Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post First-wave lockdown relaxations across the world.

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 04, 2020, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://zpravy.aktualne.cz/domaci/cesko-po-11-kvetnu-na-zahradky-v-rouskach-kina-budou-zaplnen/r~3eedfe368b8b11eab115ac1f6b220ee8/v~sl:45c5fac4e2788c346b466bef8e77e079/

This is interesting reading (bung Translate on it). We have heard so little about UK plans, so it has been interesting reading what's going on here and similarly mildly affected countries who have already drawn up and are implementing lockdown easing.

I thought it would be worth having a thread for this. I have been finding this sort of thing good for keeping up hope that soon we will be able to enjoy many more aspects of our previous lives again.

Here in The Netherlands most of the major fashion retailers (Zara etc) and smaller independents have been open for a week.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

jobotic

Road map for Ireland announced on the day they had 211 new cases. UK had 6200.

Quote from: jobotic on May 04, 2020, 02:32:07 PM
Road map for Ireland announced on the day they had 211 new cases. UK had 6200.
Well yiz should have elected a kind and thoughtful prime minister instead of a pig in a suit.

Ferris

State of emergency runs out end of May in Ontario. I suspect we'll be phasing back to work in June.

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 04, 2020, 04:53:59 PM
Back to normal, oh joy

Won't be "normal" until 2021, but yeah phased returns.

Everyone I've spoken to who reckons it'll take longer (ie everyone I've spoken to) is making their estimate based on the public health aspect. I think various governments reckon they have now done enough to dodge any criticism if it goes Pete Tong and are more worried about the tax base drying up.

I've banged on about it here already but day 1 of me going back, I'm resigning and the Ferris clan is moving 1000 miles away to buy a house and get some actual space and I'm mad excited about it. That may well be driving my optimistic timeline. Just really want it to be true.

My holiday in Cork is not happening this year but if all goes well I'll at least be able to go to the beach nearby.

Unfortunately it'll probably be thronged with people and kids.

Dewt

New Hampshire is opening restaurants (for outside seating) and golf courses next week. A coworker said he is glad because it is just in time for his birthday, which is baffling to me. Why would you want to go to a restaurant on what is likely to be an unusually crowded, hectic day and when you're likely to get a disease?

In related news it is predicted that US daily death tolls will be nearly doubling in June

Ferris

NH has a fair libertarian streak though, no? Live free or die and all that.

Stay safe, if you remain in the bunker for another month, they'll have infected each other and you'll be protected by herd immunity (maybe).

Cuellar

Can't wait to be allowed to go round people's houses again.

Every weekend, it'll be 'let's go to x, let's go and see y, let's drive for hours (by which I mean YOU drive because I can't) to see your parents, let's drive for hours to see MY parents, let's go and visit people in that london, let's go anywhere let's just go we can go!!!'

Can't wait.

Brilliant.

I never go out to eat because I live alone.

Never.

I fucking well am after this.

Dewt

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 04, 2020, 08:38:02 PM
NH has a fair libertarian streak though, no? Live free or die and all that.
I'd describe it as having a mix of all kinds of people, including the extremes. I think it's not a particularly extreme state, all things considered. The state can say "Live Free And Die" all you like, you still need a permit for starting a bonfire and property taxes are wild.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 04, 2020, 08:38:02 PMStay safe, if you remain in the bunker for another month, they'll have infected each other and you'll be protected by herd immunity (maybe).
Fortunately my work has said that if we feel like working from home until the end of the calendar year, we can.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on May 04, 2020, 11:50:42 PM
Fortunately my work has said that if we feel like working from home until the end of the calendar year, we can.

That is pretty decent of them. You, the preppers, and people from Québec will inherit the earth state.

Netherlands - hairdressers/nail salons & primary schools open from next monday.

Bars/restaurants (outside seating) & senior schools June 1st.

brat-sampson

Here in Czechia it looks like with the end of the state of emergency, a lot of restrictions will be lifted. Bars and restaurants serving outdoors, most businesses reopening even inside malls/non-essentials etc. Not quite sure when it's even things like hairdressers and cinemas but it's not too far away.

Also they ran a test on 27k asymptomatic people to get a picture of the level of immunity across the population and it came back at a paltry 1% or so, meaning the whole place is in a pretty risky position right now. Good news is that we're now testing at a solid rate and currently have kind-of a good lid on the whole thing, so hoooopefully if they can keep up the testing and contact-tracing we can afford to reopen to a certain degree without it becoming a fuckdown.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think Czechia and some other countries are effectively taking a partially informed bet on what they think their respective health service can cope with if there is a sustained number of new active cases once they re-open.

Johnny Yesno

First-wave lockdown relaxations across the world.

Johnny Yesno

mrlizard

I decided to go to my girlfriend's in Guernsey as the writing was on the wall for the UK lockdown and it's been a mixed bag:

- Takeaways are shut
- No craft beer
- We are definitely going to split up.

Everything has followed the UK here, except we can now 'buddy up' with another household for visits. But we don't know anybody else.

There are 16 cases here, down from 60 last week, and a peak of about 120 (I think), yet they've announced a 12-week phasing out period, and the pubs have apparently been told they'll reopen in September.

With no new cases reported in five days, active cases dwindling, and people getting fatigued, surely they're going to open up sooner? I can't imagine people will feel inclined to follow laws once zero active cases are being reported in a week or so.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

shiftwork2

imitationleather

evilcommiedictator

Australia's plan: here.
Given that we're the size of the US and with less people than in your Mum's bedroom right now, it'll be up to each state to choose when they move into the next category. However some states are having days where a positive case is the outlier, rather than having no new cases detected. At least you'll have Aussie football on your TV soon, the joy of which Squires' readers will know about

Inspector Norse

Inspector Norse

Vital update in the Guardian

QuoteGreggs has reopened a small number of stores as it continues to trial safety measures.

"Safety measures" do not extend to changing their recipes I assume

Icehaven

Interesting that libraries are apparently going to be one of the first things to reopen in Wales and possibly England too, seems a bit weird given they're not exactly essential nor will it necessarily be very easy to maintain social distancing in them. The very nature of them means you'll have a lot of people handling the same surfaces (books, computers, toilets etc.) and a disproportionate number of library customers are older too so it'll either be very quiet or very risky for those that do visit. My library isn't a public one so I'm less concerned (our customers are still on full lockdown so doubt we'll be back to normal anytime soon) but if I worked in a regular library I'd be a bit pissed at the prospect of being sent back to work right now. I predict I'll have to go in maybe a few days a week if the general libraries round here do open but we still won't have any visitors so it won't be too bad.

Captain Z

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 06, 2020, 06:20:29 PM
I can't believe I got here ahead of Captain Z.

My brain keeps reading the title as 'First post-wave lockdown...' so I didn't even clock that potential, well done.