Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Florian Schneider

Started by Egyptian Feast, May 06, 2020, 02:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Badger

Possibly one for the coincidences thread but my housemate commented on this while I was sorting out a bunch of records I was bequeathed and what should I pull out not five minutes later? A mint condition version of The Man-Machine.

Danger Man

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 06, 2020, 07:04:10 PM
Very shit news. A cool guy. A genuine pioneer. It's fucking mad the influence Kraftwerk had.

As many have said, The Beatles of techno.

Danger Man

Which makes Florian John....

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Polymorphia

Devastating news. When I first really got into music, Kraftwerk were one of the first bands I was enamoured with, I was completely obsessed with their whole discography. RIP to a genuine total legend

hummingofevil

Absolutely gutted about this. I don't tend to cry at death but Neil Innes really got me as I saw him recently and it was so joyous.

I adore the Minimum Maximum era Kraftwerk and that gig in 2004 at Manchester Apollo is possibly the greatest thing i have ever attended. Walking up from Oxford Road with 1000s of people; all of us thinking it and some actually verbalising the sentiment "fuck me, we going to see KRAFTWERK" was so incredible.

That they then nailed it (in a standy up venue you could dance in) was something else. Neon Lights made me burst into tears of joy that night; I listened to it again this evening on my government sanctioned hour of exercise and tears again streamed down my face. A genius.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2020, 01:58:26 AM
Neon Lights made me burst into tears of joy that night; I listened to it again this evening on my government sanctioned hour of exercise and tears again streamed down my face. A genius.

That song always gives me such shivers, it's just so fucking beautiful. The Man Machine was my first Kraftwerk album and will likely always be my favourite.

I'm ashamed to say I never got around to investigating the pre-Autobahn albums bar the odd track on comps. I must give them a listen.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2020, 01:58:26 AM
Absolutely gutted about this. I don't tend to cry at death but Neil Innes really got me as I saw him recently and it was so joyous.

I adore the Minimum Maximum era Kraftwerk and that gig in 2004 at Manchester Apollo is possibly the greatest thing i have ever attended. Walking up from Oxford Road with 1000s of people; all of us thinking it and some actually verbalising the sentiment "fuck me, we going to see KRAFTWERK" was so incredible.

That they then nailed it (in a standy up venue you could dance in) was something else. Neon Lights made me burst into tears of joy that night; I listened to it again this evening on my government sanctioned hour of exercise and tears again streamed down my face. A genius.

Your love of music and the way you talk about it is so in sync with my own impressions of it. I always enjoy reading your posts here and this one is no exception.

Jockice

My first real memory of Kraftwerk was when I was on a school trip to France when I was 12 in 1978. One day I ended up in a record shop (I loved record shops, even though as I've mentioned many a time, I didn't even have a record player) and chanced upon the sleeve of The Man-Machine. The title and sleeve (identically dressed men wearing make-up) made me think they must be a gay group. Yuk. Best avoided. I suppose I must have heard Autobahn before them but couldn't remember it.

A couple of years later and thanks to a hip schoolmate and my parents finally having bought me a stereo, I heard it and was entranced. A masterpiece. Especially Neon Lights. Of course when The Model got to number one a couple of years later, I looked down on those johnny come latelys who were now calling themselves fans. Bloody bandwagon jumpers.

Mr_Simnock

This is horrible new, really horrible. Yes I too love their first 3 albums, they are simply amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggbaNpxdIjE

It's a shme both ralf and florian began to distance themselves from this earlier work at times (hence no remaster of some stuff)

wosl

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 07, 2020, 01:58:26 AMNeon Lights made me burst into tears of joy that night

Neon Lights is one of the classic era tracks that has retained its magic best in terms of the revamped/spruced up laptops-on-lecterns Kraftwerk sound, I just wish[ed] that they could['ve] extend[ed] that gorgeous outro for several minutes more, to at least match the length of the original and preferably go beyond it; every recent/live version I've heard only runs to about the six minute mark.

Brundle-Fly

I love that story that Karl Bartos once told on 6Music about the last ever time he saw Schneider. He hadn't had any contact in years but one day in Dusseldorf he spotted Florian sat behind the wheel of his VW, stuck in traffic. Bartos said he gave a little smile and waved to him like he was his maiden aunt.

R.I.P. FS

Dewt

I thought one of Kraftwerk dying would have been a bigger deal than this.

pupshaw

I remember Autobahn from when I was at school. All the "proper music" fans hated it and the music press coverage was palpably angry that something different was being taken seriously. Nailed on one-hit wonders.

Then around 1979 I was in a dismal shopping arcade in Feltham, where there was a shop that rented/sold music gear. There were two big Bose speakers on those high stands belting out this FANTASTIC sound and in those days the only way you could find out what it was was to go into the shop and ask. Which I did. It was Trans-Europe Express (by Kraftwerk). I remember being amazed that this "novelty" act everyone expected would disappear had moved on so far.

Cuntbeaks

Exceptional audio quality on this gem of a Beat Club clip, other tracks are also available!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Y_-ZLGW1o

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2020, 10:47:16 AM
My first real memory of Kraftwerk was when I was on a school trip to France when I was 12 in 1978. One day I ended up in a record shop (I loved record shops, even though as I've mentioned many a time, I didn't even have a record player) and chanced upon the sleeve of The Man-Machine. The title and sleeve (identically dressed men wearing make-up) made me think they must be a gay group. Yuk. Best avoided. I suppose I must have heard Autobahn before them but couldn't remember it.

The other record I can remember seeing in that shop was Some Girls by the Rolling Stones, which was on display all over the windows. Now they were real heterosexual men. You'd never see them in make-up.

It's a bit strange looking back at that actually. We were basically allowed to go wandering off on our own a lot of the time. I can't remember anyone else being in the record shop with me. I should imagine that these days if anyone went out of the teachers' eyeline for a minute on a school trip abroad there would be mass panic, police involvement, social media scandal, staff being sacked...

pupshaw

Quote from: Jockice on May 07, 2020, 06:32:53 PM
The other record I can remember seeing in that shop was Some Girls by the Rolling Stones, which was on display all over the windows. Now they were real heterosexual men. You'd never see them in make-up.

It's a bit strange looking back at that actually. We were basically allowed to go wandering off on our own a lot of the time. I can't remember anyone else being in the record shop with me. I should imagine that these days if anyone went out of the teachers' eyeline for a minute on a school trip abroad there would be mass panic, police involvement, social media scandal, staff being sacked...

... and you would have been raped, murdered, drowned and gone under a bus.

Jockice

Quote from: pupshaw on May 07, 2020, 08:29:53 PM
... and you would have been raped, murdered, drowned and gone under a bus.

Well, these things happen, don't they?

(Actually, the coach driver on the trip really was a paedo. Not interested in me but very interested in the only other lad from my year on the trip, one of those boys who was very obviously gay. But that's another story.).

Glitch King

Very obviously Glitch King!

mrClaypole

Sorry to bump an old thread but I was searching through the Steve Hoffman forums this morning trying to find the thread about the differences in the remasters of the kraftwerk back catalogue but stumbled on the Florian tribute posts.
Someone posted a quote from Florians sister?  Had posted something on her Instagram account that made my heart lift.

I'll just have to write it out as have no clue how to upload a screen shot.

"Thankyou so much for your overwhelming love and affection for Florian

He passed in peace with Ralf, 2 robots crying.

Our mother and sister Tina visited him to invite him to the skies.

His last words were:
Thankyou I am not afraid of death.
I had a good life. I am not sad, don't be sad either "
He was buried on7.5.20 in a small circle of family and friends.

He wants us to make a nice party for him.
"