Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:51:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cinemas and the Coronavirus

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 05, 2020, 11:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Vue hopes to reopen in mid-July:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542693

I'm very sceptical about this. Cinemas involve sitting in the same room as someone for several hours, and even if everyone goes in wearing masks how many will keep them on throughout the screening? It's also a place where people eat so touch their mouths.

What happens when people need to go to the toilet or can't find their seat? Are they going to be able to stay 2 metres apart.

In my view, cinemas should be one of the last places to reopen and mid-July is too early.

Abnormal Palm

Get em all in. Petri tier. Won't be so borin when we're face down having gallons of oxygen pumped into our nervous systems. Might even bring my ipad so I can watch a movie just glue it right onto my fat fuckin VENT.

imitationleather

Don't care about cinemas, but I'm excited about the all-night drug raves reopening in a couple of weeks.

Icehaven

I read a news article the other day about that 'Trolls' film and how it's made way more cash by being made streamable for $17 than it was predicted to make if it had had a normal cinema release. With that sort of thing happening I think most cinemas will shut in the next decade anyway even after the virus disruption has been and gone.

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon making blockbusters streamable at the same time as they're in cinemas will fuck the chains into a cocked hat.

My worry is though that indies will try and pick up the pieces and the niche they've carved out showing films you can't see in the big cinemas will be impacted as they might try and pick up the pieces and their schedules will get more boring as a result.

Abnormal Palm

Both the picture and sound in the cinema is shit compared to sitting 1m away from an OLED telly and listening on planar headphones, plus you don't have to be aware of/share oxygen with the agar cunts who go the pictures. Bring it all down.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 05, 2020, 12:45:19 PM
Both the picture and sound in the cinema is shit compared to sitting 1m away from an OLED telly and listening on planar headphones, plus you don't have to be aware of/share oxygen with the agar cunts who go the pictures. Bring it all down.

And you're not surrounded by cunts who don't know how to behave in public.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 05, 2020, 12:45:19 PM

Not really worth getting a 4k telly yet if you don't watch blockbusters though.

I've got a decent set of AKG K701's. Is there any software that can take multichannel surround sound and make it surround in 2 channel headphones? I notice a lot of surround headphones use multiple drivers which seems like a hack given we only have 2 ears and 3d audio in headphones is definitely possible.

Zetetic

Sebastian Cobb

Hmm, linux would be better as I'm watching things through kodi.

BlodwynPig

My only corona dream was about the cinema. I thought i was going to have the screen to myself but the crowds amassed and i was bustled and bumped as bovine herds of cunts came from every direction. I wanted to kill them. The increasing attempts to try and normalise a return to the former ways of life is giving me anxiety on top of my wife leaving me

beanheadmcginty

I hope at least some cinemas reopen. I find it impossible to watch films properly at home because I have no discipline and am unable to stop distracting myself with phones etc. The cinema is the only place where my brain lets me completely concentrate on a film.

Abnormal Palm

Slide da lil mobby down a grid

Puce Moment

Going to London cinemas to see films blind is one of life's greatest pleasures. The rest can get tae fuck now that I have my eyes on a 50" TV.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 05, 2020, 03:13:14 PM
Going to London cinemas to see films blind is one of life's greatest pleasures. The rest can get tae fuck now that I have my eyes on a 50" TV.

Hisenses are supposed to be very good if you're not posh enough to get a Panasonic. I didn't realise they'd come down this much.
Argos link.

NB: i've not seen one in the flesh though.

Cuntbeaks

I'm in no hurry to replace my 6 year old 50" Panasonic plasma. Apparently they can still give the OLED boys a run for their money. Plus the fact that 4k content is still fairly niche.

Hopefully the tech cunts will fuck 4k off and just focus on the emerging 8k sets instead. Then i won't feel like I've missed out when i buy a new TV.

Abnormal Palm

If I weren't gaming on it, 4K OLED wouldn't really be worth it, no.

For gaming, it's insanely good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 05, 2020, 04:39:54 PM
I'm in no hurry to replace my 6 year old 50" Panasonic plasma. Apparently they can still give the OLED boys a run for their money. Plus the fact that 4k content is still fairly niche.

Hopefully the tech cunts will fuck 4k off and just focus on the emerging 8k sets instead. Then i won't feel like I've missed out when i buy a new TV.

This is my stance but a 40" 10 year old Samsung.

I set it to the calibration settings someone on AV Forums mentioned and to me I think it looks a lot better than LED panels. It could just people using the default settings, which is more about making them look vibrant on a shop floor.

I can't see 8k being used much either. I think they're still rendering a lot of stuff at 2k and upscaling. People seem to be generally happy with the lower quality of streaming over the hassle of physical discs.

It could be that 4k bluray is the SACD of the video world.

Abnormal Palm

I would say that HDR is more significant than 4K resolution, fwiw

Mister Six

5G is going to take care of low-quality streaming, no?

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 05, 2020, 04:39:54 PM

No, no they don't. Only the most hardcore plasma fanboys think that. Plasma TV's are dimmer, show less colours and can't do 4K. Some people though prefer the motion aspect of their picture, but that's it. It's was good in it's day but it's yesterdays tech.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on May 05, 2020, 06:27:05 PM
No, no they don't. Only the most hardcore plasma fanboys think that. Plasma TV's are dimmer, show less colours and can't do 4K. Some people though prefer the motion aspect of their picture, but that's it. It's was good in it's day but it's yesterdays tech.

It looks lovely, it has pleasing cinematic motion as well the best skin tones I've seen on a TV. Admittedly, i haven't really spent any time watching a modern HDR 4K specced set.

It cost £600, and it's been worrh every penny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 05, 2020, 08:30:06 PM

SIX HUNDRED POUNDS

CHECK THE GUY OUT HERE WITH THE SIX HUNDRED POUND GIVING IT THE BIGGUN BACK IN 2014

I too have a 50" Panasonic plasma I bought around Christmas 2011 and it's still going strong. Very deep blacks.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 05, 2020, 08:32:47 PM
SIX HUNDRED POUNDS

CHECK THE GUY OUT HERE WITH THE SIX HUNDRED POUND GIVING IT THE BIGGUN BACK IN 2014

Haters gonna hate.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 05, 2020, 08:30:06 PM
It looks lovely, it has pleasing cinematic motion as well the best skin tones I've seen on a TV. Admittedly, i haven't really spent any time watching a modern HDR 4K specced set.

If you like the picture a lot then just keep going with it, no need to upgrade. As for watching 4K HDR material on a good set I would avoid that if you don't want to upgrade, I realy would.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on May 05, 2020, 05:35:10 PM
5G is going to take care of low-quality streaming, no?
AND OUR BABIES' SKIN

phantom_power

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 05, 2020, 12:46:19 PM
And you're not surrounded by cunts who don't know how to behave in public.

You've clearly never me my family

Head Gardener