Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:24:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Wilsons Save The World (R4)

Started by mippy, May 05, 2020, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Keep catching this on Radio 4 Extra, and...it's possibly the most middle class thing I've heard in my life.  Premise is that Marcus Brigstocke (posh dad) and, I think, Kerry Godliman (working class Essex mum) force their two children into various eco-friendly habits in order to reduce their carbon footprint. One episode guest-starred Caitlin Moran when the family went to a book and cheese festival, where she was portrayed as the, I dunno, Noam Chomsky of vague feminism.

Is it as bad as The Castle? No. But that's not saying much.

jsgibble

I'll have to listen to The Castle then because this was awful. Kerry Godliman's a good actor and Marcus Brigstocke can be alright sometimes but the script was just shit.

Pink Gregory

Is it just the Modern Parents?  Because it sounds like the Modern Parents.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: mippy on May 05, 2020, 03:25:50 PM
Keep catching this on Radio 4 Extra, and...it's possibly the most middle class thing I've heard in my life.  Premise is that Marcus Brigstocke (posh dad) and, I think, Kerry Godliman (working class Essex mum) force their two children into various eco-friendly habits in order to reduce their carbon footprint. One episode guest-starred Caitlin Moran when the family went to a book and cheese festival, where she was portrayed as the, I dunno, Noam Chomsky of vague feminism.

Is it as bad as The Castle? No. But that's not saying much.

Most middle class thing on R4 is "wooden overcoats" man, that's the biggest pile of self absorbed "look at us we are classically trained in everything" elitist garbage. All involved need to actually engage with a real human. Wank.

Gurke and Hare

Oh god, I'd forgotten about The Castle you bastard.

Marcus Brigstocke definitely has dodgy photos of everyone who's ever been in charge of comedy on Radio 4.

Andy147

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 05, 2020, 04:19:34 PM
Is it just the Modern Parents?  Because it sounds like the Modern Parents.

The episode I heard wasn't really like the Modern Parents; the daughters (or at least the younger one) were if anything more keen on being eco-friendly than the parents, and the parents were portrayed much more sympathetically - when their attempts at being green went wrong, the comedy (such as it was) was "it's not easy being green" rather than "look at these zealous idiots/hypocrites".

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 05, 2020, 04:35:40 PM
Marcus Brigstocke definitely has dodgy photos of everyone who's ever been in charge of comedy on Radio 4.

I'm not a fan in the slightest but I'm starting to think that he might be the nicest, kindest guy who's ever lived, as that's the only way I can explain why the genuinely very funny Rachel Parris married him.

idunnosomename

I am glad i am not the only person who holds The Castle as some untouchable icon of utterly appalling radio 4 comedy.

Written by Kim Fuller (Paul to Simon's Jonathan), who also brought us... Miami 7

It'll be even worse now its trite BBC references will be stuck in the distant past of 2007

poodlefaker

Heard about two mins of one episode that began with the dad singing along to The Smiths and being harrangued by the teenage child. Woefully bad.