Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Teenage Superstars film

Started by Jockice, May 05, 2020, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Anyone seen this? It's been available for free on the internet for a few days. It's a look at the Scottish indie scene in the mid-80s and early 90s, with a great cast, Alan McGee, various members of The Pastels, Teenage Fanclub, BMX Bandits, Soup Dragons, Shop Assistants, the early Primal Scream, Vaselines etc.  And Thurston Moore. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is my kind of music (apart from Sonic Youth, who I just don't get at all) and they spoke in accents I (mostly) understood. There's some great early footage too.

There are a few others I'd like to have been seen interviewed - one of the Reid brothers (although Douglas Hart is on there), Gillespie,  Brendan O'Hare (Francis MacDonald appears. Luckily not talking about women's sex-based rights), Sushil from the Soup Dragons (mainly because I'm curious about his life as an Asian Scot in the 80s - I'm from not far from Glasgow and there was a minimal - verging on non-existent - BAME population there until a few years ago). And I wondered why the narrator was an American woman. It turned out to be Kim Deal.

It's available on....and at this point I tried to check and it turned out if was a limited period which has now ended. Sorry about that. But I can't be arsed deleting the post. Maybe it'll be free again for a few days during the next pandemic.

Bobby Treetops

Cheers for the heads up, I'll try and track this down through other sources.

Here's a trailer for it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RwF6cew4o

Jockice

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on May 05, 2020, 09:20:11 AM
Cheers for the heads up, I'll try and track this down through other sources.

Here's a trailer for it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RwF6cew4o

Yeah, sorry I sent it too late. I actually watched it on Saturday (after Duglas BMX Bandit posted about it on Facebook. They apparently did a video conference thing with some of the participants but I missed that) and meant to mention it on here then but forgot.

I've just discovered that the entirety of its predecessor is on youtube though.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5aOKj3UQI&t=3s
That's my post-shower viewing for today sorted out.

the science eel

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Jockice on May 05, 2020, 08:42:05 AM
Francis MacDonald appears. Luckily not talking about women's sex-based rights

??

SteveDave

As much as I loathe the fucking Pastels (I bought a reissue CD of one of their albums in the late 90s and every song was out of tune so I took it back to MVC used the correct lie and swapped it for something else), I'm interested in seeing this. If anyone finds it please let me know.

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2020, 11:24:15 AM
??

He's sided with her out of the Scottish band who's name I've forgotten about trans stuff.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on May 05, 2020, 11:25:17 AM
As much as I loathe the fucking Pastels

Outside. Now.

Actually, I've gone off them a bit of late since Stephen showed himself to be some spoilt tedious thicko anti-Corbyn #fbpe type. I still think Katrina has one of the best voices in 'popular' music.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2020, 11:29:19 AM
Outside. Now.

Actually, I've gone off them a bit of late since Stephen showed himself to be some spoilt tedious thicko anti-Corbyn #fbpe type. I still think Katrina has one of the best voices in 'popular' music.

Did he? Oh dear.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on May 05, 2020, 09:54:10 AM
I've just discovered that the entirety of its predecessor is on youtube though.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5aOKj3UQI&t=3s
That's my post-shower viewing for today sorted out.

Yeah, that's good too. I have a feeling I've seen bits of it (if not the whole thing) before but my memory's not what it was.

sutin

I bought this on DVD when it came out. It's good if not amazing. Always a pleasure to see Stephen Pastel, Duglas T and all my favs on screen though.

I certainly don't recall SP being anti-Corbyn at any point, and I just searched their tweets to confirm that. It's also worth noting that when seemingly every indie person over 40 has turned terf up in Glasgow, The Pastels, particularly Katrina, has been actively supporting trans rights.

Also, The Pastels are one of the greatest bands ever. Beautiful, beautiful records.

holyzombiejesus

Oh, he definitely did. Maybe he's deleted them now but it was during some crybaby toy-throwing exercise when Corbyn wouldn't explicitly back remaining and he tweeted the Guardian headline with 'Thanks for nothing (or something like that) and then retweeted a load of bell-ends slating JC andadding agreeing comments. The twat regularly retweets Ian fucking Dunt too. Love their records and they were, possibly still are, my favourite band but that really put me off him.

EDIT: Found them.

https://twitter.com/pastels_the/status/1076267460502974465

Some cunt wrote

Quote"The people outside looked from Labour to Tory, and from Tory to Labour, and from Labour to Tory again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

and dickhead McRobbie says "Too true." Fuck him.

Jockice

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 11, 2020, 10:32:05 PM
Oh, he definitely did. Maybe he's deleted them now but it was during some crybaby toy-throwing exercise when Corbyn wouldn't explicitly back remaining and he tweeted the Guardian headline with 'Thanks for nothing (or something like that) and then retweeted a load of bell-ends slating JC andadding agreeing comments. The twat regularly retweets Ian fucking Dunt too. Love their records and they were, possibly still are, my favourite band but that really put me off him.

EDIT: Found them.

https://twitter.com/pastels_the/status/1076267460502974465

Some cunt wrote

and dickhead McRobbie says "Too true." Fuck him.

That's a shame. I love The Pastels too.

holyzombiejesus

Not sure if this is the best place to mention it but Alex from The Shop Assistants apparently passed away in 2005. Someone had posted a Shop Assistants track on a C86 Facebook page and the guy who reissued The Motorcycle Boy album last year said that her husband had contacted him earlier this year to let him know. She must only have been about 40. Feel quite sad about that. I loved their first few singles and the album when I was in my teens.

Bingo Fury

Oh no, that's awful. I used to go and see all the Shoppies' Edinburgh gigs and met Alex loads of times. The last time was when we bumped into each other at a buffet in Meadowbank stadium not long after The Motorcycle Boy had got going, and she was cheerful and approachable as usual. I've often wondered what happened to her, but never imagined she might have passed on, and so long ago. That's very sad.

the science eel

Yeah, I saw that last night but didn't realise she'd died in 2005. Terribly sad.

'Safety Net' absolutely rocked my world when I was 18.