Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:28:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim's Twitter Listening Parties

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 05, 2020, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Anyone engaged in any of these yet? Tim Burgess has organised them. Bit wary of his 'I've always loved band x but have never ever mentioned them or displayed any influence or interest up until this point in my career' but that probably makes me more of a cunt than him. Idea is to all listen along to a specific album and tweet your thoughts under the hashtag #timstwitterlisteningparty . Band members usually contribute.

Current schedule: https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/

I checked in on the B&S and Billy Bragg ones and found them pretty pointless and annoying - so may tweets saying 'love this #timstwitterlisteningparty' and the artists normally only write a couple of quite bland things per song-  but lots of people seem to really like them.

I might suggest a #cabtwitterwatchingparty in the comedy thread?

Abnormal Palm

Cheers, this sounds absolutely terrible

DrGreggles

The Bandwagonesque one was good.
Norman was revealing plenty of Fannies facts.
A Grand Prix one is planned too.

thugler

Didn't we used to do this here occasionally (admittedly not listen along all together) but everyone listening to a whole album new to them and discussing it. I vaguely remember a Charles Mingus 'Let my children hear music' one.

Custard

Burgess is dead to me since he got THAT haircut. And also checking his phone whilst on stage at Glastonbury last year.

YOUVE BEEN CANCELLED CHARLATAN MAN

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: thugler on May 05, 2020, 12:31:02 PM
Didn't we used to do this here occasionally (admittedly not listen along all together) but everyone listening to a whole album new to them and discussing it. I vaguely remember a Charles Mingus 'Let my children hear music' one.

Think that was more of a specific album club/ discussion thread rather than being in real time. Wasn't it 'Black Saint...'?

Abnormal Palm

That's right, and rudi suggested Elgar. Didn't last long but it was fun.

That's what she said

phantom_power

You can replay the Twitter stream from that site as well, which I might do next time I listen to one of the albums. Can't really listen in "live" so that will have to do. I think some are better than others from flicking through the hashtag on Twitter. The Prefab Sprout one had some good details on the making of the album from the woman who was in the band who is now an artist

purlieu

The Lightning Seeds ones were nice, as Ian Broudie is usually pretty reserved and never talks about his own music, so getting insights into these songs I've loved since I was a kid was lovely.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 05, 2020, 12:39:27 PM
Burgess is dead to me since he got THAT haircut. And also checking his phone whilst on stage at Glastonbury last year.

His book was tripe.  I know choosing the worst indie life story is like picking your best bout of diarrhoea but it was still abysmal. 

alan nagsworth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2020, 11:51:21 AM
pretty pointless and annoying - so may tweets comments saying [things to the effect of] 'love this #timstwitterlisteningparty' and the artists normally only write a couple of quite bland things per song  but lots of people seem to really like them.

Online music discussion in a nutshell, there.

chveik

can't say I prefer hyperbolic ramblings

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: chveik on May 05, 2020, 02:18:04 PM

I like their first Peel session.

I like hyperbolic ramblings, at least there's some passion oh shit this is going to turn in to a moan about list threads and untitled youtube links and then someone will start another what are you listening to thread fuck.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chveik on May 05, 2020, 02:18:04 PM

Literally the stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

chveik

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2020, 02:21:36 PM
I like hyperbolic ramblings, at least there's some passion oh shit this is going to turn in to a moan about list threads and untitled youtube links and then someone will start another what are you listening to thread fuck.

nah I'm not really arsed

alan nagsworth

Yet you're arsed enough to have another pop at me for being overly enthusiastic about music for some reason.

buzby

It's nice to see that for the New Order ones he's got his mates (and near neighbours) Steve & Gillian commenting on the streams, who are always good value. Some nice photos from Steve's archives of them in the studio and on tour, tales of a pissed Bernard improvising lyrics to new songs on stage (hence 'My cock's as wide as the M1'), what gear they were using (most of which he seems to still have), Bernard  & Steve's duelling cowbells during the recording of The Perfect Kiss (and how it reluctantly ended up on Low Life), and Gillian and her dad's favourite New Order track is Sunrise, apparently - I have to say they both impeccable taste.

He's doing Six and Grey Lantern with Paul Draper tomorrow and thursday too.

chveik

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 05, 2020, 02:54:42 PM
Yet you're arsed enough to have another pop at me for being overly enthusiastic about music for some reason.

I apologise, I was being a cunt. I can appreciate enthusiasm, it's just that it's hard for me to go beyond 'love this' when it comes to music most of the time. it's easy enough to analyse/interpret books, films and tv but you often need some sort of technical knowledge for music (which I haven't), or to be a good writer (I'm not) to say something a bit meaningful. I should try to make more efforts though, this subforum is slowly dying.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chveik on May 05, 2020, 03:20:56 PM
I apologise, I was being a cunt. I can appreciate enthusiasm, it's just that it's hard for me to go beyond 'love this' when it comes to music most of the time. it's easy enough to analyse/interpret books, films and tv but you often need some sort of technical knowledge for music (which I haven't), or to be a good writer (I'm not) to say something a bit meaningful. I should try to make more efforts though, this subforum is slowly dying.

No problem. It conflicted with my own self-esteem issues regarding expressing myself/how people receive that, as I'm particularly crabby about that stuff right now too.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 05, 2020, 03:23:49 PM
Let's bring it back

Aye, I'd love to. Unfortunately I am just completely unenthused about music right now, more than I have been in a very long time. All my listening is typically done when I'm commuting or walking, and seeing as I'm doing absolutely zero commuting and practically zero walking, I don't listen to anything now. My life as an obsessive music consumer has completely halted.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 05, 2020, 03:55:50 PM
Aye, I'd love to. Unfortunately I am just completely unenthused about music right now, more than I have been in a very long time. All my listening is typically done when I'm commuting or walking, and seeing as I'm doing absolutely zero commuting and practically zero walking, I don't listen to anything now. My life as an obsessive music consumer has completely halted.

Maybe see if Dr Tim Burgess can remedy that this evening? I think he may just prescribe a healthy dose of *checks schedule* Glasvegas and Oasis. Sure that'll do the trick.

iamcoop

These seem to be immensely popular but I'm afraid I can't get onboard. Unless you have a burning desire to see Bonehead tweeting "Liam was fuckin' havin' it during this one" during Magic Pie by Oasis then you're not really missing out on much.

imitationleather

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 05, 2020, 04:16:32 PM
Maybe see if Dr Tim Burgess can remedy that this evening? I think he may just prescribe a healthy dose of *checks schedule* Glasvegas and Oasis. Sure that'll do the trick.

Ahaha. I assumed those were artists you'd picked as a joke but then I went and had a look at the schedule.

If it had been a gag then you couldn't have done better than picking those two bands for summing this whole thing up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I can't stand Glasvegas or Oasis but can conceive that events which are quite evidently not intended for my liking can exist without the need for me to burst in to rip them to shreds.

There are plenty of valid commercial and practical reasons why his listening parties would involve bands with people he is in contact with for the benefit of fans who have a generous overlap in musical tastes. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

As far as it goes, I think the listening party format would work better on Youtube than twitter. As hzj suggests in the opening post, the inane replies don't disappear upscreen as quick as they ought to.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: iamcoop on May 05, 2020, 04:36:42 PM
These seem to be immensely popular but I'm afraid I can't get onboard. Unless you have a burning desire to see Bonehead tweeting "Liam was fuckin' havin' it during this one" during Magic Pie by Oasis then you're not really missing out on much.

I feel the same but I am slightly curious to know how John Shuttleworth's 'The Yamaha Years' went down. 

PaulTMA

Remember when he stood in on Lauren Laverne's show when there woz a strike on

holyzombiejesus

My friend was in a small upcoming band who had the same manager as The Charlatans and when he saw Burgess backstage at a festival he went over, explained that they shared a manager and tried to say hi. TB looked him up and down, sneered 'am I supposed to know you?' and walked off.

the science eel

I don't believe it. He's a good sort.

Remember when MES died, Burgess was the only 'head' they could get on Newsnight? that was a poor show

PaulTMA

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 06, 2020, 12:20:18 AM
My friend was in a small upcoming band who had the same manager as The Charlatans and when he saw Burgess backstage at a festival he went over, explained that they shared a manager and tried to say hi. TB looked him up and down, sneered 'am I supposed to know you?' and walked off.

It's weird, as he has a reputation for being amiable and pleasant, so I thought.  Could this incident have been during his pre-teetotal days? (One of my friends who is a massive dweeb approached him and said he couldn't have been nicer at the time).  It appears he got sobered/cleaned up, and I've heard people suggest that from then onwards he's channeled all his energy into doing fan-friendly activities, which explains how enthusiastic he's been on Twitter in recent years.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: the science eel on May 06, 2020, 12:31:24 AM
I don't believe it. He's a good sort.

Well, he wasn't fucking lying, if that's what you're inferring

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 06, 2020, 12:40:14 AM
It's weird, as he has a reputation for being amiable and pleasant, so I thought.  Could this incident have been during his pre-teetotal days? (One of my friends who is a massive dweeb approached him and said he couldn't have been nicer at the time).  It appears he got sobered/cleaned up, and I've heard people suggest that from then onwards he's channeled all his energy into doing fan-friendly activities, which explains how enthusiastic he's been on Twitter in recent years.

Might well have been. Happened at least a decade ago, possibly nearer 15.