Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last of Us 2 (Coming June 19th)

Started by Sin Agog, May 06, 2020, 11:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 02, 2021, 02:23:12 PM
I just finished playing this - overall I enjoyed it but I think they messed up the sequence of the story telling, it would have had far more weight had Ellie not known who killed Joel initially then, lezza kiss bit, Joel and Ellie accepting each other's role in their life, Abby kills Joel, only Joel's brother witnesses it but Ellie finds the body and it messes her up

3 years later Ellie has moved on in the farm cutscene, Joel's brother turns up to say he has found Abby and has the photographs of the friends who helped kill Joel - switch to abbys story until she is captured - switch to Ellie's story, culminating in her letting Abby go, but losing her new family and fingers so can't play Joel's song

Weighty

I think the story works so well because of Joel and Ellie's relationship is when he's killed. What Abby took away was Ellie's chance to forgive him properly.

AngryGazelle

Played a few encounters recently as I acquired a PS5. The bump to 60fps is amazing, the game looks and more importantly, plays better -- less input lag and smoother aiming.

Wish I saved my Grounded run for the PS5 now. I'll complete it again at some point but I've already spent between 70 and 80 hours with this one; over two playthroughs and a load of encounter selects.

Josef K

Glad I held off on playing this until the PS5 version.

Paced myself playing this and spent a lot of time exploring, but still got through it in 4 or 5 days, just an meticulously crafted experience that I can already tell is going to ruin other third-person games for me for the foreseeable future.

Feel genuinely sad not to be spending more time with the characters.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Josef K on August 04, 2021, 01:45:28 PM
Glad I held off on playing this until the PS5 version.

Paced myself playing this and spent a lot of time exploring, but still got through it in 4 or 5 days, just an meticulously crafted experience that I can already tell is going to ruin other third-person games for me for the foreseeable future.

Feel genuinely sad not to be spending more time with the characters.

I loved it - the gameplay refinements and improvements to the ai, really make it a big step up form the first game mechanically. I really enjoyed the story too but prefer the story of the first overall, I think.

The level design is just near perfection, in terms of both design and art direction, and the combat is just incredibly fun to play. I played on Survivor first then Grounded, I do think the game shines on higher difficulties.

Mister Six

I don't want to read the thread in case I come across a spoiler, but was this game actually shite like a lot of people said, or was it just the usual incel fucks whining about a game starring a lesbian, or featuring women they don't want to fuck?

I quite liked the original, even if it was quite repetitive and basic.

C_Larence

The latter. The game is fantastic, well worth your time.

popcorn

AngryGazelle

It's fucking great. Story does have some pacing issues but if you're spoiler-free you're in for one hell of a ride.

The gameplay is top notch, and if you can manage them, I definitely recommend the higher difficulty settings.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on August 12, 2023, 11:37:24 PMI don't want to read the thread in case I come across a spoiler, but was this game actually shite like a lot of people said, or was it just the usual incel fucks whining about a game starring a lesbian, or featuring women they don't want to fuck?

i found it really rather tedious and dropped it. I liked the first game well enough but the sequel felt to me like it was huffing its own farts. the characters' "banter" never goes beyond the level of "okay, i guess THAT'S a thing now" MCU stuff.

it's really good when it lets you off the leash and actually play it, but that happened all too rarely in the hours I spent on it.

others obviously will disagree, but bear in mind it's a slow, slow game. and glitchier than you would expect, too...

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on August 13, 2023, 06:35:02 PMglitchier than you would expect, too...

I did the whole Seattle chapter without Dina, because she teleported out of the level at some point and never came back. This didn't stop her delivering her dialogue and magically reappearing for cut scenes and scripted "hey help me move this heavy object" interactions, though.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on August 12, 2023, 11:37:24 PMI don't want to read the thread in case I come across a spoiler, but was this game actually shite like a lot of people said, or was it just the usual incel fucks whining about a game starring a lesbian, or featuring women they don't want to fuck?

A lot of the complaining was the incel fucks, with stupid complaints, but the existence of them was also used to bat away and dismiss any and all other criticism.

popcorn

It really is worth giving a go though. It isn't successful in everything it does, but it has a lot of very bold, memorable stuff.

Mister Six

Cheers, I'll probably give it a crack down the line, then. As a fan of the Yakuza games I have quite a high tolerance for excessively long cutscenes.

Mobius

I loved the gameplay, graphics, atmosphere.. it was very well made, fun and satisfying to play. Except for all the bits where another character just tells you what to do "go and get that ladder!" "there's a thingy we need over there" shut the fuck up I just walked into this room 2 SECONDS AGO let me have a look around.

But the long cutscenes and story were boring. Most of the characters are dull, and the way the story is told (jumping back and forth, switching between groups) is annoying. I just hate games that try to be bloody movies or telly shows. Let me play the game!

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Mister Six on August 13, 2023, 08:38:56 PMCheers, I'll probably give it a crack down the line, then. As a fan of the Yakuza games I have quite a high tolerance for excessively long cutscenes.

Apparently there is going to be a remaster. Might as well wait for that!

Mister Six

I'll hold off until I get a PS5 next year in any case. Maybe a PS5 Pro, if they're doing one of those - lots of rumours that something will be announced next year.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Remaster of a 3 year old game. Fucks sake.

madhair60

madhair60

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 17, 2023, 04:52:57 PMRemaster of a 3 year old game. Fucks sake.

@Elderly Sumo Prophecy I guess it's partly due to them bringing it to PC. Might as well make the PS5 version better whilst they're at it. If it's £70 they can fuck right off, though.

@madhair60 I may be a stupid cunt but TLOU2 is GOAT material - definitely not shite.

madhair60

each to their own my fine friend. each to their own

popcorn

madhair60

available now on Limited Run Games and soon Amazon.com (tm) (r)

Thursday

Apart from the abhorrently bad story, Last of Us 2 is alright I reckon. If it wasn't for the long stretches where you walk through cut-scenes it'd be a solid 6/10.

AngryGazelle

I liked the story. I thought it was bold and it affected me emotionally too.

I love the characters and the universe so much, though that my tolerance for the stories flaws -- pacing issues, ham-fistedness at times -- is higher than average.

The gameplay is where the game truly shines for me. I can't think of many TPS that play better and the encounter design here is second to none.

So yeah, this game just lands right with me.