Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Florian Schneider

Started by Egyptian Feast, May 06, 2020, 02:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

I've been seeing an increasing number of posts on Facebook and Twitter this morning saying he's died. No confirmation yet, so hopefully this will sink or turn into another Kraftwerk appreciation thread.

mrClaypole

I can't find anything on the web. I hope its not true.

wosl

This would be horrid if true. Hope like mad the baldy old boffin's all right. (This reminds me that I once put the willies up dear old Serge by creating a thread about Florian that featured just his name in the title.)

Egyptian Feast

It all seems to have started from a post on Mark Reeder's Facebook page. There's plenty of people posting about him on Twitter now and someone apparently updated his Wikipedia page earlier, though it seems to have changed back. I'm going to assume it's bollocks for now.

PaulTMA

I can't get this to load, but saw it in my newsfeed.  Don't know if it's been pulled or what
https://louderthanwar.com/florian-schneider-kraftwerk-rip/

Egyptian Feast

It's not working for me either. There seems to be more and more tributes appearing to him on Twitter, a couple of which cited Louder Than War.

alan nagsworth

A lot of places reporting this now...

Crabwalk

Agh, atrocious news. Tony Allen going last week was bad enough.

imitationleather

Dewt

Inspector Norse

Sure there are some robot jokes coming (planned obsolescence?) but this is sad to hear. Such an important, influential and interesting guy. RIP

wosl

A huge shame.  One of those people you can't begin to do justice to at a time and in a thread like this. .

Cuntbeaks

Was watching the Beat Club videos of him along with Michael Rother and Klaus Dinger at the weekend, again. For me, the most potent Kraftwerk line up that ever existed.

The whole 'robotnik' thing got old for me very quickly, yes it was groundbreaking, but they booted the arse right out of it.

The first three Kraftwerk albums have been criminally overlooked with recent remasters etc. An absolute travesty.

Farewell Florian, hopefully you're playing the techno flute up there with Klaus again.

wosl

There's that footage of a Hütter/Schneider/Klaus Dinger line-up doing a live version of Ruckzuck that Florian absolutely makes with some dreamy flute passages.  Kraftwerk 2 and Ralf And Florian are terrific, and it's a shame that Ralf seems to have reneged on giving them the dust-off-and-brush-up reissue treatment. 

Egyptian Feast

Bollocks, I was hoping it wasn't true. RIP.

mrClaypole

Its true. I'm really quite upset. I hope he was working on some music in the 12 years he was out of Kraftwerk that we might get to hear.
Sad sad day. R.I.P Herr Schneider

Joy Nktonga

Quote from: Dewt on May 06, 2020, 04:30:17 PM
Das ist scheiße.
Das ist sehr scheiße! Bloody horrible news. RIP Florian.

chveik

that's really sad indeed.

Gregory Torso

Very shit news. A cool guy. A genuine pioneer. It's fucking mad the influence Kraftwerk had.

Absorb the anus burn

Jockice

Quote from: wosl on May 06, 2020, 05:04:49 PM
There's that footage of a Hütter/Schneider/Klaus Dinger line-up doing a live version of Ruckzuck that Florian absolutely makes with some dreamy flute passages.  Kraftwerk 2 and Ralf And Florian are terrific, and it's a shame that Ralf seems to have reneged on giving them the dust-off-and-brush-up reissue treatment.

A mate of mine used to play Ruckzuck on the record player in the sixth form common room just to annoy people. It usually worked. Kraftwerk was the third proper concert I went to. And Florian was my favourite member, basically cos he really looked like a mad professor. Saw them again ten years later but couldn't get tickets last time they played the same venue but I wasn't too bothered because it was just Ralf Hutter and some other blokes.

I hope his brother Fred's not taking it too badly.

Natnar

I'm the operator with my pocket corpse cremator :(.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Jockice on May 06, 2020, 07:08:20 PM
A mate of mine used to play Ruckzuck on the record player in the sixth form common room just to annoy people.

Must admit, I'm more of a fan of that first Kraftwerk record than most of their later stuff.  I just love that first year or two of freakout krautisms courtesy of things like Kluster/Cluster 1, Electronic Meditation, Monster Movie, German Oak etc.  It's all like a lot of the best post-psyche stuff, violent, occasionally sepulchral, always paranoid, and completely at odds with the love-ins afoot elsewhere.  Can see why the 'verk would want to distance themselves from such a rudely undisciplined phase in their development, but wadda they know?

sevendaughters

controversially I like all their stuff pretty much and think it was awesome how he never really broke kayfabe

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Christ , terrible news :(

DrGreggles

kalowski

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 06, 2020, 04:55:32 PM

The first three Kraftwerk albums have been criminally overlooked with recent remasters etc. An absolute travesty.
Yes, genius works. Loved the later stuff too. RIP you big dumkoff.

greencalx