Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All Gas No Brakes - Real life Brasseye American reportage

Started by TrenterPercenter, May 03, 2020, 06:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but this youtube show is incredible.  Just a guy with mic letting mercans do what they do best when cameras get put on them.

It's sublime.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqxG9IrHFU_ID1khGvx9sA

alan nagsworth

I posted his recent disturbing trip to the anti-lockdown protests in the Covid subforum but yeah he does deserve his own thread. He's somewhere between Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux for straight-faced investigative journalism among the most extremely dumb, seedy and absurd subcultures in America. He has a great knack for very simple hands-off questioning that gets the best results from his subjects. I should really pay for the full content on his Patreon because his Instagram is a constant hilarious goldmine.

Mr_Simnock

Great stuff, will while away some time later on watching more clips of him

Shaky

Hah, thanks for this. He does that brilliant thing were you watch the first few clips and he seems to be doing absolutely nothing, but gradually you start to pick up on the unique body language and facial expressions.

Ornlu

Blasting through these. Incredibly talented stuff. He has his deadpan discomfort down perfectly.

H-O-W-L

The AVN Awards video was such a perfect display of American sleaze-trash in concentrated form. Like taking a shot of heroin to a genital vein in a strip-club bathroom in Arizona while Nine Inch Nails' Closer thuds through the walls around you. Sublime.

chveik

Mobius

Same, great stuff.

He's very funny. Let's the people he's interviewing do most of the work but his little faces and staring into the void are fantastic.

The flat earth one is really good and the nascar one. And the future, and adult exhibition... they are all insane.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Really enjoyed these. Why does every convention have someone who thinks they can rap?

Anyone become a patreon? Are the longer videos worth it?

the

Watched a few of these, they're at their best when he's just there to capture the malfunctioning feargasm that spurts out of people, (seemingly/hopefully) unprompted. But a few of the vids are ruined by trying to force a 'funny' atmosphere using dramatic digital zooms and music, which were shit non-jokes when Vic Berger did it and they're shit now.

Just being there to calmly mop all this stuff up is enough, it speaks for itself.

... While we're on the subject of slightly shaky Chris Morris comparisons, it's interesting how CM used to go up and pose a nonsensical question/concept to get people to churn out insane sausages of opinion, whereas this guy seemingly just stands in front of his subjects with a mic while they activate it themselves. I suppose going up to someone in a shopping precinct is different from going up to someone at a rally, but it does feel like a different level of insanity.

imitationleather

This channel is mostly great.

I find the episodes which feature people into weird stuff, but still managing to live on planet earth, a lot better than the ones where he's interviewing the tenth acid casualty that day about what the voices in their head are telling them.

Although when it goes really heavy with the zooming in effects (I think the border security expo was particularly bad for this?) I get the impression it's because good source material was very scarce. It is terrible watching it when they add in all that stuff. No idea why they think it's funny.

BlodwynPig

Mister Six

BlodwynPig

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This guy is obviously good at prompting idiots to spill the contents of their brains, but there's not much more to it than that is there? If you point a camera and microphone at a bellicose buffoon, this is what you'll get. I find it more depressing than funny, you're basically just watching footage of incredibly stupid, unpleasant people behaving like twats.

Morris' absurd vox pops questions and concepts created comedy gold. The joke was always that people - some people anyway - will spout any old bollocks when confronted with a posh, authoritative BBC journalist. Those segments were slightly cruel in that Morris was making fun of befuddled members of the public, but the general spirit of nonsense and whimsy tended to countermand that aspect.

Sacha Baron Cohen covered similar ground, but I think some of the early Borat and Bruno sketches are genuinely quite provocative in terms of exposing prejudices. Like Morris, SBC was good at thinking on his feet and remaining in character.

Isn't this guy just saying 'Look at these dickheads?' I dunno. Typing out loud in lockdown boredom.

the

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 06, 2020, 08:29:59 PMThis guy is obviously good at prompting idiots to spill the contents of their brains, but there's not much more to it than that is there? If you point a camera and microphone at a bellicose buffoon, this is what you'll get. I find it more depressing than funny, you're basically just watching footage of incredibly stupid, unpleasant people behaving like twats.

Morris' absurd vox pops questions and concepts created comedy gold. The joke was always that people - some people anyway - will spout any old bollocks when confronted with a posh, authoritative BBC journalist. Those segments were slightly cruel in that Morris was making fun of befuddled members of the public, but the general spirit of nonsense and whimsy tended to countermand that aspect.

Sacha Baron Cohen covered similar ground, but I think some of the early Borat and Bruno sketches are genuinely quite provocative in terms of exposing prejudices. Like Morris, SBC was good at thinking on his feet and remaining in character.

Isn't this guy just saying 'Look at these dickheads?' I dunno. Typing out loud in lockdown boredom.

I sort of agree with the thrust of that, but in terms of the seemingly hands-off nature of this guy, I quite like that he doesn't appear to be egging them on.

It looks as though he's methodically showing up at the right places to just catch it all in a bucket, rather than prodding around trying to display what a devious satirical pied piper he is.

As touched upon, it's the ones where he's trying to unnaturally confect a mania in his interviewee via twatty editing that it's much less satisfying.

Quote from: the on May 06, 2020, 08:45:56 PM
I sort of agree with the thrust of that, but in terms of the seemingly hands-off nature of this guy, I quite like that he doesn't appear to be egging them on.

It looks as though he's methodically showing up at the right places to just catch it all in a bucket, rather than prodding around trying to display what a devious satirical pied piper he is.

As touched upon, it's the ones where he's trying to unnaturally confect a mania in his interviewee via twatty editing that it's much less satisfying.

Yeah, you're right. The fact that all he has to do is say "Hello, can you tell me what you think and why you're here?" is arguably a more 'honest' piece of satire than SBC essentially goading people into saying stupid things (which they would've thought anyway, but he leads them down a certain path).

But as I say, I prefer watching comedians such as Morris and SBC using their sharp comic minds to trip these people up. That, to me, is funnier than just pointing a camera at morons.

I agree, though, he doesn't need to include those zany comedy zooms and whatnot. They undermine his otherwise deadpan approach.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Feels more 11 O'Clock Show era Iain Lee than Brass Eye.

Mister Six

Watched a few of these, and they're great. No, he's not peak Chris Morris, but I don't know why that comparison has to be made.

And he doesn't always just stand there silently - the Yung Terps one has a couple of interjections that had me spluttering out loud, because they're so simple but punctuate the guy's rambling so well, while opening the gate to more nonsense.

But even when he does keep schtum, there's an art to getting people to open up and be relaxed enough to display themselves like this, even when they're as fucked up on substances as many of his interviewees are.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm just glad he's found something to do after OMD split. Kept himself in good nick too, he doesn't seem to have aged at all.

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on May 06, 2020, 09:04:28 PM
Feels more 11 O'Clock Show era Iain Lee than Brass Eye.

Nah. Iain Lee - by his own pained admission - was directly copying Morris in a really clunky way. This guy is more of a Louis Theroux in the sense of asking simple, direct questions and allowing people to hang themselves.

Mister Six

Watched a few more, and I definitely think the Morris comparisons are off-base. The Morris/Stanshall school of vox-popping is a performance by the comedian. This kind of thing is pretty much the inverse of that, and requires a totally different mentality and skillset.

"How many girls have you had sex with?"

"Ten thousand plus"

"Plus what?"

Fuck that cracked me up. He lets them get away with talking absolute bollocks for minutes on end and then hits them up with such a ridiculous / earnest question.

Clownbaby

I love this channel. I found it after seeing a clip on Facebook of a fucking bizarre cat girl ranting about Bobby Shmurda and her gay boyfriend at a furry convention and I had to find out what it was from.

There seems to be a fair bit of debate in the comments and on Reddit whether the content is real or if it's been preprepared/beefed up with self-aware people performing though. I think it seems too naturally strange and specific for that to be the case. I hope it is just a case of him having a knack for finding the very strangest people at each event. I guess it's usually the weirdos who get excited about a camera and microphone and force their way in, and christ are furries in particular known for their intense people.

I love the way he interacts with people. Plenty space for them to get intense without much prodding needed, and he's got a great face. I think I'm desensetised to the zooms from watching so many Youtubers who do this so they don't really bother me. I bet they will now they've been pointed out though

Mister Six

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 09, 2020, 11:19:17 AM
There seems to be a fair bit of debate in the comments and on Reddit whether the content is real or if it's been preprepared/beefed up with self-aware people performing though. I think it seems too naturally strange and specific for that to be the case. I hope it is just a case of him having a knack for finding the very strangest people at each event.

Also he seemingly spends whole days at these events (and nights too, judging by the furry one) for max 15 minutes of footage, so there's probably hours of footage of boring curries being boring for every five minutes of weird cat girl.

C_Larence

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 09, 2020, 11:19:17 AM
I love this channel. I found it after seeing a clip on Facebook of a fucking bizarre cat girl ranting about Bobby Shmurda and her gay boyfriend at a furry convention and I had to find out what it was from.

I discovered him the same way, except on twitter not facebook. The Witten girl, as she became known, soon went on to start an online feud with Dasha Nekrasova, co-host of the Red Scare podcast and ex-fiancé of Adam Friedland (from the Cum Town podcast), by posting a mirror selfie that was quickly identified as having been taken in Friedland's bedroom. According to a recent AGNB lockdown reunion special, she's now clean and living off the fat of the land in a tiny house somewhere, I believe in the midwest but could be misremembering.

I've wasted my life.

Clownbaby

Quote from: C_Larence on May 09, 2020, 04:24:21 PM
I discovered him the same way, except on twitter not facebook. The Witten girl, as she became known, soon went on to start an online feud with Dasha Nekrasova, co-host of the Red Scare podcast and ex-fiancé of Adam Friedland (from the Cum Town podcast), by posting a mirror selfie that was quickly identified as having been taken in Friedland's bedroom. According to a recent AGNB lockdown reunion special, she's now clean and living off the fat of the land in a tiny house somewhere, I believe in the midwest but could be misremembering.

I've wasted my life.

The plot thickens. I did not know all of this.

sambwel

Quote from: C_Larence on May 09, 2020, 04:24:21 PM
The Witten girl, as she became known,
Imagine stumbling on AGNB via the youtube algorithm, as I did, and being confronted with her segment in context, without any knowledge that she had become a meme. It really was a horrible joy.

Anyway, I love this guy, and I do think he's doing something original enough to be noteworthy. He has a great manner and a quick wit, and while the target events/groups may seem like low-hanging fruit, he usually gets much more out of them than I'd expect. Personally I'm not bothered by the youtube-aesthetic editing choices, I think that's really a function of the medium more than anything. If I ever find myself in a position to kick a few bucks to the patreon I'll be keen to see what the extra footage is like.