Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tories 'using pandemic to transfer NHS duties to private sector' [split topic]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 05, 2020, 11:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe government is using the coronavirus pandemic to transfer key public health duties from the NHS and other state bodies to the private sector without proper scrutiny, critics have warned.

Doctors, campaign groups, academics and MPs raised the concerns about a "power grab" after it emerged on Monday that Serco was in pole position to win a deal to supply 15,000 call-handlers for the government's tracking and tracing operation.

They said the health secretary, Matt Hancock, had "accelerated" the dismantling of state healthcare and that the duty to keep the public safe was being "outsourced" to the private sector.

In recent weeks, ministers have used special powers to bypass normal tendering and award a string of contracts to private companies and management consultants without open competition.

Deloitte, KPMG, Serco, Sodexo, Mitie, Boots and the US data mining group Palantir have secured taxpayer-funded commissions to manage Covid-19 drive-in testing centres, the purchasing of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the building of Nightingale hospitals.

Now, the Guardian has seen a letter from the Department of Health to NHS trusts instructing them to stop buying any of their own PPE and ventilators.

From Monday, procurement of a list of 16 items must be handled centrally. Many of the items on the list, such as PPE, are in high demand during the pandemic, while others including CT scanners, mobile X-ray machines and ultrasounds are high-value machines that are used more widely in hospitals...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/uk-government-using-crisis-to-transfer-nhs-duties-to-private-sector

I think it will start with failing health trusts, if outside of area trusts can bid for contracts in the current system, then it would be straightforward to open the door to outsiders, such as private American firms.

BlodwynPig