Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone know any good youtube tutorials for inkscape/vector graphics?

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 05, 2020, 02:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Beginner level. Obviously there's loads of this stuff on youtube but I want to know if any are any cop.

bakabaka

But Inkscape is spectacularly shit! Designed by engineers for coders, it's the only vector graphics program that has a default measurement system in pixels! Makes as much sense as bleach for medicine, I suppose. Finding a pre-hacked version of Illustrator or just adding the ET hack[nb]...so it doesn't phone home[/nb] to CS5 or earlier is a doddle and you can learn all the basics in an hour. It has been honed for the last 30 years to be useable by brain-dead arts graduates who are more interested in their profiles and culturally-acceptable dietary intake than knowing when to use CMYK. And as long as you stay away from Adobe, you'll be fine.[nb]Useful advice generally.[/nb]

Of the 3 dozen plus people I've known who have tried to learn Inkscape, only one lasted more than one session. Most of them spent longer complaining about it than they could trying to fathom why none of the obvious tools in a drawing program are accessible without resetting preferences five levels down.

But if you want to draw by typing gcode, then you've come to the right place!

Sebastian Cobb

Illustrator would require me to install windows on something or fire up my hackintosh and i can't be arsed.

Neomod

I found these when I downloaded inkscape recently. Still haven't got round to watching them yet but could be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqazFFzUAPc5lOQwDoZ4Dw2YSXtO7lWNv

Have had a little play with inkscape and I must say it's not very intuitive.

earl_sleek

Inkscape is one of the most AIDS applications I've ever used.

Blue Jam

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Neomod on May 06, 2020, 12:12:59 AM

Have had a little play with inkscape and I must say it's not very intuitive.

I think that's true of most graphics software. I don't think photoshop is intuitive it's just the standard.

Measuring in pixels sounds great tbh.

Neomod

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 10:07:52 AM
I think that's true of most graphics software. I don't think photoshop is intuitive it's just the standard.

Measuring in pixels sounds great tbh.

Yes, it's a case of getting used to/knowing the tricks etc.

I downloaded an older version of illustrator last night and will try both as I'm interested in getting into some vector art.

Blumf

One big issue with Inkscape is it's Windows version, it's horribly clunky compared to it's natural *nix version. Seems the underlying GTK toolkit it's written with just isn't as polished on Windows (can't speak for Mac).

So, if you've only played with it on Windows, see if you can try it on Linux some time, makes a massive difference.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah if I still had windows to hand or thought I was going to use it heavily rather than knock out a few bits and pieces then I'd go with illustrator but it looks like inkscape will suffice.

That said, it does look like Illustrator works with wine.

Pseudopath

Don't laugh too hard, but Paint Shop Pro used to have a pretty-intuitive set of vector drawing tools when I worked with it (albeit 15 years ago). No idea what AIDS-tier company Corel have done to it in the interim, but there's no harm in giving the trial version a spin.

EDIT: Oh...you're on Linux. Ignore me.

Sebastian Cobb

PSP used to be good for doing basic photoshop operations without having to learn lots of photoshop.

Neomod

Paint shop Pro was the first art programme I got into since Deluxe Paint on the Amiga. I bailed when Corel took it over.

Dewt

Quote from: bakabaka on May 05, 2020, 08:54:00 PM
But Inkscape is spectacularly shit! Designed by engineers for coders
Hah, very true. See also: GIMP

Neomod

Interesting comparison between Inkscape and Illustrator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXX10LdrhA

It seems I've been trying the old version of Inkscape. A new version has just been released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcx8Qcmcak

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dewt on May 09, 2020, 04:27:59 PM
Hah, very true. See also: GIMP

GIMP? AIDS more like.

I've found Inkscape to be a perfectly decent Illustrator clone but GIMP as a substitute for PhotoShop can fuck right off.

Sebastian Cobb

There's gimpshop which is a reworked UI to make it more photoshoppy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blumf

Quote from: Neomod on May 10, 2020, 02:00:04 PM
It seems I've been trying the old version of Inkscape. A new version has just been released.

The Windows version is a bit better than previously. Still a bit slow in places, but the controls seem to work better.