Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:15:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck are you going to do? What's your plan?

Started by Barry Admin, May 08, 2020, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

As a follow-on from the thread about the impending end of lockdown, what the fuck are you going to do? How do you feel right now?

I have barely left the flat in weeks, just had very uncharacteristically short walks when I go out for my daily constitutional, and I really do want to get out more again and enjoy the sun. I just don't think it's worth the risk though.

People are way too blasé again already, so I'm concerned about shopping and that kind of thing.

I don't want to start using buses again. I don't want to travel. I don't want to be physically close to friends and family. I don't want to go into Asda. I don't want to touch handrails or door handles or shopping baskets. I don't want people to pass on the same side of the road as me. (Not one single person has given way btw, always me who walks off into the middle of the road.)

What about you guys with jobs to return to though? I mean, what the fuck?  This is all pretty scary, it feels like people are basically being marched to their deaths. I can't fully process the sheer callousness and disregard for human life.

earl_sleek

So fucking grateful I can work from home, and am shielding so don't have to leave the house for another month at least. I'm know I'm lucky to be in this position. i'd like to be able to say I can't believe how blase the powers that be are being about al this, but it isn't a surprise at all.

jobotic

Apart from the first week when I was off sick for a week with absolute freak out I've been working. Only a small amount of the time at work could I say I've done anything useful or key-workerish. I cycle, don't have to get the bus, so that side hasn't really changed.

I've got used to the fact that, although I want to see them so much, my folks are safe as things are as they're isolated. So what I'm going to do is freak out about them again.

All the way through this, the big terror behind everything has been knowing that we are ruled by people who don't give a shit if we live or die. Actually they'd love to see some people die, and those people will cheer them on. Johnsontown.

idunnosomename

gonna drive a bit further for a walk but thats about it

Dewt

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 08, 2020, 10:00:45 PM
I don't want to start using buses again. I don't want to travel. I don't want to be physically close to friends and family. I don't want to go into Asda. I don't want to touch handrails or door handles or shopping baskets. I don't want people to pass on the same side of the road as me. (Not one single person has given way btw, always me who walks off into the middle of the road.)
OCD recognise OCD.

I'm the same way. I don't go out. When I go downstairs to get the mail or do some minor outside errand I come back to a running bath and an open washing machine. Clothes dumped, hands scrubbed without touching anything inside the apartment. A whole routine.

People can and will tell me I'm overreacting. I will believe them. But I cannot do it another way. OCD often means min-maxing routine parts of life despite rationality.

This has turned me into the hand-washing kind of OCD too. All that was missing was the seed to plant to give me a reason to wash my hands obsessively. Now I do it ten, fifteen times a day.

I am very, very fortunate to be able to (currently) ride this out with my specific requirements.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I'm in a sensible country, so I'm not too concerned. I'll be remote working till September at the earliest, and that's assuming that all goes well and we don't have to go back to one of the previous steps. By June (fingers crossed) I will be able to take the dog to the beach, so that's the first thing I'm gonna do.

Alberon

My university just furloughed me so I'm off for three more weeks at least and maybe as much as until the end of June.

All bar, possibly, the very top three or four universities are going to each face losses in the many tens of millions (and maybe into the 100s of millions) of pounds over the next few years.

Danger Man

For healthy people under the age of 50 the chances of dying from corona are the same as dying from anything else. Very low indeed.

Even a fatso like me seems to have a 99% chance of not being killed by it, which seems good odds.

I won't be going out until the pubs reopen but if Dubai airport opens first I'm hoping to leave the UK for a long time.

If possible I'd like to be tested to see if I have already had the virus. That would makes things a lot simpler.

BlodwynPig

Ive been offered a chance to work at Uni Galway for 2 years, but its a step backward career wise.

What's the place like? Boondocks?

Alberon

The recession of the 10s is going to be nothing compared to the depression of the 20s. A safe job to ride it out seems like a good idea.

Zetetic

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2020, 10:30:33 PM
For healthy people under the age of 50 the chances of dying from corona are the same as dying from anything else. Very low indeed.
Although both go up considerably if the hospitals are full.

rack and peanut

Still working, still customer facing, still no PPE and the only department the cleaners aren't bothering with, so our cleaning is done by us in between our normal duties, when we can fit it in, because it never stopped here and it's already getting busier.

Danger Man

Quote from: Zetetic on May 08, 2020, 10:36:11 PM
Although both go up considerably if the hospitals are full.

Well yes but I thought it was worth saying because quite a few posters on here appear to be shitting themselves over something that is as likely to kill them as being struck by lightning.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In order of priority

1) Visit parents
2) See friends
3) Go pub
4) I have plenty of leave saved up so as soon as I can leave the wretched isle I'm off. A purge style detox from HM UK GOVT LTD and all its bollocks is now emphatically overdue. Don't especially care where. 3 weeks in Chisinau sounds good. I'll get a loyalty pass to return to Chisinau Museum of Menstruation without paying full fare each time

My job involves answering complaints relating to remortgages and boy are there going to be a lot of those, so without jinxing it I think I'll be ok. At the very worst both my partner and I can go live with our boomer parents and I can get back into writing and making music. Privilege dripping off the screen.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 10:39:10 PM
In order of priority

1) Visit parents
2) See friends
3) Go pub
4) I have plenty of leave saved up so as soon as I can leave the wretched isle I'm off. A purge style detox from HM UK GOVT LTD and all its bollocks is now emphatically overdue. Don't especially care where. 3 weeks in Chisinau sounds good. I'll get a loyalty pass to return to Chisinau Museum of Menstruation without paying full fare each time

Christ, Milverton level contempt

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Danger Man

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 08, 2020, 10:40:46 PM
Christ, Milverton level contempt

How many years until Shoulder's 40th birthday?  Same number of years until he becomes a tory!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 10:42:20 PM
Sorry, what's this above decoded?

You know it. Saw you admiring a pair of tan hush puppies.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 08, 2020, 10:33:13 PM
Ive been offered a chance to work at Uni Galway for 2 years, but its a step backward career wise.

NUI Galway? In Galway city, Ireland? It's a city like. A tiny, tiny city. But a city nonetheless. Bring wet weather gear and say goodbye to the sun.

No that's not fair, I was there in June last year and it was only gorgeous. But still pack your raincoat and your plastic pants.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPigSaw you admiring a pair of tan hush puppies.

You have entombed yourself in a cell padded with tan hush puppies in comparison to my economic position.

QuoteBut still pack your raincoat and your plastic pants.

And hush puppies.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 08, 2020, 10:51:14 PM
And hush puppies.
Ah no, no, now, a good pair of water-proof boots is what you be wanting in Galway now

Head Gardener

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2020, 10:30:33 PMFor healthy people under the age of 50 the chances of dying from corona are the same as dying from anything else. Very low indeed.

That's reassuring to hear, but my sister just finished chemo recently, my dad's on his last legs and my nephew has got asthma. I really can't be taking any chances.
We're all playing it very cautiously.

gib

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2020, 10:44:12 PM
How many years until Shoulder's 40th birthday?  Same number of years until he becomes a tory!

You know who else liked touring europe and couldn't stop mentioning it? Only that adolf hitler, that's who.

Danger Man

Quote from: gib on May 08, 2020, 11:15:02 PM
You know who else liked touring europe and couldn't stop mentioning it? Only that adolf hitler, that's who.

This post made me smile...

...and then it made me think

Barry Admin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 08, 2020, 11:13:21 PM
That's reassuring to hear, but my sister just finished chemo recently, my dad's on his last legs and my nephew has got asthma. I really can't be taking any chances.
We're all playing it very cautiously.

Yeah I have asthma and am immunosuppressed, plus ALWAYS get super bad chest infections and have other health issues to consider. My sis has fibromyalgia which means she's immunosuppressed too. My mum is getting on in years, has arthritis and works in a hospital. I think that shiteing it is fair enough tbh, and as I say, I don't want to become blasé anyway as that just means more risk.

Danger Man

Well, we all have to play the cards we are dealt. I'd certainly stay indoors if I was Barry.

Though I'm more concerned about his cat.

buttgammon

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 08, 2020, 10:33:13 PM

Couldn't say what it's like to live in but it's a lovely little city to visit, with some cracking pubs and bookshops.

The university campus is a bit odd, a jarring mix of leafy green spaces and brutalist concrete. I spent a couple of days at NUIG last year and found it so odd I ended up having regular dreams about the place for a while. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it made it hard to get a sense of what it's like to work there.

checkoutgirl

I can work from home but I'm not going to unless they start paying me again. I'd be very surprised if I find employment again in the next 3 years when you factor in social distancing, recession etc. It will take maybe 4 or 5 years to get back as close to normal as possible. I could be dead by then. I suspect I'll be at the mercy of the Irish social services for the forseeable. Thank fuck we don't have ATOS and Ian Cuntin Smith.