Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

X Æ A-12 (Elon Musk spawns) [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 06, 2020, 11:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 06, 2020, 03:20:39 PM
Yes. (aka the very successful pop musician several orders of magnitude more famous than Elon Musk)

I think that really depends where on the Internet you live.

I became aware of her when Visions came out. My dad knows who Elon Musk is.

touchingcloth

The only Grimes I'm aware of is Darren. I was going to say that sadly I do know of Elon Musk, but on the strength of that tweet I don't feel like this Grimes is someone whose presence I have missed out on thus far.

mippy

Quote from: Cuellar on May 06, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
Imagine having a favourite aircraft, as a couple.

Elon Musk is just a rich Alan Partridge.

I was reading loads of wedding mags last year, mostly to affirm my decision to elope, and one couple had "signature cocktails" named after each of their cars, the Cayenne and the Jaguar. Which is so immensely boring.

I'm convinced the name is a joke, but then I remember the awful Elon Musk themed Simpsons episode and change my mind.

mippy

Anyway, I like those De Havilland seaplanes myself.

Dewt

When money stops being something that just provides basic comfort and peace of mind it's an absolute curse. There must be about four people on the entire planet who have figured out how to not be too poor or too rich, but just right.

touchingcloth

We've put a trust fund together for X Æ A-12. For college? No, so that their existence can be a real life version of Ready Player One, obviously.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 06, 2020, 04:32:42 PM
When money stops being something that just provides basic comfort and peace of mind it's an absolute curse. There must be about four people on the entire planet who have figured out how to not be too poor or too rich, but just right.

As far as I know bezos who is the only one who has used his own power and influence to prop up tv shows because he likes them/the books (the expanse). If nothing else, you'd think more people would do that. Bring back Carnevale just because you liked it etc. 

imitationleather

X Æ A-12? Cuh! Maybe they'd forgotten the possibility of calling their kid Barry.

Captain Z

X Æ A-12, or Grimey, as he likes to be called.

QDRPHNC

Ambient Sheep

The BBC has covered this here.  Apparently the child's name is likely to be pronounced "X Ash Archangel".

Something else in that article struck me as strange though:

Quote[in] California certain [baby] names cannot be registered.  The rules there stipulate that no pictographs, ideograms and diacritical marks for example è, ñ, ē, ç can be used when registering the birth. Names have to consist of the 26 letters of the alphabet."

Isn't that seriously prejudicial against their (presumably) rather large Spanish-speaking community?!  Seems pretty off for one of the more liberal US States.

Sebastian Cobb

In Belgum the authorities can veto names, and they basically were all 'lol, non!' when the Renault family wanted to register baby Megane.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/renault_megane/

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 04:55:21 PM
The BBC has covered this here.  Apparently the child's name is likely to be pronounced "X Ash Archangel".

Isn't that seriously prejudicial against their (presumably) rather large Spanish-speaking community?!  Seems pretty off for one of the more liberal US States.

I wonder if there's some devil in the detail about what "registering" actually entails? E.g. can a person have the name César on their passport and all other identifying documents even if as a baby it has to be registered as Cesar? There's obviously a lot of Spanish names which include diacritics and California must have one of the highest proportions of those names, but there will be a lot apostrophes among French and Irish surnames, so are they also not allowed?

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry mate the PDP this was originally built for didn't support extended character sets!

Blumf

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 04:55:21 PM

Quote[in] California certain [baby] names cannot be registered.  The rules there stipulate that no pictographs, ideograms and diacritical marks for example è, ñ, ē, ç can be used when registering the birth. Names have to consist of the 26 letters of the alphabet."

Might be a hangover from older census data systems that could only handle a restrictive Latin alphabets (pre-dating ASCII even, never mind Unicode)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 05:08:46 PMSorry mate the PDP this was originally built for didn't support extended character sets!

Quote from: Blumf on May 06, 2020, 05:21:29 PMMight be a hangover from older census data systems that could only handle a restrictive Latin alphabets (pre-dating ASCII even, never mind Unicode)

Yeah, if this were the 80s, or even the 90s, I could easily believe that.  But nowadays?!  Still, it may well be the truth.

Hadn't even thought about Irish O' type names.  I guess it just becomes OMalley or whatever.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 05:26:51 PM
Yeah, if this were the 80s, or even the 90s, I could easily believe that.  But nowadays?!  Still, it may well be the truth.

I reckon it's plausible. Rich state with a population the size of a European country adopt early in the mainframe days and now the same old cobol or whatever is being emulated somewhere. It's relatively common in high availability stuff like banks innit?

mippy

Anything bureaucratic over there seems to get very confused if you don't have a middle name, as well. I've filled out tax forms (because I make a really small amount of money each year in commission for a fabric design) and it wouldn't accept that I didn't have one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mippy on May 06, 2020, 05:31:36 PM
Anything bureaucratic over there seems to get very confused if you don't have a middle name, as well. I've filled out tax forms (because I make a really small amount of money each year in commission for a fabric design) and it wouldn't accept that I didn't have one.

I've encountered people like that.

I don't really know why I don't have one. I can only assume it took my parents so long to come up with one name one of them just said 'fuck this' on a second.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 05:31:58 PM
I don't really know why I don't have one. I can only assume it took my parents so long to come up with one name one of them just said 'fuck this' on a second.

I think your middle names may have been deleted by an official from the registry of births and deaths. They weren't really appropriate for a child.

Ambient Sheep

I have two, so I probably stole one of theirs.

Lots of things can't cope with more than one middle initial though.  Luckily both my middle initials are the same, so that makes it easier.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 05:30:51 PM
I reckon it's plausible. Rich state with a population the size of a European country adopt early in the mainframe days and now the same old cobol or whatever is being emulated somewhere. It's relatively common in high availability stuff like banks innit?

Yep. California might paradoxically have more legacy systems still in use just because a lot of the people fluent in them would have been based there. It's probably a fair bet that there were a disproportionate amount of retired ones flying out of California when they were needed to help with Y2K readiness.

touchingcloth

Other thoughts, as well as people without middle names being affected, mononymous people often are as well. Marketing email systems often have ways of addressing people as "Dear <informal name>", informal name being the first name of people on the database and reverting back to the last name if the first name is either not present or fewer than 3 characters, which like with mononyms affects non-Western names disproportionately. I used "first name" and "last name" deliberately, since yet another common issue in these systems is the assumption that first and last are the same thing as given and surnames.

If nothing else you'd think a tech entrepreneur would realise the troubles he's opening his kid up to with a name like that. I'm only surprised he didn't opt for one of those geeklol SQL names for full cunt marks.

First name "XKÆCD", last name "%NULL", oh my poor sides.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 12:55:26 PM
Grimes is the lady Elon made a baby with.

As someone who has seen the tracklistings of her albums I am not surprised by any of this.
Archangel? Burial has been dragged into the Elon Musk universe

touchingcloth

Hi, my name is (what?)
My name is (who?)
My name is
Chicka chicka chicka
Slm ⚔️🐀 Shæ̃dy

chveik

what the fuck's wrong with her. she seemed vaguely more sound at the time of her first album.

touchingcloth

There's so much to unpick with this that one egregious element hasn't been singled out here yet: "my elven spelling". Mate. MATE. Would it be more or less deserving of grave if that had been "elfin"?

Thursday

Yeah the anime avatar really is unforgivable.

touchingcloth

If the SR-71 is their favourite aircraft, what are they doing mucking about honouring its precursor by naming their kid after it? It would be like making your kid's middle name the given name of your war hero grandfather's pedo guy father.