Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Really? By who.....Some Bin men" - Best League Moments.

Started by Fr.Bigley, May 08, 2020, 05:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 08, 2020, 08:27:22 PM
I honestly believe that Geoff is one of the greatest comedy characters of all time, so pretty much everything he ever said was gold.

"Cherries are only really small, though, aren't they?!"

One of my favourite lines that rattles around in my head all the time and yet I have ways misremembered it.

I like the bickering couple. Think they are underappreciated. This is a paraphrase but:

"I could show you some things Tony"
"Yeah. They'd make ya sick"

And all through this pandemic I've been thinking of Bernice's news update from the Local health authority about the latest flu that "makes the ebola virus look like hay-fever. So the advice is 'get your bobble hats on'".

Peru

petril

"no, what is the feeeeeeeeeeem of the film"
*hums the music*

kalowski

And he will give strength to legs that are weak and arms that tremble. The crippled will throw down their crutches and leap up and down in praise of his grace. Huh. Doesn't say they need five car parking spaces outside Safeways now does it?

smudge1971

"is that someone?"
The midget shopkeeper in the radio series.

"ohhhh, she's big, she's a big un, but she's a good un"

Again, it's Shearsmith's delivery. They all have great phrasing, but he's the best. As seen on them Car Share out-takes. Tries something new every take and gets some proper gold.

franticplanet

Geoff's tactical 'sneaking' walk in the 2017 specials.

I tried to find it on Youtube, but came across this instead, which really made me laugh. It's the Joker trailer, but with Geoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WuIJp0HT5c

Fr.Bigley

"excuse me, would this kill a fat woman tonight?"

Gets me every single time.

Illuminate

"I enjoy the News Huddlines"

"You'd do well to cry, Barry Baggs"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Illuminate on May 10, 2020, 02:31:08 PM
"I enjoy the News Huddlines"

Gatiss' delivery of the line after that is brilliant: "Well whoopee shit."

Marner and Me

'elmet

Ross ya bastard (I did work experience in Tescos and the bloke I was working under was called Ross) Having that quote in my head whilst sitting in a room watching the induction video of a CCTV clip of an old woman slipping on a grape with another immature lad was great. So hard to stifle that laughter.

franticplanet

Quote from: Marner and Me on May 14, 2020, 11:43:49 PM
'elmet

Ross ya bastard (I did work experience in Tescos and the bloke I was working under was called Ross) Having that quote in my head whilst sitting in a room watching the induction video of a CCTV clip of an old woman slipping on a grape with another immature lad was great. So hard to stifle that laughter.

Semi-related, but I was thrown out of an induction once for becoming hysterical during a very serious training video when the words HORSEPLAY came on the screen, before a 'no' symbol quite earnestly smashed down over it.

The whole Judee Levinson/Iris showdown:
"Foreign Holidiyyyys?!!  You check in at the Royston Vasey Stakis for a fortnight!"
"Mr Eddie Levinson; king of the carpet warehouses..  Bought up one de-sanctified church too many, didn't he?!"   

alan nagsworth

Quote from: PlasticTom on May 09, 2020, 12:13:13 AM
"Has she got a lawyer? She better haven't had! The amusing epilogue in the story is that the woman later miscarried. Chalk it up".

It's "She better have've had", isn't it?

Charlie and Stella are two of the best characters in it, I think. I do love all the grotesqueness of the show but their tragic relationship is just fucking excellent bleakness. It is a shame they felt the need to end some of their scenes with cheery daft punchlines, like "I thought he said his name was Luigi!" which completely diffused the horrible tension, as the scenes would have been far better without them, but for the most part it is just wonderfully grim.

The Trivial Pursuit scene is probably my favourite, with all the bickering, and Tony stuck as the unfortunate third wheel. Pemberton's ludicrously OTT delivery of "ALRIGHT STELLA YOU STUPID TWAT" is jaw-dropping. Horrible and hilarious in equal measure.

bgmnts

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 15, 2020, 02:01:20 PM
The Trivial Pursuit scene is probably my favourite, with all the bickering, and Tony stuck as the unfortunate third wheel. Pemberton's ludicrously OTT delivery of "ALRIGHT STELLA YOU STUPID TWAT" is jaw-dropping. Horrible and hilarious in equal measure.

Yeah this is a top 5 moment.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 10, 2020, 01:09:49 PM
"excuse me, would this kill a fat woman tonight?"

Gets me every single time.

It's a great line. It's almost a shame it's in there because one of my favourite things about Geoff is that he'd only ever previously criticised Cheryl for looking "old" rather than bringing up her weight.

checkoutgirl

Picture the scene, you arrive home early to find your wife Linda in bed with another man. Only it's not actually man. It's a big fat lezza smoking *my* pipe and wearing my slippers! Don't touch me, you poof! Anyway, what was I saying? Tolerance is an important issue...

checkoutgirl

I only nipped in for five minutes to get a bottle of taboo! I come out and the bugger's clamped. I said to the man, would it have made a difference if I had a stick and a limp? Ramps outside libraries, AND THEIR TOILETS ARE MASSIVE!!!

Captain Z

Turn it off, mum, I don't want to watch it!

Another one for the daily internal monologue thread, that.

QuotePemberton's ludicrously OTT delivery of "ALRIGHT STELLA YOU STUPID TWAT" is jaw-dropping. Horrible and hilarious in equal measure.
Agreed, that's an outstanding moment.  I was watching the DVD commentary recently and apparently they wanted Charlie to say "cunt" rather than "twat" but couldn't get the go-ahead from the BBC.  I think "twat" somehow works better though..

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on May 15, 2020, 03:22:57 PM
Agreed, that's an outstanding moment.  I was watching the DVD commentary recently and apparently they wanted Charlie to say "cunt" rather than "twat" but couldn't get the go-ahead from the BBC.  I think "twat" somehow works better though..

It's beautiful, I think that was a better choice as the staccato emphasis on the "a" just sounds better when vexed.

checkoutgirl

Look Lance, there's an old saying, once the shit's been shat...

Captain Z

I nearly started a thread about it but in my experience, the opening scene to S01E01 (Benjamin reading the letter) is the most perfect introduction to a sitcom ever. An absolutely brilliant gag and a perfect setup for the world you're about to enter.

Somebody may now point out that it's not an original gag, although I can't think of anywhere else I've seen it.

Fr.Bigley

paruses

Captain Z - I agree with both your posts in this thread.

petril

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 15, 2020, 03:20:34 PM
Picture the scene, you arrive home early to find your wife Linda in bed with another man. Only it's not actually man. It's a big fat lezza smoking *my* pipe and wearing my slippers! Don't touch me, you poof! Anyway, what was I saying? Tolerance is an important issue...

the sudden snap before it with "now dykes on the other hand, are EVIL" is great, just throwing all the background bitterness out there in one shot. you immediately know there's a backstory there, and you're getting it in full. right now

Clownbaby

There's something about the way Pauline says ''shit'' in one of her rants that I just love

"...Sat next to Mr Waddilove here stnkin o shit-eh''