Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why the fuck does Japan only have 500 confirmed covid deaths

Started by popcorn, May 07, 2020, 11:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

I've been keeping a close eye on Japan as 1) I lived there for several years 2) I might one day live there again 3) my girlfriend is stuck there and it's in the interests of my cock that she survives.

The UK has now passed 30,000 covid deaths. Japan has 500.

Japan is 50% bigger than the UK, but has twice the population. People live, work and commute in closer proximity than Brits. They've also had no lockdown.

On the other hand, the Japanese use face masks a lot, even when not in pandemic mode. They also have less physical contact - hugs and handshakes are not part of the social language.

Still, these numbers are counter-intuitive. What's going on? Any guesses?

Jasha

Immunity from sniffing all those school girl knickers

Fambo Number Mive

A better health service and the population are in better health perhaps.

Danger Man

Government lying about the figures so as not to upset people.

Danger Man

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 07, 2020, 11:24:04 AM
A better health service and the population are in better health perhaps.

Yes, not yet a population of obese diabetics.

checkoutgirl

They eat a lot of fish and veg don't they? Obesity rate is 4% as opposed to 25% UK and 98.7% USA.

popcorn

On the one hand yes, Japanese people are on average healthier. But they're also on average much older, due to the declining birth rate. 30% of the population is over 60. You'd think they'd be a country of sitting ducks by that metric.

popcorn

Other ideas for posts: vending machines, sushi, cherry blossom, paedos, groping on trains,

checkoutgirl

I read somewhere that black folk are 4 times more likely to either catch it or die from it. Maybe it's a racial thing? I think blood type is also a factor.

dandoystevski

Quote from: popcorn on May 07, 2020, 11:35:58 AM
Other ideas for posts: vending machines, sushi, cherry blossom, paedos, groping on trains,
You're more likely to catch anthrax, amirite?

imitationleather

Nevermind that. How did that nuclear reactor blow up and cause no lasting damage whatsoever?!

Quote from: Danger Man on May 07, 2020, 11:27:12 AM
Government lying about the figures so as not to upset people.

Oh.

steveh

Japan had experience with SARS and like Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan had a track / trace / isolate system ready to go as soon as outbreaks started. Also read that on average each person gets through 43 masks per year so people started using them early stopping asymptomatic spread.

While getting older leaves you with a less strong immune system, obesity seems to be more of an indicator of more severe symptoms than age.

MojoJojo

They're basically not testing anyone. They've only performed 153,581 and they've only been testing people who have pneumonia.

PlanktonSideburns

Dex Sawash

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 07, 2020, 11:37:59 AM
I read somewhere that black folk are 4 times more likely to either catch it or die from it. Maybe it's a racial thing? I think blood type is also a factor.
is that possibly because black folk are more likely to be working low-paid yet essential jobs like retail? and are more likely to be poor and have shit health insurance? perhaps because of systemic racism?

popcorn

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 07, 2020, 12:38:19 PM
is that possibly because black folk are more likely to be working low-paid yet essential jobs like retail? and are more likely to be poor and have shit health insurance? perhaps because of systemic racism?

According to a new report, that's part of it but some of it really is genetic too?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/black-people-four-times-more-likely-to-die-from-covid-19-ons-finds

QuoteThe Office of National Statistics found that the difference in the virus's impact was not only caused by pre-existing differences in communities' wealth, health, education and living arrangements.

It discovered that after taking into account age, measures of self-reported health and disability and other socio-demographic characteristics, black people were still almost twice as likely as white people to die a Covid-19-related death.

Zetetic

ONS link:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/coronavirusrelateddeathsbyethnicgroupenglandandwales/2march2020to10april2020

Still lots of limitations to the data used to adjust risk.

Also worth noting the ongoing difference by sex, with men accounting for more deaths than might otherwise be expected (but again this could be behaviour-related which in turn depends on circumstances).

Bazooka

Men are more likely to smoke and drink more thus creating more underlying health issues, and have a chromosone or lack of in the chromosome makeup that makes it easier for the virus to take hold than in women.

imitationleather

Has Pinball been in yet to say it's more evidence that men are the true oppressed people in society?

Spiteface

Quote from: popcorn on May 07, 2020, 11:22:52 AM
I've been keeping a close eye on Japan as 1) I lived there for several years 2) I might one day live there again 3) my girlfriend is stuck there and it's in the interests of my cock that she survives.

The UK has now passed 30,000 covid deaths. Japan has 500.

Japan is 50% bigger than the UK, but has twice the population. People live, work and commute in closer proximity than Brits. They've also had no lockdown.

On the other hand, the Japanese use face masks a lot, even when not in pandemic mode. They also have less physical contact - hugs and handshakes are not part of the social language.

Still, these numbers are counter-intuitive. What's going on? Any guesses?
Maid cafes?

But seriously, I was a bit surprised when I went over there back in March (timing wasn't the best but I needed a sodding holiday by the time it came round). I expected more places to be shut. The only thing we were supposed to go to and didn't was the museum in Hiroshima. The park was open and we talked to a survivor and a local historian about the WW2 history, but apart from bottles of hand sanitisers in hotels and the like, felt like things were normal, maybe a few more face masks.

I managed to get home just in time, as lockdown was just coming in.

I am keeping an eye on it myself as I really want to go there again, but doing things in my own time that I didn't get chance to this year.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: popcorn on May 07, 2020, 12:48:50 PM
According to a new report, that's part of it but some of it really is genetic too?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/black-people-four-times-more-likely-to-die-from-covid-19-ons-finds

"When are people gonna admit, you lot are just better at catching the virus!!"

"YOU LOT?"

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 07, 2020, 12:38:19 PM

Nah it's just because they're black.

Puce Moment

My brother is moving from Singapore to central Tokyo as soon as their lockdown ends. It's up there as one of the places I would most like to visit, but I imagine they will keep crackers like me out for some time to control infection.