare to the U.S. Secretary of State openly declaring that Covid-19 is a Chinese biological weapon?

I'm not sure he is making that comparison, is he?

Abnormal Palm

It may not have been clear, I shared that image as an example of the consequences of the political messages in China. I assume you know that the CCP have been pushing the line that this began in the US and was imported to China? They've also been openly mocking the US response - quite accurately - but in an incredibly petty and gloating way:

https://news.trust.org/item/20200502092158-uy3me

My mates in Wuhan are intelligent and aware enough to discount anything that the Chinese government says, while also thinking that the US government are opportunistic racist twats, but a lot of people in China are lapping up the PR spin and celebrating the cluster fuck in the States. What was an unpleasant, growing nationalism over the last five years has moved up several gears recently in light of international criticism of their response. To set up another crude comparison, I really don't know whether Americans or Chinese nationals are more thin-skinned.

I posted about the issues Africans have been having a few weeks ago (in GB, to no replies) and that's now even worse. Africans with residence permits being evicted from apartments and university dorms and having to sleep rough because the Chinese govt has said that local transmission is basically nil and all new cases are being imported.

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on May 04, 2020, 07:15:58 AM
I'm not sure he is making that comparison, is he?

What was "anywhere else" referring to?

Rising Chinese nationalism might have more to do with the insane xenophobic bigots in control of the world's most violent imperial superpower going on the offensive against China for 4 years and now deliberately blaming them for engineering a massive global pandemic, more than it does CCP propaganda, but I don't know just a hunch.

Abnormal Palm

Non-combative questions:

Do you know anyone who lives in China? Have you ever lived in China?

I'm not trying to be difficult but thin-skinned Chinese nationalism has been a thing since at least 2004, and I will assume it existed before I was there...

America being absolutely shit tier over the last four years has definitely made things worse but Xi has been the driver of nationalist sentiment for the last seven or eight. No doubt whatsoever. China 2011 was a very different place to China 2013.

I heard the Don Trump refer to this place as 'GI-NAHH...'.

'GI-NUH...' haha

Bazooka

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 04, 2020, 04:03:27 PM
Non-combative questions:

Do you know anyone who lives in China? Have you ever lived in China?

Yes and yes.

Most Chinese people I speak to about none Chinese things, which doesn't happen often because it doesn't interest them, but then most people I know well in the UK have an insular global view, but nationalism is quite abrupt in China yes, but with the young it seems its purely because they are so focused on their future and the immense pressure they face within their country that the mind set is almost soley China centric, censorship doesn't help, but again not a globally unique thought focus entirely,but it's enforced there.

The Chinese people I hangout with including my girlfriend are all in the 25-45 age group, educated, from the big cities and have travelled so they are much more open minded, and as far as I know wouldn't lap up the concept that people from African nations or Americans with soak you with corona juice, that said, they do think cold water and cold fruit will make you instantly ill. They are very hung up on health matters in general and what cures what with great certainty, so it's no surprise to see all this crap about non-Chinese.

My black South African friend has had photos of her taken many times but not faced hostility before the virus hit,but that's in Beijing, I should probably ask how she is doing actually.

Bit rambly there, but in summary it's obviously all moronic, and doesn't surprise me, and if you are Chinese and also think it's moronic, you aren't going to say anything.

Abnormal Palm

I'm not saying all Chinese are racist, I'm saying that nationalism in China has increased enormously over the last eight years to reach the point where Africans are turfed out of their apartments and foreigners are refused access to restaurants and shops. I know that this is the cause, albeit it's worse in the North. My mates are probably similar in mindset to yours, but the perspective of someone who would be friends with a laowai is also very probably a minority perspective.

Bazooka

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 04, 2020, 08:08:47 PM
I'm not saying all Chinese are racist, I'm saying that nationalism in China has increased enormously over the last eight years to reach the point where Africans are turfed out of their apartments and foreigners are refused access to restaurants and shops. I know that this is the cause, albeit it's worse in the North. My mates are probably similar in mindset to yours, but the perspective of someone who would be friends with a laowai is also very probably a minority perspective.

Hell, they'll kick you out (or lock you in) and bulldoze your house even if you are ethnically Chinese in some cases.

Abnormal Palm

It's like Stewart Lee, except true.

Zetetic

Has app-based contact tracing done much in China to obviate the need for human-driven contact tracing?

Abnormal Palm

I believe so, but the take-up for the app tracing is absolutely massive because it's simply compulsory to get into certain places. Also, I think it's all done through WeChat which I believe has the highest percentage of users per country of any existing app. Something like 1.2bn use it daily, 80%, and I would guess that the percentage must be even higher in the cities. Beyond that, temperature is taken electronically in loads of public places, which must be nerve-wracking and quite invasive but means that people don't take the piss. Likewise, you can't just ignore the app instructions to stay home and isolate because you have to show it, etc. Also, you get hammered for breaking isolation.

If and when cases do re-emerge, I'm sure that there would be extensive human contact tracing, as in Taiwan etc, but for now it seems that the app (and ongoing strictly respected social distancing) is doing the trick.

Zetetic

Pingers

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 04, 2020, 02:35:16 AM

If you want us to pick sides between Eastasia and Oceania, I'm sorry I'll have to disappoint.

Bazooka

The anti American games are racking up, Americans who have Visas in China that are expiring are being kicked out, the PBS isn't extending visas, and you can't leave to get a new one and go back in of course (which is my current situation).  Girl I worked with in my previous job, her husband  is American and his Visa is expiring so is being given the boot, and another American I know of too. But not sure if other nationalities are affected, surely Brits will be now we won Europe.