Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Last of Us 2 (Coming June 19th)

Started by Sin Agog, May 06, 2020, 11:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheffield Wednesday

My advice would be to get a cheap second hand PS4 after the PS5 comes out, play it on that and then sell it on. It's never coming out on a non-PlayStation system.

Bently Sheds

I just got to the bit where
Spoiler alert
Ellie plays Take On Me
[close]
on a
Spoiler alert
guitar
[close]

Mate.

Kelvin

Sheffield Wednesday

I just played for an hour and had three of the best combat encounters I've ever experienced in a game. It may well be a little combat heavy on balance but when it's this good...There was a survival horror section better than anything I've played in the RE2 Remake, there was a tight stealthy section on par with MGSV and then there was a full on molotov and shotgun guerrilla fuckfest to rival anything I've played in years.

I really loved FF7R and it'll be somewhere up there in my GOTY but this is on another level. Even disregarding the amazing cinematic elements, this is one of the best games I've ever played. I mean, this is a massive call but fuck it...In terms of pure tension and catharsis, this is as good as Bloodborne.

wooders1978

My brother bought it so I'm going to get to play it foc

Sheffield Wednesday

I just headbutt a dog so hard we both scream

popcorn

bloody hell this game is intense. I won't sleep.

popcorn

Somehow when you think you're going to die you actually feel like you're going to die.

Bazooka

Completed. I was going to say game of the year 75% in, then the last slog section happened , but the rest makes up for it, it still is the game of the year without a doubt, and one of he best games of this gen. I had issues with TLOU 1, the combat didn't have enough variation to carry the endless here comes a barricade stealth section, and the shooting hitboxes were off like in Uncharted 1-3, but the story carried it, yet the story was far too long due to the gameplay being average.

TLOU 2, though whilst not a huge leap in mechanics, and still full of the same stealth, it was all much tighter, new upgrades and interesting scenarios made me not bored. Hit boxes are still a little dodgy, and despite Dina standing on trip mines so I couldn't see them, my deaths were all fair. I couldn't play the first game again after this, unless I wanted to speed run it for some reason. I didn't enjoy the ending because the last section is overly long just to see it pan out exactly as expected, there were enough narrative turns throughout to not justify the last hour. But on the whole it was excellent, the graphics are stunning, it's brutal and depressing, but again certain deaths were kind of wasted in terms of impact or just too obvious, I'm probably desensitized. I did really like Ellie in this, I liked her in 1 with all the banter (都which considering the medium), and her face is excellent once you unlock faster stealth kills and bleed hundreds of enemies.

It kept me playing continuously, which is incredibly rare these days, I usually take a break and never return or keep jumping in and out,but this was a brilliant game, credit where credit is due, again though Naughty Dog stop fucking up with the last segments, quality over quantity.

Bazooka

I might be alone in this, but I found Dina's face really uncomfortable to look at in some scenes, I've seen videos of the likeness actress/model and she isn't unpleasant to look at, but something about the character face animations was unsettling.

Anyway I look forward to hearing what you guys thought of the story.

I missed one fucking safe in the whole game, but not sure I feel like going for it just for a trophy,despite there being chapter select.

Chedney Honks

I more or less see this game as training for 2021.

I just wish I knew how to make a health kit out of an old flannel and some Fairy liquid. If the council don't have money to cut the grass, that will probably help with getting around stealthily. I'm really frightened.

popcorn

Quote from: Bazooka on June 24, 2020, 12:50:06 AM
I did really like Ellie in this, I liked her in 1 with all the banter (都which considering the medium), and her face is excellent once you unlock faster stealth kills and bleed hundreds of enemies.

Can you offer any help with this sentence?

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on June 24, 2020, 03:04:22 AM
Can you offer any help with this sentence?

My Chinese phone has more control over what I type than I do, bow to Huawei.  Was trying to write I really like Ellie, and when you upgrade to faster stealth kills she has a great facial expression when you open enemies up.

popcorn

Blimey so she becomes more SAVAGE-FACED the more lethal you make her? I better start popping pills.

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on June 24, 2020, 12:21:18 PM
Blimey so she becomes more SAVAGE-FACED the more lethal you make her? I better start popping pills.

Exactly! By the end Ellie is as ruthless as Quake or Doom guy, probably harder as she just wears normal comfortable clothes.

popcorn

popcorn

This game has the sneakiest jump scare I can think of in anything.

Spoiler alert
The bit where you start using a workbench and a soldier grabs you, holy cow, ingenious
[close]

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: popcorn on June 24, 2020, 10:58:07 PM
This game has the sneakiest jump scare I can think of in anything.

Spoiler alert
The bit where you start using a workbench and a soldier grabs you, holy cow, ingenious
[close]
Yep it's pretty ingenious
Spoiler alert
because workbenches are usually a safe haven it makes you believe from then on you aren't actually safe anywhere.
[close]

I haven't finished yet, been playing a couple of hours after work each evening, but I'm a few hours into the apparently controversial
Spoiler alert
Abby
[close]
section. I've just
Spoiler alert
left the two Scars who Abby teamed up with and went on my merry way to find Owen.
[close]

Also, reading some of the articles and comments on the internet regarding this game has reiterated my intense hatred for the gaming community, and social media as a whole. There's some fucking nasty keyboard warriors out there.

Bazooka

I actually avoided reading any of the spoilers, and especially the opinions of those slugs you are talking about.

Timothy

Been playing it for around 15 hours and loving it. GOTY so far. The combat is great, the story is really interesting, the AI is fantastic (especially on hard) and the graphics are phenomenal.
Didn't even really like TLOU remastered so much but this is great.

That bit in
Spoiler alert
the museum
[close]
was SO GOOD

Zetetic

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 25, 2020, 08:40:05 AM
Also, reading some of the articles and comments on the internet regarding this game has reiterated my intense hatred for the gaming community, and social media as a whole. There's some fucking nasty keyboard warriors out there.
Which has the neat side effect of setting aside any discussion about how its expressed position on violence is ultimately indistinguishable from a Call of Duty, however sad Ellie gets.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bazooka on June 25, 2020, 08:46:28 AMI actually avoided reading any of the spoilers, and especially the opinions of those slugs you are talking about.

I suggest keeping it that way. I've never gone looking for spoilers and I've actually still managed to stay pretty spoiler-free during my playthrough, but even seemingly innocuous articles tend to give way into the vicious rantings of far-right neckbeards who are pissed off the story isn't Joel Wick and has the audacity to feature...gasp!...non-heterosexual characters.

popcorn

It's not possible to stealth-kill dogs, right? I managed to sneak up behind one (I think it was mourning his dead master or something, arooooo, whyyyyy, war is hell) but didn't get any button prompts. I want to wring their mangy necks.

AsparagusTrevor

I don't think it's possible, no. I found the best way to kill dogs is to lob a brick at them then stab the fuck out of their stupid furry bastard bodies. No idea how best to kill them in the game though.

Bazooka

You can melee them straight up but the window of opportunity to do so is tiny compared to humanoids, but yeah I don't think stealth is possible, like I said earlier I just got close and used the silencer for a head shot.

popcorn

I think the scent-tracking thing is a really good system. Very MGS.

popcorn

Something else I'll credit the game for is that its systems and menus are intricate but easy to understand. They don't require button-pressing through pages of boring tutorial screens. There are tutorial prompts but they're used sparingly and gracefully. You have to go into menus to craft and upgrade stuff but it's all presented in a clean and intuitive way that makes decision-making fun. All a world of difference from the last (impenetrable) games I played, God of War and Doom Eternal.

Unfortunately though Naughty Dog don't know how to use hyphens properly so I eBayed the game after the first chapter

Timothy

Finished it. Good game.

Story spoilers:

Spoiler alert
Think the game should have finished at the farm. Good ending. The whole last two hours was completely unnecessary imo and spoiled it a bit. Also quite disappointed that they didn't do much with Ellie being immune.
[close]

Bazooka

Quote from: Timothy on June 25, 2020, 05:40:33 PM
Finished it. Good game.

Story spoilers:

Spoiler alert
Think the game should have finished at the farm. Good ending. The whole last two hours was completely unnecessary imo and spoiled it a bit. Also quite disappointed that they didn't do much with Ellie being immune.
[close]

Agreed, and I assume you called what the outcome would be like every player surely is going to.