Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

UK lockdown restrictions to be eased from Monday [split topic]

Started by jobotic, May 06, 2020, 09:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Fambo Number Mive

Unless you have young children, has being only allowed to go out for exercise once a day been that much of an issue?

It's very unfair that people who continue to be responsible after Monday and only go out once a day for exercise and don't sunbathe in parks will also be more at risk of the virus due to the restrictions being eased and will face a stricter second lockdown along with people who will welcome the new lockdown restrictions. I was going to go food shopping on Monday, wondering if going on Sunday will make much difference. Think I might just get up earlier on Monday.

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: Zetetic on May 07, 2020, 09:26:33 AM
The Science will bend its knee.

You can prove anything with facts, kinda thing. Yeah.

I just spoke to a manager who said 'they never promised to reduce the numbers to NZ levels, just to keep them below NHS capacity'. Fair fucks. That's actually true.

finnquark

The existing global principle of prioritising economic growth over lives has been localised, and still the cognitive dissonance prevails. Graham fucking Brady telling the great unwashed they've been too keen to stay indoors, having been told to do just that by the party of law and order. As long as a medium sized business owner in Sale can take home 70k, who gives a fuck if 1000s of olds and underpaid workers die. They don't spend money on Altrincham high street anyway. Filth.

jobotic

GMTV

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 07, 2020, 09:33:06 AM
You can prove anything with facts, kinda thing. Yeah.

I just spoke to a manager who said 'they never promised to reduce the numbers to NZ levels, just to keep them below NHS capacity'. Fair fucks. That's actually true.

Met some arbitrary target on testing by shifting the goalposts, Nightingale hospitals built but not needed, job done.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on May 07, 2020, 09:01:12 AM
When I went to the park yesterday it was very full and lots of groups of people were walking around and not even attempting to keep their distance from me and other people. It got on my tits quite a bit, but I didn't kick off or owt because I am consciously trying to not become the moody curtain twitching old man I hated when I was young.

My new neighbours are very noisy. Complain? Hell no! I'm moving house!

which park is this? Leazes? That's quite a hike through the centre of town...police informed

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 07, 2020, 09:25:19 AM
That five tests spiel was the main thing I was holding onto. How can they go back on that now? As in, I am curious what their justification will be.

"Fergus done a bumdozy"

It's too late - in the minds of the bovine, THE HERD IS FREE. My wife left me two days ago. It might be time to leave this planet.

Fambo Number Mive

The majority of the national print media want this lockdown to end so people will buy more papers. All they care about is money.

pigamus

And who cares if more people die? More people are already dying, and nobody gives much of a toss.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 07, 2020, 09:27:44 AM
Unless you have young children, has being only allowed to go out for exercise once a day been that much of an issue?

If you live in a cramped dingy flat, share a room with a non-spouse/partner (as many teenagers and a few adults will, particularly the poorest who're most at risk of dying already), suffer from some mental health problems, or can't get any fucking peace, then it's a good thing that people are allowed to go out. You're very unlikely to catch COVID in a park, most spread seems to be close contact indoors (e.g. health workers).

Of course there are worries that this will lead to people taking less care generally, and most people seem to have no idea how far 2 m is and think it's ok to stand in the middle of a narrow pavement playing with their phone, and some places like central London you can't everybody go to a park and be 2 metres apart. But allowing socially distanced outdoor time is a low-risk thing for most people.

popcorn

It doesn't sound like the restrictions are going to be massively eased at all though...? Unlimited rambles?

Abnormal Palm

Anyone else reading that there's going to be an enforced conga for 70m people on Monday morning at 11am? Starts at Pall Mall and ends up in the molten core of the Earth?

Butchers Blind

finnquark

Pleasingly glib: But of course part of the reason people of BAME heritage are more likely to die from coronavirus is because of other factors, including health, relative deprivation or where they live.

But don't worry! The ONS has adjusted the death figures to take account of this.

Barry Admin

Quote from: popcorn on May 07, 2020, 10:32:25 AM
It doesn't sound like the restrictions are going to be massively eased at all though...? Unlimited rambles?

Pub gardens opening as well; get people's inhibitions nice and low. As Fambo says, this is going to make folks more wreckless  and how could it not lead to a huge upsurge in transmission?

I was reading about how De Blasio has already been talking about holding a ticker tape parade after this all blows over, and how that echoes a parade held to boost morale and celebrate government bonds - this parade took place while the Spanish Flu was already circulating, and led to masses of deaths.

People are gonna get shit-faced and fight and fuck and die.

jobotic

i thought i read that they weren;t allowing pub garden etc to open? It's The Sun trying entice its readers.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 07, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
People are gonna get shit-faced and fight and fuck and die.

That's all very well, but what's the downside?

Barry Admin

:-D

Quote from: jobotic on May 07, 2020, 11:12:18 AM
i thought i read that they weren;t allowing pub garden etc to open? It's The Sun trying entice its readers.

Right enough, their front page is the only place I've seen that. I just looked at The Guardian and it says:

QuoteScientific evidence suggesting transmission of the virus is less likely in open spaces has led ministers to focus on allowing more outdoor activities. However, pub beer gardens and coffee shops with outdoor seating are likely to remain closed, as are most shops, amid fears that it would be difficult for them to enforce social distancing.

I'm sure people will be out drinking in parks and stuff again, and pub gardens are surely not far away.

idunnosomename

How do people get the drinks from the pub for fucks sake. Also some "gardens" are really just for having a fag in and theyre very small. Its just nonsense

Thomas

imitationleather

Funcrusher

So the Bank of England comes out today in particular with a statement about how dire the financial threat of recession is. Leading headline on BBC. Shit yourself about becoming destitute and get back to work proles.

idunnosomename

Quote from: imitationleather on May 07, 2020, 11:54:41 AM
I keep seeing people sat in pub gardens having cans.
nature is returning. Beautiful

(Can confirm)

Cuellar

Seen photos from London of people getting takeaway pints from pubs.

One wasn't even doing takeaway, they full on opened (some time last week). Friend of mine managed to get two pints down him before the fuzz turned up and told everyone to fuck off and had words with the owners.

jobotic

My local does takeaways. Not sure how it works. Think you pay in advance online then go to the door to collect them.

Seeing as I don't drink fine ales I haven't bothered. Not ordering four pints of Kronenberg. Feel a bit uncomfortable with it really but if they give you a time to collect it its probably safer than going to a shop. And I really really want the pub to still be there when it actually is safe to go again.

Fambo Number Mive

BBC story on Pakistan lifting its lockdown titled "Pakistan to defy curve and lift lockdown". Defying the curve. Interesting choice of language.

Dewt

I wish this situation would have shown people the power they can have if they withhold their labour

but no it did not

Dewt