Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Youtube Channels

Started by peanutbutter, May 05, 2020, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

GVMERS is good or talking about franchises that died and the history of those companies and devs, the games being developed including the engines etc that go pretty in depth, less so retro games and more last two gens but very good quality.

https://m.youtube.com/user/GVMERS

Soldier of Fortune video was very interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpjtesBTzc&t=1427s

peanutbutter

Of the ones I've checked out from here so far

Matthewmatosis Just watched his MGS one but it seemed really fucking promising. Didn't agree with the notion that the game would've been better by milking the various ideas more in the actual game rather than having so many VR missions, but the breakdown of just how small the actual game is was great stuff (I was like "YES, IT'S SO FUCKING LEAN AND AMAZING" whereas he was like "they could have reused some of these things without it getting tired and made the game longer as a result").

Superbunnyhop The Death Stranding video is really good. There isn't really anything else I see in the list of videos that sounds that interesting but I'll have another look and am open to recommendations

Civvie Seems to exclusively focus on games I don't give a shite about so I guess I won't be getting into him

Sega Lord X and SummoningSalt are two I seem to watch everything by and am not sure why, it's rarely topics I'm actually that interested in but obviously it engages me. Karl Jobst sounds like he might be similarly somehow up my street.

madhair60

Matthewmatosis is absolute dogshit, just the opposite of what gaming needs

Dewt

I watched one of his videos to see and chose the Mr. Driller one. You could tell he just wanted to be a person who does analysis on YouTube and that is his goal instead of providing any actual value. He honestly just said this:

Quote"When this block falls, will it crush me?". Mr. Driller is all about becoming increasingly good at answering that one question.

madhair60

Hahaha! Fuck off! You're making that up, right?

Thursday

Quote from: madhair60 on May 07, 2020, 02:53:36 PM

nah he's fine, shut up.

Thursday

I mean he is too dry and boring sure, and has some stupid ideas but...

um...

peanutbutter

Quote from: madhair60 on May 07, 2020, 02:53:36 PM
What does this mean? Like, as far as I can see, basically all of these people are a borderline irrelevance as far as the direction of gaming is concerned.

Well, I thought he seemed good in that one. Like, his fundamental preferences seemed at odds with mine but the details he was covering and the effort put in was pretty good.

Dewt

Quote from: madhair60 on May 07, 2020, 04:14:20 PM
Hahaha! Fuck off! You're making that up, right?
I wish I could be that funny, but sadly it's true.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Abnormal Palm

Maximilian Dood is great for FGC, predominantly, but lots of other great stuff.

As is FGC Translated, mostly for Daigo and Tokido stuff.

Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross is amazing, if defunct, for FGC, but probably meaningless unless you're fuckin good at fighting games.

madhair60

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 07, 2020, 05:05:51 PM
What does this mean? Like, as far as I can see, basically all of these people are a borderline irrelevance as far as the direction of gaming is concerned.

Well, I thought he seemed good in that one. Like, his fundamental preferences seemed at odds with mine but the details he was covering and the effort put in was pretty good.

I feel like the last thing gaming needs is to be taken that seriously

He does what he does well I'm sure but it's anathema to me

ACG, strafefox, LGR and KimJustice (once of this parish) are my favourites.

Tim Rogers, NakeyJakey and GmanLives are also dece.

Dewt

I forgot the very best channel, Ms Mad Lemon.

An Amiga and electronics enthusiast, all of her videos are as real as you can get and yet always beautifully produced. Honest, quality, personal content not designed as a consumable product.

She gets a lot of shit from men online, can you believe such a thing?

I love the videos of her playing games she remembers with her young nephew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hbwYSS2xbI

Thursday

Writing on Games is pretty good, but he's got the kind of Scottish accent that Limmy would do to parody someone trying to make their accent more understandable to an American audience.

Chriddof

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 10:37:48 PM
I love the videos of her playing games she remembers with her young nephew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hbwYSS2xbI

Oh wow - I've started watching that and the very first game is some PD version of Qix on the Amiga that I owned and played loads at the time, but that I since completely forgot about. But it all came back once I recognised it - I even remembered the weird "YEEIIIII" vocal sample at the end of the level.

Phil_A

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 05, 2020, 05:32:59 PM
Lazy Game Reviews - A great channel, covering games and all things relating to 90s PC gaming (his reviews of strange software/games and odd hardware gimmicks are the highlights for me).  One of the most passionate gaming channels on YouTube.

It is a great channel, the ones I enjoy the most are where's he's just pootering around fixing up old PCs and installing random add-ons, something very cathartic about those for some reason.

The Joy Of Sticks is an Atari-focused channel that's been going a good few years now, presented by a really bloody nice bloke called Marc.

Recently I've really enjoyed David X Newton's videos comparing all the different Prince Of Persia ports, he's got a kind-of Yahtzee fast-talking intonation but not nearly as obnoxious.

I also really liked Call Me Kevin's videos playing through all the numerous different terrible/bizarre Harry Potter games, he's a bit "youtubey" if you know what I mean but they're very entertaining.

Clownbaby

I love Call Me Kevin. The one recently where he played that little girl Playmobil game had me laughing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODF5zECs7nc

Also I really want to play that unofficial Minecraft Harry Potter game

Quote from: Phil_A on May 09, 2020, 10:38:53 AM
It is a great channel, the ones I enjoy the most are where's he's just pootering around fixing up old PCs and installing random add-ons, something very cathartic about those for some reason.

SpawnWaveMassacre does the same for old consoles only with less wit and charm.

peanutbutter

Quote from: madhair60 on May 07, 2020, 11:52:07 PM
I feel like the last thing gaming needs is to be taken that seriously

He does what he does well I'm sure but it's anathema to me
Watched a couple of others and wasn't too impressed tbh, I think it's maybe something like he has a predetermined idea of how much content he needs and keeps in some analysis that just seems utterly redundant

Thursday

He's lately started doing shorter videos and putting them out more regularly.

Abnormal Palm

Matthewmatosis is absolutely top tier for Souls stuff, very good for Mario/Zelda and not especially interesting for anything else. Make sure you don't miss out his good stuff based on his average content.

fflip

My current mainstay is Amigos Retro Gaming: three Americans (re)discover games, frequently from outside of that country's mainstream, in an enthusiastic but fair but non-sneery way. It's nominally a podcast, but the recordings are streamed on Twitch and saved on Youtube. Their weekly staples are:

Amigos - about Amiga games
Our Sinclair - for ZX Spectrum
ARG Presents - a different system or theme each week (picked semi-randomly with a Wheel of Fortune-like carousel). The greatest obscurities come up here.

Less regularly, they flirt with burnout by cramming in:

The Coco show - for the TRS-80 Color Computer
1200XL - for Atari 8-bit computer games

Dewt

Quote from: fflip on May 12, 2020, 03:21:12 AM
My current mainstay is Amigos Retro Gaming: three Americans (re)discover games, frequently from outside of that country's mainstream, in an enthusiastic but fair but non-sneery way.
They're adorable aren't they? I love their ZX Spectrum enthusiasm too. Nothing about them makes sense. I'm glad they're getting a little more well-known (i.e. that somebody who isn't me has shared their channel). I meant to share this one earlier.

fflip

Hehe yeah Twed, since that post I've just been accidentally rewatching chunks of Our Sinclair - once set in motion it's very hard to click away from their patter. I love that when they played Minder recently, they both watched the show as research and one of them got well into it to the tune of several episodes :)

Dewt

They look like they should be shooting guns at cans and ranting about sociamalism but instead they're giving Minder a shot and making pure ZX Spectrum hobbyist content. I LOVE THEM.

Abnormal Palm

Really good new Summoning Salt vid on NES Ninja Gaiden and the personal development of Arcus. One of the best, fascinating to see such motivation with zero competition.

Bazooka

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 16, 2020, 02:40:53 PM
Really good new Summoning Salt vid on NES Ninja Gaiden and the personal development of Arcus. One of the best, fascinating to see such motivation with zero competition.

You beat me to it, they have nothing on me, Ive beat it with save states!

Dewt

I fucking love Arcus, this is great news.