Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:18:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranglers III (RIP Dave Greenfield)

Started by pupshaw, May 04, 2020, 06:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

wosl

My favourite Strangler - pop keyboard fairy-dust sprinkler of a high order, whose celestial tinkling and absorbed and passive stage manner nicely offset the menace of Cornwell, Burnel and Jet Black.  (Get a G)RIP.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I was actually saving ( Got An) RIP ( For Himself)  for Jet Black.

I suppose this must mean the end of The Stranglers as a going concern now. It would be a bit daft for them to continue gigging ( insomuch as bands will be able to play gigs in the future) with J J Burnell being the only original member on stage.

h4huggy

My friend's mum used to clean at a posh house up the hill from our estate. In the holidays he was allowed to choose a friend to go with him whilst his mum cleaned. This was a highly sought after gig as the house had a swimming pool and seven inch deep shag pile carpeting. Plus you could see the best part of thirty miles from the front room. One day in summer 78 I was chosen and he showed me around. The house had a mezzanine floor with scatter cushions and one of those lights that you could touch and the colours changed - fibre optic . They also has a high end hi fi the like of which I had never seen , certainly superior to our fidelity. You could plug headphones into the skirting board and there were two pairs ready to go , white and fucking enormous. His older brother had left a record on the turntable and we put the cans on and dropped the needle. It was Black and White by the Stranglers and the first track was Tank. 42 years later , I can remember the visceral thrill and almost out of body experience. It is and will remain a defining moment of my existence and influenced so many decisions and choices in my life , from girlfriends to jobs to my closest friends.
Dave Greenfield made The Stranglers what they were , he was the difference. Fly Straight Dave.

Head Gardener

R.I.P. the Man In Black on a massive swelling organ

Brundle-Fly

Dave can make me a sandwich any day..  He was a god to me. RIP 

SteveDave

Good to see that punk rocker Jet Black (born 26th of August 1938, 38 days before rock and roll star Eddie Cochran) is still going strong.

I hope he'll be the last punk rocker alive.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Head Gardener

So my mate Chris who has lived in Milton Keynes all his life has been a longtime collector of vinyl & posters (a bit like me, but much more so) and I am keeping my distance in his back garden this afternoon and then he casually mentions he'd come across a stash of posters in a rolled up tube that he'd forgotten he had (yeah, right) "let's have a look" I said, and he unrolls a load of Punk originals including 999 and Vibrators etc, all very nice, but then a pile of original Stranglers concert posters, jeez not only have I never seen these anywhere online but one in particular (live at the Bletchley Leisure Centre in 1977) is previously undocumented, just amazing!
So he very kindly let me take some pics of them as I know there is interest among folk who dig these things, he's not selling but happy to share with you.

He also got his poster of Idles signed when they played a small pub in MK a couple of years ago

Brundle-Fly

iamcoop

The 'Grip' poster without the venue penned in is a thing of absolute beauty. Thanks!

Jockice

Quote from: SteveDave on May 05, 2020, 09:35:24 AM
Good to see that punk rocker Jet Black (born 26th of August 1938, 38 days before rock and roll star Eddie Cochran) is still going strong.

I hope he'll be the last punk rocker alive.

I was thinking Charlie Harper must be up there with him but it turns out the UK Sub is six years younger. Still goes on tour though.