Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last of Us 2 (Coming June 19th)

Started by Sin Agog, May 06, 2020, 11:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Time-to-dog-death; dog name; did it make you think?

Sheffield Wednesday

Sorry that you cannot relate to human or canine emotion 😰😰😰

Zetetic

Bet you've already forgotten what he was called.

Sheffield Wednesday

Queued at ASDA and they didn't have it.  Amazon is saying bot in stock till 24th.  Where's best place to get it online?

Edit ...  bought it

Sheffield Wednesday

Maybe ShopTo?

___

It's everything I normally find boring in games, but because that stuff is done so well, it's amazing.

Melee might also be the most brutal melee I've played. It's like the Bloodborne Kirkhammer but more realistic and brutal.

Bazooka

I got it at GAME and it came with a nylon shopping bag, keyring and two badges lolrandom.

popcorn

Yeh it's good. Two hours in and it's just a really polished, engrossing piece of work. Surprisingly similar to the first one so far - doesn't open with Ellie eating eyeballs and weeping or anything, though I'm sure it gets bleaker like the first one did. Similar mood and style and gameplay, but feels like the next chapter in a really good story, confidently told. I'm enjoying it.

popcorn

It is making me slightly sad again that Naughty Dog environments are so uninteractive. They have this incredibly rich world to explore but you still just go around pressing triangle to open a drawer and pick up a handgun round. The more intricate and detailed the environments get, the more disappointing it is that you can't do anything with them at all. Really must find a way to play HL Alyx after this.

AsparagusTrevor

I've sunk about 5 hours into this so far. This is the peak of graphical quality, everything beyond this is just polish. Some shots are perfectly cinematic.

I'm past what I assume is the main driving force of the story and although it feels slightly less focused, probably due to the slightly open world, I'm certainly caught up in it again and enjoying it despite it being very bleak.

Bazooka

It did not say anything about blazing then scissoring on the box.

Sheffield Wednesday

RDR2 elevated dialogue and storytelling in games to a new level, despite its mechanical issues and rusty structural restrictions. Ultimately, it was the best story I've ever experienced in a game, the main characters and performances were peerless.

This makes it look hokey.

Graphically, I can't even imagine what this will be like on PS5 but this is the game changer of the generation. It makes Uncharted 4 look like Uncharted 3.

TrenterPercenter

Not reading through any comments as I don't want any chance of spoilers as only a bit of a way into it; but for those thinking about it, just do it, it is incredible.

Ignore the following people:

People that have a problem with "who" they play as, you know the kindof whiny saddos that insist on being a man or simple can't get imersed unless they can give themselves a ponytail.

Any person that says something along the lines of "the forcefed political message ruined it for me" again fucking whiny weirdos moaning about a story written by people the way they want to tell it and not formed through consultation with resentful bedroom dwelling MRA types.

People saying there isn't much game just a loads of graphics.  It is a vast improvement on the LOU but even that had lots of "gaming" in it that. The gameplay is brilliant, its just can't be every game you've ever played or style you like.  The action is gritty, visercal and realistic, it's also challenging and has variety to it.

It is an incredible acheivement in gaming, no it isn't Bloodborne, it's LOU 2 a game with a narrative worthy of a hollywood blockbuster mapped onto a seriously well considered survival game. It's brilliant and my early suspicions are that it will be, alongwith Bloodborne, the defining game of the PS4 generation.

I can't fathom some of the drek i've read about the game from some people, it is so removed from the experience of playing it.  A sensational achievement in gaming and in art itself and should be recognised as such.

Sheffield Wednesday

I make a habit of not reading anything anyone says about games. Very healthy approach.

Thursday

The next step is to not even play games and become a truly evolved person.

Sheffield Wednesday

There only way to achieve that for most people is to read an WHOLLY NEGATIVE blog and finally break the habit of.

popcorn

Game wins MEGA points from me for being the first game ever to have dialogue subtitles AT A NORMAL FUCKING SIZE

Tiny tiny screen text came in with the HD era - Xbox 360 - and it has been fucking me off ever since. Imagine if films used subtitle text at that size. Devs seem to assume everyone plays console games at a desk with the monitor 30cm from your face.

Bazooka

Naughty Dog deserves a mega blowjob for that, it's as if someone tested the game before release,if I were a game reviewer for a big publication I'd knock at least 2 points off a 10 based score total for any fucker who puts bacteria sized fonts in their games(I.e 99% of devs), also all the in game aids for players with sight issues is a great inclusion.

Sheffield Wednesday

The lighting in this is the best lighting ever in a game. I can actually feel the temperature of the room because of how vivid and evocative the light is. Some of the interior spaces are utterly magnificent with different hues coming from different windows and sources depending on what's on the other side, how dirty they are, whether they're damaged. It's all incredibly subtle and naturalistic. This is the best looking game ever made.

AsparagusTrevor

About 15 hours in and I'm enjoying the game so far, but the fucking dogs are ruining the stealth combat for me. They just totally destroy any of the fun sneaking mechanics of the first game. First time I saw a dog I felt bad to have to kill it. After about the third or forth I was happy chucking molotovs at the fuckers.

Sheffield Wednesday

The sound of hitting a dog with a wrench is the peak of audio design.

It is fucking nasty.

Zetetic

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 21, 2020, 03:36:42 PM
First time I saw a dog I felt bad to have to kill it.
Violence is regrettable and painful for both subject and object,

After about the third or forth I was happy chucking molotovs at the fuckers.
but also necessary and fairly satisfying.

Ludonarrative synergy.

Bazooka

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 21, 2020, 03:36:42 PM
About 15 hours in and I'm enjoying the game so far, but the fucking dogs are ruining the stealth combat for me. They just totally destroy any of the fun sneaking mechanics of the first game. First time I saw a dog I felt bad to have to kill it. After about the third or forth I was happy chucking molotovs at the fuckers.

I don't mind so much, but it seems like a roll of a dice as to whether a melee attack will register on them, I've been using up my silencer on them.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

From what I've seen of it, it just seems so relentlessly depressing that I don't imagine playing it will be much fun. At least the previous game had some moments of levity to break up the grimness, like giraffes. Still, I'll buy it in six months when it's 15 quid at CEX and everything's been patched and all the dlc is out.

popcorn

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 21, 2020, 04:19:46 PM
From what I've seen of it, it just seems so relentlessly depressing that I don't imagine playing it will be much fun. At least the previous game had some moments of levity to break up the grimness, like giraffes.

I'm three hours in. It's certainly grim but it still has those moments of levity. Ellie is still a chipper gee-whiz sort of lass.

Got to my first bit of combat against humans. Really intense. I'm on hard mode and this is the first time it's actually been hard. The game is good!

Sheffield Wednesday

ESP

It's very heavy, but I'd say it's actually warmer than the original. I've smiled a lot, laughed several times and cried a couple of times at beautiful stuff.

The combat is absolutely brutal and it's probably the most violent game I've ever seen but it is seriously exciting. I can't remember the last game I played which was as intense as this but it's really fantastically balanced. The pacing always feels dynamic. Different scenarios, enemies, environments, approaches. It's sensational. Don't sleep on this GOAT.

Thursday

I'm thinking wait until it's cheap and all the hot takes have died down.

Or I see the right person say "nah it's shit" and I'll smugly dismiss it forever.

Sheffield Wednesday

I totally get that. I've completely circumvented the chat around it because I literally don't care what a massive assortment of wankers think about it. I'm just saying...

Whatever you do, don't miss out.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Thursday on June 21, 2020, 07:03:22 PM
I'm thinking wait until it's cheap and all the hot takes have died down.

Or I see the right person say "nah it's shit" and I'll smugly dismiss it forever.

nah it's shit

rue the polywhirl

I think I'll wait for this game till it comes out on the Switch :]

Could someone indeed make this game for the switch? I'm actually quite keen to play it.