Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim's Twitter Listening Parties

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 05, 2020, 11:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Well ,the Attack Of The Grey Lantern was 'interesting'. Mr. Draper's tweets seemed to be in 2 categories - coherent, (presumably pre-prepared) anecdotes about the songs and the recording process, interspersedwith some largely incoherent badly-spelled tweets about how their manager thought all their songs were shit and what bastards Chad & his lawyer were and how they caused the split, some of which were hurriedly deleted. I suspect booze may have been involved.

phantom_power

Would the deleted ones show up on the replay? i am not sure how it works. Does it just trawl Twitter for posts with that hashtag with a certain timestamp?

Jockice

Quote from: buzby on May 06, 2020, 10:38:16 PM
Well ,the Attack Of The Grey Lantern was 'interesting'. Mr. Draper's tweets seemed to be in 2 categories - coherent, (presumably pre-prepared) anecdotes about the songs and the recording process, interspersedwith some largely incoherent badly-spelled tweets about how their manager thought all their songs were shit and what bastards Chad & his lawyer were and how they caused the split, some of which were hurriedly deleted. I suspect booze may have been involved.

I found out recently Paul Draper follows me on Twitter. I haven't the slightest idea why. I'm not famous, have never met or spoken to him or commented on anything he's done and thought Mansun did a few decent songs but wouldn't call myself a fan. I've followed him back now but I don't expect us to become besties or anything.

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on May 07, 2020, 08:44:22 AM
Would the deleted ones show up on the replay? i am not sure how it works. Does it just trawl Twitter for posts with that hashtag with a certain timestamp?
I tihnk so. I've just checked Paul's timeline and all the scurrilous tweets have been excised now, so it's unlikely they would appear in the replay I think. The only remnants are some oblique references in replies from other accounts to the deleted tweets.

Of the ones that remain, finding out Wide Open Space's title came from John Motson, and where Dark Mavis's name came from was were possibly the best nuggets. Andie Rathbone also tweeted a couple of times too.

He's doing Six tonight at 9, so we'll see what happens...

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2020, 09:10:12 AM
I found out recently Paul Draper follows me on Twitter. I haven't the slightest idea why. I'm not famous, have never met or spoken to him or commented on anything he's done and thought Mansun did a few decent songs but wouldn't call myself a fan. I've followed him back now but I don't expect us to become besties or anything.
Snap! I didn't even know what Mansun's singer was called until a couple of weeks ago when I saw not only that I had gone from 9 to 10 followers, but that it was a blue tick jobby. I can't even imagine where we intersected on twitter, let alone why he thought to follow me. When I first got a soundcloud account about 10 years ago, I did that thing where you follow everyone who follows popular artists you think occupy a similar musical space than you in the hope that they look at your profile and play a track or two/follow you, which works like a charm, and I can only imagine he's doing something similar as he follows over 17,000 people. He must spend hours randomly clicking on people. I can see the logic of me doing that with my 5 listeners, but him? It also just looks desperate!

buzby

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on May 07, 2020, 02:54:04 PM
He must spend hours randomly clicking on people. I can see the logic of me doing that with my 5 listeners, but him? It also just looks desperate!
He is a bit of a strange chap - lives on his own and doesn't seem to get out that much. There's other stuff too that would probably make him an ideal CaB member...

Jockice

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on May 07, 2020, 02:54:04 PM
Snap! I didn't even know what Mansun's singer was called until a couple of weeks ago when I saw not only that I had gone from 9 to 10 followers, but that it was a blue tick jobby. I can't even imagine where we intersected on twitter, let alone why he thought to follow me. When I first got a soundcloud account about 10 years ago, I did that thing where you follow everyone who follows popular artists you think occupy a similar musical space than you in the hope that they look at your profile and play a track or two/follow you, which works like a charm, and I can only imagine he's doing something similar as he follows over 17,000 people. He must spend hours randomly clicking on people. I can see the logic of me doing that with my 5 listeners, but him? It also just looks desperate!

Over 17,000? And I thought I was special.

Non Stop Dancer

Just another notch in the bedpost sweetheart, sorry.

Spiteface

He kept following & unfollowing me for a while. Have no idea why. I never tweet about him or Mansun, all I own was a copy of six I picked up cheap and hardly listen to.

I've done a few of these listening parties: Mogwai's Come on Die Young was good to revisit for the first time in a while, and the first three Ash albums were good, too (Charlotte was even taking part on 2nd and third ones, memories of those times, photos and stuff)

The finest moment of the Ash ones, to me, was "Sick Party" trending that night. I love the idea of people finding 1977's hidden track for the first time in 2020.

purlieu

I feel for him, he's obviously got more than a few issues and has had more than one regrettable probably-drunken internet moment.

Jockice

Quote from: purlieu on May 07, 2020, 08:06:12 PM
I feel for him, he's obviously got more than a few issues and has had more than one regrettable probably-drunken internet moment.

I've no problem with the guy. He's never done me any harm. And I certainly don't wish him any. Just thought it was strange that he was following me.

Viero_Berlotti

Burgess was cancelled for being a scab years ago. So by extension all the artists involved in his feeble 'listening parties' should now be considered fully paid up, card carrying Tory scum.

https://libcom.org/news/tim-burgess-celebrity-charlatan-scab-19022013

buzby

The six one was slightly less chaotic, with only one deleted tweet I saw (something abut how Television was written whiel at in hotel rooms on tour, suffering from insomnia and OCD while some others nearly bankrupted the band hrough coke & hookers). Britpop got some slagging off early on as well, but I don't think that got deleted. The biggest thing was that Draper finally noticed Andie Rathbone was tweeting as well, (he tweeted a couple of times last night, but his handle doesn't relate to his name) and there was a bit of mutual admiration going on. Paul suggested they get back together to tour Six. Here's hoping.

phantom_power

I am really enjoying replaying these as I am never around to hear them in real time. Some are better in terms of info from the people involved. The Steve McQueen one is great for that. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best ones, or worst?

It is great just to have a reason to listen to some great much-loved albums all the way through, which I don't often do as I tend to want to listen to as much new (to me) stuff as I can at the moment

the science eel

phantom_power

I think Buzby is overstretched as it is

buzby

Replayed the Unknown Pleasures one today(missed it at the time). hook was the lad on this one, accompanied by Dave Haslam and Kevin Cummins. Cummins was the highlight, posting pictures from his contemporary shoots of the band for the NME. Hook predictably came out with all the 'It was all my idea' stuff from his books, as well as rewriting history by eulogising about Hannett's production (no mention that both he and Sumner hated it at the time) and what changes he makes to the songs to play with The Light.

Stephen also popped in for a couple of tweets, but there was predictably no actual interaction between him and Hook. There were a couple of celeb listeners as well - Jeremy Vine and Simon le Bon (who apparently went to see Joy Division play at The Moonlight Club in West Hampstead.

phantom_power

Martin McAloon and Wendy did most of the heavy lifting on the Prefab Sprout one as Paddy is a crazy wizard man who doesn't do the internet. Bonehead took control on the Definitely Maybe one and was pretty good, despite promising Liam would turn up at some point when he obviously wasn't. The Franz Ferdinand one was a bit dull. Going Blank Again was alright but you didn't really learn much, just a lot of "love this bit" type comments. I am trying to go through them chronologically but skipping ones I don't like but that could take forever so I might have to cherry-pick a bit more

the science eel

I saw some of Bonehead's comments and he was really into it, reliving past glories, generous with his recollections. And kind and funny to other posters.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on June 06, 2020, 06:14:55 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for the best ones, or worst?

The Sparks one was fun.
Worked as a great bit of promotion for the new album too.

PaulTMA

Alex Kapranos has gone well twatty and weird on Twitter recently

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: phantom_power on June 09, 2020, 06:53:15 AM
Martin McAloon and Wendy did most of the heavy lifting on the Prefab Sprout one as Paddy is a crazy wizard man who doesn't do the internet.

When I try to replay this I just get an ongoing "Stand by..." alongside the Play icon, although the preview works okay. I'm a technoklutz, please help.

phantom_power

It works fine when I click on the play button. Are you logged into Twitter? I am not sure if that is necessary or not

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: phantom_power on June 10, 2020, 08:44:18 AM
It works fine when I click on the play button. Are you logged into Twitter? I am not sure if that is necessary or not

Thanks. I don't have a Twitter account and that could well be the problem. Also I'm on an old computer and don't have a smartphone, which might matter. Eee, the nights will be drawing in soon.

buzby

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on June 10, 2020, 09:55:53 AM
Thanks. I don't have a Twitter account and that could well be the problem. Also I'm on an old computer and don't have a smartphone, which might matter. Eee, the nights will be drawing in soon.
I don't have a twitter account either. I've found that it doesn't work (I get the same 'Stand by... thing without it ever starting) if I'm logged into the works VPN as the firewall blocks some of the Java stuff it relies on. If I'm on my normal broadband it works fine.

Twonty Gostelow

Thanks, Buzby. I'll trawl through the public twitter feed of the guy in charge of the replay facility to see if it's been brought up.

phantom_power

I am trying to work through these in order, skipping the ones I know I will not like. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Jollification one. It really is a very good pop album. It won't shatter any worlds but is good bittersweet, light pop with some great songwriting and backing vocals from Alison Moyet and Terry Hall