Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Solar Opposites (Justin Roiland's New Hulu Show)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 08, 2020, 03:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

So there's this super smart type (voiced by Justin Roiland) who's created all kinds of amazing tech, but he's also a bit of a sociopath as well and doesn't give a fuck about anyone, well, bar maybe his family. He's also easily obsessed about daft things, which leads to much bloodshed and all round idiocy in this latest American animated series.

Snarkyness aside while this latest Roiland effort definitely has a lot in common with Rick and Morty it's just about enough it's own thing to avoid being a vague copy. For one thing all the main characters are aliens, and the two kids have a pretty casual disdain for humanity too, at least those who bully them or cause them any trouble, and the end game appears to be the end of humanity and the world being transformed in to their old now destroyed home.

I've only seen the first episode but I liked it a lot, it's slightly lacking in depth but this was only the pilot so that might come over time, and hey, maybe depth's overrated too.

Alberon

I've only seen the first episode too and it does feel a bit familiar, not just to Rick and Morty - the Pupa is like an alien Maggie out of the Simpsons.

I'm a little surprised the two adults are male as it seems to leave women underrepresented. Also, a female Korvo might have been more interesting without significantly changing the basic character.

It's unfair to judge on just one episode and I've read it becomes more serialised as time goes on, but I'm certainly looking forward to watching more of it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Alberon on May 08, 2020, 06:53:34 PM
I've only seen the first episode too and it does feel a bit familiar, not just to Rick and Morty - the Pupa is like an alien Maggie out of the Simpsons.

I'm a little surprised the two adults are male as it seems to leave women underrepresented. Also, a female Korvo might have been more interesting without significantly changing the basic character.

It's unfair to judge on just one episode and I've read it becomes more serialised as time goes on, but I'm certainly looking forward to watching more of it.

That's a good point about the Pupa being like Maggie, and in the second episode the other two kids aren't a million miles away from Bart and Lisa. Okay, it's a lot more extreme, but it doesn't feel that original and that's becoming more and more of a problem even if it does make me laugh a fair few times and there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Consider this was originally considered for FOX and it might help explain it's stronger similarities.

Alberon

Yeah, it does feel like it was pitched as a more mainstream show. Maybe it'll get more of its own voice if it has a second season?

Moribunderast

I'm 5 episodes in and think the show improves pretty steadily. It does come off like a weird mix of The Simpsons and Rick and Morty but I've found myself laughing more as the episodes tick by. There is some serialisation that kicks into gear in a funny way and some bit-characters that are quite funny. It's not up to the standard of Rick and Morty but I'm definitely happy Solar Opposites is a thing because it is entertaining in it's own right.

sambwel

Just finished the season and my final impression is quite positive. Nothing to set the world on fire but it easily surpassed my middling expectations. I agree with the previous poster, it grew on me and I enjoyed it more as it went on, particularly the serialised elements, which peak in the penultimate episode in quite a satisfying way. It still suffers from being so aesthetically similar to R&M (in a way it might not so much if they weren't both sci fi) and from the grumpy smart alien sounding a little too much like Rick. But the differences became more apparent over the course of the season and a continued divergence in writing style could give this show legs.

Alberon

This has, unsurprisingly due to the viewing figures, just been renewed for a second and a third season.

No idea when it will return, I suppose that will mainly depend on the budget. As has pointed out in the past with animation (and a lot of things in general) you get to pick only two out of the three of cheap, quick, good.

Small Man Big Horse

I think this definitely suffered from being on at the same time as Rick and Morty, once the latter had ended I found myself looking forward to new episodes more. That said I definitely preferred the antics of Tim and co in the wall, and the last episode was a big disappointment, the time travel stuff felt bland and
Spoiler alert
the holodeck
[close]
ending was just rubbish. Ah well, hopefully it'll up it's game in the next series, and try and be a bit more distinctive and original.