Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gaming Youtube Channels

Started by peanutbutter, May 05, 2020, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natnar

Triplejump is my favourite gaming channel at the moment. They have a few good different strands of video on the go. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5xhpH29hcQudilieKD63Q

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 14, 2021, 02:34:33 PM
would quite appreciate recs for good women streamers. i only really listen to one person and i'm a little tired of a droning dude's voice

Perhaps Lucahjin? She's married to ProtonJon and associated with Chuggaaconroy.
https://www.youtube.com/user/lucahjin

She's currently doing Ace Attorney Investigations 2, which I probably won't be watching until I get and beat the first one.

Gurke and Hare

I'm slightly obsessed with City Planner Plays Cities: Skylines at the moment. It's the combination of his gentle soothing voice and the very lovely cities he builds, it's very pleasing.

Hammer

I started up a YouTube channel last night where I play old games. Gonna try and play a new game for the first time every few days and talk while I figure stuff out

Don't know how many people are likely to be interested but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to pay off my house one day.

The first video is me playing Crystal Caves

(Spam)

What should I call myself? That's something you lot can help me with. 'Daveplaysgames' covers what I'm doing but it's a bit boring. Any suggestions?

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: Hammer on August 26, 2021, 10:13:32 AM
I started up a YouTube channel last night where I play old games. Gonna try and play a new game for the first time every few days and talk while I figure stuff out

Don't know how many people are likely to be interested but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to pay off my house one day.

The first video is me playing Crystal Caves

(Spam)

What should I call myself? That's something you lot can help me with. 'Daveplaysgames' covers what I'm doing but it's a bit boring. Any suggestions?

I'm no expert at youtube branding (I barely use it to do anything but watch videos or put music on in the background when I do stuff, I've uploaded like 2 whole videos my entire time) but there should be some level of "branding" you use of something you like, as some kind of hook to get people to check in.

So let's say you like hammers, based solely off your username on here being Hammer, you could make it related to that as a start?

Have recently discovered 21Kiloton whose review style reminds me of Jim Sterling (when he did them properly) crossed with Yahtzee (but with jokes).

Quote from: Natnar on May 16, 2021, 10:18:48 AM
Triplejump is my favourite gaming channel at the moment. They have a few good different strands of video on the go. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5xhpH29hcQudilieKD63Q

Their lists and "What this game means to me" vids are good - mainly because they're written by other people - but they've recently brought in a third presenter who doesn't seem to have played many videogames before, and the dynamic between them is really awkward.

Poobum

This playthrough of Metal Gear Solid by Bobawitch is good. She's bad at the game but fun with it. Is hilarious, despite how bad she is, that she accidently discovered a glitch that went viral and ended up with Kojima tweeting about it.  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPfb1K6ZJeEBLMO9TR-CnNx9Vb7oWM5Bu

Natnar

Quote from: thehungerartist on September 15, 2021, 01:08:33 PM

Their lists and "What this game means to me" vids are good - mainly because they're written by other people - but they've recently brought in a third presenter who doesn't seem to have played many videogames before, and the dynamic between them is really awkward.
Yeah i noticed that, i don't think the new presenter is very good, she's sort of messed up the rapport that the two other guys had between them before she arrived.

brat-sampson

The Tim Rogers/Action Button Cyberpunk 2077 review finally dropped after many unfortunate delays. Here's the intro, it's only an hour.
Spoiler alert
the full thing is a shade over 10 HOWEVER, he explicitly suggests viewers choose only a couple of the sections from the selection to watch before the ending section, a 'Choose your Own Video' if you will.
[close]
Watch at your leisure, a piece at a time, in all its meandering loquacious, 4k60 Glory.

peanutbutter

Fantastic! It's taken him the best part of a year to get this one done, I know he says he has like 40 episodes in mind but what're the chances he has a mental breakdown and bails?

Although, he does kind of come across as though he's in a constant mental breakdown so maybe not.

brat-sampson

He's promised himself and Patrons that this will categorically be the last AB Review that's 'like this', for many *very obvious* reasons. He has the games lined up for most of Season 2 and they'll all be like 1-2 hrs each rather than whatever the fuck this first season became.

peanutbutter

I'll be stunned if he sticks to 1-2 hours. Maybe he'll just repeatedly do resets to a short length and gradually drift out of control.

I don't know if it's possible for him but I hope Tim can actually scale back on these reviews for the sake of his own health. The amount of stuff he watched/played/read in preparation for this one is nuts.

At the same time I can completely understand how you can get into that mindset where you're so invested into doing research that the project just takes longer and longer to get started (and maybe never at all in my case). It's such an easy trap to fall into if you have the kind-of obsessive personality that's constantly focussed on getting every detail exact.

brat-sampson

I watched parts 3 and 4, then 7. Looking forward to digging back into the others in the future now my Canon version of the Review has been established.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Quote from: brat-sampson on October 30, 2021, 12:45:58 PM
I watched parts 3 and 4, then 7. Looking forward to digging back into the others in the future now my Canon version of the Review has been established.

Following his dictum of "watch the part you are second most interested in first and the part you are most interested in second", I watched parts 5 and 7 before going on to The Bottom Line. I'll go back and watch 2, 3, 4 and 6 when I get the free time to watch them.

I've never played Cyberpunk 2077 and probably never will, and managed to miss most of the discourse around the game as I don't have any social media accounts and only tend to read about Nintendo or retro-related gaming stuff on line, so it was really interesting to see a detailed summary of all the nonsense around the game.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Coding Secrets cropped up in my suggestions a few days ago. It's nothing to do with spies[nb]I mean, that's obvious from the context, really.[/nb], but rather a veteran games developer explaining the various tricks and workarounds used in old games. I'm a big old thicko when it comes to technical jargon, but it does a good job of putting things in layman's terms and it's hard not to admire the ingenuity on display.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkY047vYjF92-8HcoVTXAOg

Memorex MP3

First Action Button Reviews episode in about 18 months is a 6 hour review of the first Boku no Natsuyasumi game. Have wanted to play one of these games for years and years; a Tim Rogers review and its spiritual successor getting an English translation (that Shin Chan game on Switch) within a few months of each other feels like as close as I'll get
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=779coR-XPTw

Serious lack of decent video game youtube stuff on my feed the last long while.

Thursday

I watched Tim Rogers FFVII review and he spent the first 3 hours of the 3 hour 20 minute reviews describing plainly what the game is in extreme detail (which I already knew most of since I played it) with almost no critical analysis or insight or thoughts, just the odd mildly amusing aside. Not sure I see the appeal. I've liked other stuff he's done, but this seemed like a waste.

Memorex MP3

^ I think the ones based around recent games don't really work at all, asides from possibly Cyberpunk but that was more just watching a mental breakdown than anything else at points. It's worth trying one of the other ones though; maybe Doom or Pac Man, both are short enough I think?

Top Hat Gaming Man and Lady Decade.

bgmnts

There is a very acerbic guy called the 4thSnake who seems to have an almost autistic level of devotion and attachment to mortal kombat. He does huge reviews of the newer games (I think his MK11 review clocks in at 5 hours!) and seems to hate them all. It's amazing.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: thehungerartist on October 20, 2022, 10:33:22 AMTop Hat Gaming Man and Lady Decade.

These two are real people? This isn't just a bit?

RetroRobot

Pink Gregory

Aren't they currently caught up in some sort of 'to-do' because a photographer asked for a nominal fee for them using one of his photos in a video?

Memorex MP3

It's interesting to me how hard I found it to figure out what their drama was. Feel like if they were an American channel it would have made its way to things like keemstar cos it's insanely cringe.

Didn't know they were a couple but i did actively tell YouTube to never recommend either of them me again in the past

RetroRobot

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on October 20, 2022, 07:44:03 PMIt's interesting to me how hard I found it to figure out what their drama was. Feel like if they were an American channel it would have made its way to things like keemstar cos it's insanely cringe.

Didn't know they were a couple but i did actively tell YouTube to never recommend either of them me again in the past

Even without the drama yeah they're fucking vapid moron shitheads

Famous Mortimer

It's odd, because they both seem so charisma-free. My incredulity above was genuine, I don't understand how they're real and what entertainment viewers gain from a man who picked his gimmick out of a web 1.0 reject box, and a woman who is the worst fake cryer I've seen in a while.

Ultimately, they're an effect, not a cause, though. I found a comment on Youtube that was (to paraphrase) "expecting them to sell their own stuff to cover their debts is wrong". Much as I hate blaming people, if you give grifters like this your cash, then you deserve everything you get.

bgmnts

An entire generation of people finding entertainment in this. It's just nothing. I don't get it don't you at least want some kind of talent like singing or dancing or acting or comedy?

It's like people who watch people talk or play games on twitch. Just talk to someone or play some games. It's so strange. Feels like it's capitalising on some inherent mental illness.