Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Youtube Channels

Started by peanutbutter, May 05, 2020, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Quote from: Osmium on May 16, 2020, 06:18:58 PM
Just came here to mention this one. New video today - The Making of Super Castlevania IV & Bloodlines

His production is fricking brilliant, he never fails to disappoint, great voice too for narration.

Dewt

I am bad at names so I didn't realise this was somebody I already watch regularly. He is great

Spiteface

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 07, 2020, 07:44:48 PM
Maximilian Dood is great for FGC, predominantly, but lots of other great stuff.

Yeah, Max is good. I like YoVideogames, too, which he's part of.

VegaLA

My second job!!

My son wants me to edit his gaming vids (Xbox One has made it so much easier to record gaming these days) but I insist on mixing up his YouTube channel with his travelling footage...or something else more creative. He has me doing gaming challenges that to be honest I couldn't really resist!

Cold Meat Platter

Civvie 11's review of Daikatana is up and it's amusingly (yet unsurprisingly) scathing.

I've only played through part of the first chapter and that was more than enough.

Clownbaby

I've been watching OneyPlays and I like the videos but one of the guys has such a muffled, odd voice that I can never understand properly. I always miss the first bit of what he said. It sounds like he's lying face down while speaking or he's holding the mic funny, or using a much worse quality mic. That does my head in a bit but other than that I quite like channel

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: Thursday on May 08, 2020, 11:28:54 PM
Writing on Games is pretty good, but he's got the kind of Scottish accent that Limmy would do to parody someone trying to make their accent more understandable to an American audience.

He really does, he's a fan of Limmy too. Wonder if he hears himself in that impression?

prwc

Errant Signal does very solid thematic analysis of more recent games, covering bigger titles and (more frequently) under the radar indie titles alike. I find his voice to be utterly lovely also.

Poobum

An odd one, but if you want to watch someone play Tomb Raider badly, never seeming to learn a thing about how the games work, whilst uttering constant anecdotes that trail off without being returned to for satisfying pay off, then https://www.youtube.com/user/Alonzorion. No idea why these stuck. He really annoyed me, but he had a certain charm.

I mean he's in the fucking Ice Palace and the game presents you with a giant dangly bell in the first room that you have to shoot to open the door to the second room. It was blatantly showing you the fucking mechanism. He does that, then spends about half an hour in a room full of fucking bells and doors going "what do I do? I can find no switches. Maybe if I keep bouncing and dying." Watching hours of that was the closest I've come to leaving a wildly disproportionate death threat in the YouTube comments than anything else. Good times. Gave up though when he walked straight past a lock in Temple of Xian without comment, I knew he was gonna find a key and spend 40 minutes trying to find what the fuck it was for, and my vascular system just wasn't up to it.

samadriel

Quote from: Poobum on May 22, 2020, 10:30:48 PM
An odd one, but if you want to watch someone play Tomb Raider badly, never seeming to learn a thing about how the games work, whilst uttering constant anecdotes that trail off without being returned to for satisfying pay off

Bazooka

Quote from: Poobum on May 22, 2020, 10:30:48 PM
An odd one, but if you want to watch someone play Tomb Raider badly, never seeming to learn a thing about how the games work, whilst uttering constant anecdotes that trail off without being returned to for satisfying pay off, then https://www.youtube.com/user/Alonzorion. No idea why these stuck. He really annoyed me, but he had a certain charm.

I mean he's in the fucking Ice Palace and the game presents you with a giant dangly bell in the first room that you have to shoot to open the door to the second room. It was blatantly showing you the fucking mechanism. He does that, then spends about half an hour in a room full of fucking bells and doors going "what do I do? I can find no switches. Maybe if I keep bouncing and dying." Watching hours of that was the closest I've come to leaving a wildly disproportionate death threat in the YouTube comments than anything else. Good times. Gave up though when he walked straight past a lock in Temple of Xian without comment, I knew he was gonna find a key and spend 40 minutes trying to find what the fuck it was for, and my vascular system just wasn't up to it.

I think I've seen his videos, and TR2 is in my top 10 games list, your description conjured enough horror.

Poobum

I love Tomb Raider 2, but have never found a satisfying play through on YouTube that I was able to get into.

Zetetic

I'm glad that this Arkane documentary exists, but Christ I wish it had been made by someone who didn't feel compelled to frequently spatter it with inane bollocks.

Bazooka

theScore esports

Some pretty good videos about EvO Tekken tournaments, this one about an underdog from Pakistan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7VnPVzuMto

Chriddof

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 21, 2020, 02:01:41 PM
I've been watching OneyPlays and I like the videos but one of the guys has such a muffled, odd voice that I can never understand properly. I always miss the first bit of what he said. It sounds like he's lying face down while speaking or he's holding the mic funny, or using a much worse quality mic.

That's his actual speaking voice. I thought he was doing a "bit" or imitating some cartoon character or something when I first heard him. I can understand the start of everything he says, though.

peanutbutter

Really enjoying Tim Rogers's gigantic reviews, and ThorHighHeels's exploration of how the gba's aesthetics were weird as fuck from last week were pretty great.

Poobum

This playthrough of the Black Mesa mod. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzPLI7bcBeUU_ubsDtC8S-sYorEYvju2Q
Negatives are; she struggles with puzzles, misses obvious things, and is bad at recognizing the gameplay cues that makers have put in. Positives are; she's slightly weird, endearingly excitable, and loving the game. Haven't checked the other playlists yet but am fascinated how she deals with Deus Ex. Lilia TV has also done a decent playthrough of Half-Life 1 & 2 and is currently on Episode 1.

Chriddof

I took a look at ThorHighHeels. He seems to cover a lot of stuff I'm interested in, but has a really annoying presentation style. A bit too sneery, too sarcastic for some reason. A number of "obscure media" channels, whether they be covering films or video games or whatever, can have that kind of weirdly smug irony-poisoned style to them. There's some good stuff being talked about, but I can't hack the way it's delivered.

Also to follow up on my post from May of last year: OneyPlays is a cunt.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Chriddof on March 14, 2021, 12:34:00 AM
I took a look at ThorHighHeels. He seems to cover a lot of stuff I'm interested in, but has a really annoying presentation style. A bit too sneery, too sarcastic for some reason. A number of "obscure media" channels, whether they be covering films or video games or whatever, can have that kind of weirdly smug irony-poisoned style to them. There's some good stuff being talked about, but I can't hack the way it's delivered.

Also to follow up on my post from May of last year: OneyPlays is a cunt.
I think they covered this in one video as being unintended and largely a fault of English not being their first language which does kinda make sense to me cos it's def for irony poisoned vibe but they're usually pretty good at being sincere. Considering they're generally pretty well edited and quite prolific I def go easy on the presentation style though

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Phil_A on May 09, 2020, 10:38:53 AM
It is a great channel, the ones I enjoy the most are where's he's just pootering around fixing up old PCs and installing random add-ons, something very cathartic about those for some reason.

I love LGR and I don't mind the odd "upgrading my windows 95 computer" type video, but I would definitely prefer more videos analysing or even just reviewing games, and the ones about mad old software and hardware (oddware) and the ones going deep into stories in the computing world (techtales), and less of the old computer pootering.  I think the latter get more views, require a lot less effort and research, so I don't blame the guy!

Utter Shit

The only Youtube gaming things I've ever really watched are FailRace's fantastic Survive the Hunt videos on GTA5. The host and 23 'hunters' gather at the docks, and turn their GPS and player icons off. Then the host has two minutes to escape into the city, at which point the hunters can begin searching for him.

There are limitations on which cars and weapons they are allowed to use, but the hunters are allowed a blimp to keep an eye on things from the air and direct hunters on the ground. The tactics used keep it interesting - because the GPS and player icons are off, you can try to blend in among the NPCs by driving normally, but one false move at the wrong time and you're immediately in a high-speed chase, relying on breaking the line of sight and staying out of the view of the airborne hunters long enough to switch cars and go back to blending in.

The action is confined to the city, as the whole map is too big and could feasibly have you driving around without ever even seeing a hunter, and the host has an additional task which keeps things exciting - there are a number of bright pink cars dotted around the city that the host has to try to blow up, giving the hunters a better idea of where you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v05S3QakEfY&list=PLsfEG_D6sAlBs8VJN_Fmz0AD_mIFTVxfa

Famous Mortimer

Agree with Utter Shit, FailRace is great. I can't watch too much of his stuff as his speaking style is a bit irritating at times, but Survive The Hunt is a great idea (please, more people, play GTA on the PC). I like the chaos mod videos too.

The gaming things I like to watch are either people doing "Mad Verse City" on the Jackbox Party Pack, or speedrunners. MitchFlowerPower is a GBOL, and it's nice to pop him doing some weird challenge on in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: prwc on May 22, 2020, 03:11:50 PM
Errant Signal does very solid thematic analysis of more recent games, covering bigger titles and (more frequently) under the radar indie titles alike. I find his voice to be utterly lovely also.

I actually remember the video I found this guy from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtaHmaEAbi4
And I subbed bc much like him I am a sucker for this kind of thing. (and also a lot of other stuff that he covers)

AnOrdinaryBoy

Some of these mentioned already, and a few (I think) haven't been....

Action Button - (Very) long-from reviews by former Kotaku writer Tim Rogers, including a 6 hour deep-dive into Tokimeki Memorial. May not be to everyone's taste as he's overly self-indlugent, but he's earned it with what he puts out.
Ahoy - Infrequent, but incredibly high production values and intelligently written works.
Game Maker's Toolkit - Well focused and clearly written looks into specific gaming mechanics and their utilisation.
Jeremy Parish - Occasionally dry, but a vital gaming historian (even more than the guy who actually trades under that name). Excellent at putting games into their contemporaneous context.
Stop Skeletons From Fighting - Very American but also very charming and a nice antidote to the self-seriousness of some of those I have mentioned here.
Summoning Salt - I'm not really interested in speedrunning, but his documentaries on the subject are so well made as to make the subject approachable even for sceptics.
Strafefox - Excellent production values, exceptionally well-researched.

GoblinAhFuckScary

would quite appreciate recs for good women streamers. i only really listen to one person and i'm a little tired of a droning dude's voice

bgmnts

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 14, 2021, 02:34:33 PM
would quite appreciate recs for good women streamers. i only really listen to one person and i'm a little tired of a droning dude's voice

3dsrincess is a bit of an airhead but lovely. Pixelmynts is cool, Dando is sometimes fun and Sneevil is a bit mental and full on but fun as well.

Zetetic

SoftandHollow for succinct horror game stuff.
Alexandra Orlando for extremely sporadic very short videos about things that I have no opinion on whatsoever but still find interesting to hear someone else discuss for a few minutes, like Louis Vitton/MOBA crossovers or whatever.
Digital Mumbles for some mostly very light videos, often with her husband these days.

Edit: Actually none of those are streamers. Probably for the best.

peanutbutter

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 14, 2021, 02:34:33 PM
Haven't actually watched her streams much but she makes neat tech things so I follow on twitter and her streams usually sound pretty interesting based on the descriptions https://www.twitch.tv/nicole__he

Poobum

Lilia_live is good, generally lovely, smart, and funny, is a really nice community too. Will be playing Black Mesa soon as well. https://www.twitch.tv/lilia_live