Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:07:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

X Æ A-12 (Elon Musk spawns) [split topic]

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 06, 2020, 11:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: Cuellar on May 06, 2020, 12:57:45 PM
Imagine having a favourite aircraft, as a couple.

Yeah, imagine two people sharing an interest in engineering. Truly unforgivable.

I heard that the A12 bit is from their favourite East Anglian trunk road.

The wean might even have been conceived in one of its capacious lay-bys. Who can say for certain that they weren't trundling along towards the outskirts of Lowestoft in that big silver motor that big Musky invented (whose window could NEVER be smashed) and decided to pull in for a quickie.

mjwilson

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 04:55:21 PM
The BBC has covered this here.  Apparently the child's name is likely to be pronounced "X Ash Archangel".

Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be calling the kid that.

wasp_f15ting

idunnosomename

Elon and Grimes give baby stupid name shocker

touchingcloth

Quote from: mjwilson on May 06, 2020, 09:26:16 PM

Eggs Ass Arseanus.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Please transfer to the technology folder

cheers

idunnosomename

grimes and elon also get to get dunked and drowned in my royal vat of semen

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 06, 2020, 08:17:06 PM
I heard that the A12 bit is from their favourite East Anglian trunk road.

The wean might even have been conceived in one of its capacious lay-bys. Who can say for certain that they weren't trundling along towards the outskirts of Lowestoft in that big silver motor that big Musky invented (whose window could NEVER be smashed) and decided to pull in for a quickie.

Paul Ross has been conspicuous by his lack of comment on this child.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: mjwilson on May 06, 2020, 09:26:16 PM

Just "Ash", probably.  Or maybe "X".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 07, 2020, 12:46:07 AM
Just "Ash", probably.  Or maybe "X".

The interactions that kid will be subjected to, though. Every teacher first time they reach them in the register.

"Adam. Adele. Ay...ai...ay-ee...is it...Oeeee...."

"It's Ash, sir."

"Ash?"

"Yes."

"No, I've got to...Aye...er...hai-a-hai-ha....er...there's no 'Ash'."

"It's me, sir. It's pronounced 'Ash'."

"How is it?"

"It just is."

"But...how?"

"It's a character formed from the letters a and e, originally a ligature representing the Latin diphthong ae. It has been promoted to the full status of a letter in some languages, including Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, and Faroese. It was also used in Old Swedish before being changed to ä. Today, the International Phonetic Alphabet uses it to represent the "a" sound in the English word "cat". As a letter of the Old English Latin alphabet, it was called æsc, or "ash tree", after the Anglo-Saxon futhorc rune ᚫ which it transliterated; its traditional name in English is still ash /æʃ/."

"O...er...OK..."

"And it is often just called aye ee."

"So it's...aiyeee?"

"No, sir; it's Ash."

Polymorphia

First time I saw "X Æ A-12" referenced, I thought it was some insane joke where no context could explain it, and then when I was looking through the news, I saw it was real and it kinda fucked my head, but if I'm honest, it's not really that far from what Grimes/Musk are like...
I am reminded of this story: https://www.startribune.com/this-boat-don-t-float/49134952/
and when Grimes began to refer to herself as 'c' instead of her real/stage names, referencing the speed of light, and given that context, it fits perfectly, and yet it still it seems so insane to me that an actual child could be called that, but given the parents are millionaires, it's
just a funny news story rather than a fucking atrocity.

And the pronunciations they've come up with are total ad-hoc wank to please the masses that they're not completely insane, really... good God!

idunnosomename

i know the ascii code for that diphthong because of Tool

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 06, 2020, 05:26:51 PM
Hadn't even thought about Irish O' type names.  I guess it just becomes OMalley or whatever.

Someone in a Grimes thread on reddit with an O' name said that legally, with the apostrophe not recognised, they've been left with O as a middle name.

Clownbaby

I presume they've got a vaguely pronouncable backup nickname to use day to day when he's having an absolute ugly tantrum and smearing quinoa all over his clothes and they're sick of it and need to discipline him. "X AE A-12 NO. STOP IT." That's gonna get old.

Nah mam n dad will probably have someone who'll take care of that side of things

I'd always really hated how many celebrities call their kids moron babyish names like Buddy Bear and Teddy and Rainbow and Honey Kinney but christ this can fuck off

earl_sleek

Is it really any stranger than David Bowie calling his son Zowie?

Yes. Yes, it's a whole fucking lot stranger.

earl_sleek

It'd have been funnier if they'd given him (nearly typed 'it' there - the name makes it him sound not like a human) a really mundane boring name, like Callum or Barry.

Pingers

It is a bit odd how everyone's question on hearing that someone's pregnant is "girl or boy". We should think wider and ask things like How many arms has it got? Does it have a beak? What are you doing having a child you emotionally deformed spirit void?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yaaay another fucking parasite who'll condescendingly tell the poors to work hard "just like I did" even though they'll grow up wanting for nothing because of Daddy's fucking money. just go to fucking Mars would you.

DiClassomo

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 09, 2020, 02:10:49 AM
Is it really any stranger than David Bowie calling his son Zowie?

Yes. Yes, it's a whole fucking lot stranger.

It's about the same as Moon Unit

Alberon

At least those were actual words though.

moondogs

The only Grimes I know is Peter, but I don't think the two are related.

Whilst I wouldn't name my kid after a plane, and would probably stick to the Latin alphabet, the SR71 Blackbird is a little piece of insanity (it's actually over 100ft long) and unrivalled in aerospace engineering.

If anyone would like to hear any SR71 anecdotes please do let me know.

Butchers Blind

As much as this algebra of a name is ridiculous, I would have found it just as amusing if they called it something mundane like Trevor.

Blumf

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 10, 2020, 07:39:04 PM
As much as this algebra of a name is ridiculous, I would have found it just as amusing if they called it something mundane like Trevor.

So, named after a car instead?

(already alluded to Trevor Goodchild up thread)

Mister Six

Quote from: moondogs on May 10, 2020, 07:30:13 PM

I would!

Dex Sawash

Quote from: moondogs on May 10, 2020, 07:30:13 PM

I suppose if you don't have any Gee Bee Super Sportster anecdotes, those sr71 ones will do

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 06, 2020, 12:55:26 PM

She's not correct about the A-12 - it had electronic countermeasures equipment fitted to defend itself from enemy radar and missile tracking. The SR-71 design was basically complete before the A-12 made it's first test flight (it first flew in April 1962 and the USAF were shown the SR-71 mockup in June), so it was hardly it's precursor, more like it's sibling. The A-12 actually flew higher and faster than the SR-71, as it was smaller and lighter (it only had a one-man crew instead of two, had a smaller payload bay and held less fuel) but had the same engines.

The A-12 ended up getting retired just 6 years after it's first test flight and less than a year after it's first operational mission due to the massive costs of operating parallel CIA and USAF programmes (the A-12 was a wholly CIA funded and operated programme), and internecine rivalry between the CIA and USAF over who should be doing strategic reconnaissance. The decision was taken in 1966, before it had even been declared operational. Even in the short time it was operational, the North Vietnamese defences had managed to get track and launch missiles at A-12 overflights twice.

Neither the A-12 or SR-71 were ever used on the mission they were primarily designed for- providing reconnaissance of the Soviet nuclear weapons programme. The shooting down of Francis Garry Powers in 1960 put paid to that. Satellite reconnaissance platforms had to be developed to take over that task.

The CIA however did continue to operate the U2 in the reconnaissance role, sometimes using pilots from allied nations to crew flights over enemy territory for 'plausible denaibility'. RAF pilots flew missions over the USSR prior to 1960, and continued to fly missions over Warsaw Pact terriories and the Middle East until the late 1960s (The U2 programme still has a hangar at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus as we let the US operate from there as well as RAF Fairford). Taiwanese pilots of the 35th 'Black Cat' squadron were used to fly missions over China between 1961 and 1974.

The U2/TR1 is still used for reconnaissance misisons, long after it's more flashy successors have been retired.

rack and peanut

Is this why Johnson is naming his latest accident "eurofighter"?