Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck are you going to do? What's your plan?

Started by Barry Admin, May 08, 2020, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2020, 10:11:50 PM
Apart from the first week when I was off sick for a week with absolute freak out

What medical condition is that?

Attila

Been working like a maniac from home since they switched our (university) teaching to online --probably spending more time on uni work and in front of the computer now than any time ordinariliy. This is the semester that just will not end. Finished a batch of marking yesterday (something like the 4th or 5th assignment to roll in since the end of term), then have two big sets of exams and two more assignments coming in at the end of May because all of the deadlines were extended due to the strike, and then the lockdown. Between this and resubmissions, I'll probably still be marking stuff from this semester clean into August if not September (I would normally be done and dusted by the end of May ahead of June exam boards).

Plus we have to start a 20 hour training course in shifting to online teaching for the autumn...and preparing all of our autumn modules from this month -- normally we'd be expected to do that in very late August/early Sept. So we're not even done with this semester, and under pressure to redesign everything for online teaching for the autumn. In between all of that are endless 'Hey we can have 2-3 hour meetings via Teams now!' mindset (I've knitted a lot of socks in the past few weeks).

My worry about the lockdown is, whilst all of this is a bit of a faff, I dread that we'll be summoned to start meeting back on campus. I take the train, so am not keen to start sharing space again too soon. Plus, it's daft: if Team meetings have shown anything, it's that commuting 3 hours round trip to get onto campus for a 1 hour PhD tutorial is a bit silly when we can meet remotely -- I'm on one team where I'm from 15 miles from campus, a colleague about 20, another colleague about 25, and the student about 40. I'm in a small programme where three of us live in England, and two in different countries on the continent.

Senior management, by the way, fucked off to remote working about 2 1/2 weeks before they let us do so. So I wouldn't put it past them to demand we all come back to campus asap, because then [they will argue] the students will want to come back. The bottom line for them is getting all of the students back.

I'm glad that at the moment my teaching post seems secure, but I worry about the precedent being set by Roehampton -- their senior management wants to reduce staffing by 15% and to get anyone who's grade 7 and above to take a massive wage cut.

buttgammon

I was furloughed for a couple of weeks, so I was getting loads of research done once the initial fear and confusion subsided. I'm now working the odd day and getting paid 80% wages for it, so that gives me a good balance between work and study. In the long run, things mightn't be so good. I'm going to be finishing a PhD next year in presumably awful economic circumstances, with universities getting absolutely fucked left right and centre. Getting a job in academia looked hard enough before, so I'm dreading it now.

My other job is a good fallback to have, especially as it's in an essential business. They're doing very badly too under the current circumstances, and I'm just hoping to cling on to my part-time job there to keep my foot in the door assuming the shit hits the fan in universities.

As a sideshow to all this, I'm hoping to get Irish citizenship this year, and I'm wondering how much the application process will be disrupted by the pandemic. I become eligible in July and my British passport expires in March; I really don't want to have to renew it, so it could become a race against time.

jobotic

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 08, 2020, 11:30:29 PM
What medical condition is that?

Me having a freak out. You won't find it in your so-called "medical books". Self-diagnosis.

Dex Sawash

Dewt

Quote from: Dewt on May 08, 2020, 10:24:42 PM
OCD recognise OCD.
Just to clarify I didn't mean to say that your concerns about getting this are irrational.

I almost died from pneumonia 12 years ago so I'm treating myself as at-risk.

Quote from: Dewt on May 09, 2020, 12:04:58 AMJust to clarify I didn't mean to say that your concerns about getting this are irrational.

Yeah man, no offence to danger man, but I think we're all holding the same hand here and you're doing the right thing.

flotemysost

Lots of people who've either been lucky enough to work from home (as I have), or who've been furloughed, or for any other reason are able to stay at home but hopefully aren't being fucked over too badly, seem to be developing a sort of weird lockdown Stockholm syndrome (Stockdown? Lockholme?).

One of my friends in a WhatsApp group was saying yesterday how it'll be great once we can at least start hanging out at each others' flats again etc. and I felt a weird sort of panic rising (separate to overall worry about easing lockdown, although it's probably related, deep down). As frustrated/lonely/bored as I've been (while recognising how insanely privileged I am to even have this concern), I've become quite attached to my new little routines and shrunken universe and the thought of leaving it and 'going back to normal' feels a bit weird.

Having said that, realistically I imagine the first people I'll see (whenever that may be) probably will be friends, at least those living within walking distance - assuming I'm not expected to go back into the office any time soon, which seems unlikely as my job's very data-based.

Have written off seeing my parents for a while sadly, both are 70, one currently recovering from an operation, the other a recovering alkie - not sure what the official odds are for either vs. the 'vid, but it doesn't seem worth huffing my smoggy lungs all over them to find out.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: flotemysost on May 09, 2020, 01:29:57 AM
Lots of people who've either been lucky enough to work from home (as I have), or who've been furloughed, or for any other reason are able to stay at home but hopefully aren't being fucked over too badly, seem to be developing a sort of weird lockdown Stockholm syndrome (Stockdown? Lockholme?).

One of my friends in a WhatsApp group was saying yesterday how it'll be great once we can at least start hanging out at each others' flats again etc. and I felt a weird sort of panic rising (separate to overall worry about easing lockdown, although it's probably related, deep down). As frustrated/lonely/bored as I've been (while recognising how insanely privileged I am to even have this concern), I've become quite attached to my new little routines and shrunken universe and the thought of leaving it and 'going back to normal' feels a bit weird.
Yeah I know what you mean. I won't be able to go back to any of my sports properly till mid-August at the earliest and I worry I'll get to like my free evenings too much. Remote working means I haven't had to deal with my shitty boss or That One Coworker I Don't Like in person and I am so much more relaxed for it.

Abnormal Palm

I have to go to work anyway so I'll just be even more careful and conscious when I'm out that a slightly increased percentage will be going full Jonestown. In public, I'll continue to focus on eye contact, big smile, and modelling exemplary social distancing. I want to reassure anyone who may need a bit of reassurance and also reinforce expectations to the Frankengonk bunting wraiths. I might start carrying a harpoon gun.

My home routine is clothes off, straight into a washable bag and into the washing machine. I come out smelling of lavender and a bit dizzy hahahaha you have to laugh hahahaha. I get straight in the shower opening any doors en route with my foot and I press the shower button with my knuckle. While I'm washing, I also clean the button. Then I can use the washing machine and basically that's 99.99% safe as far as I'm concerned. Then I start drinking.

For any home deliveries or supermarket shopping, I wash my hands first then take every item out and put them on the table. We don't eat at the table at all now. I spray each item with isopropyl and wipe it down with lens cleaner wipes. If it needs to go in the fridge, it does. If not, it can sit on the side overnight. This is the guidance my mates in China were given and in the absence of any advice in the UK, I'll stick with what has worked for people I know. All of the above may be overly cautious but it costs very little, it takes very little time and I'm already in the habit if and when risks increase.

The downsides for me, on a very trivial personal level, are that I don't have much interest in entertainment or hobbies. My attention span is even more battered than normal. I can't tell you how many films I've started over the last two months and almost immediately tuned out. I turn on games consoles and basically find almost everything boring. The desire to sink into something is very much there but I'm not getting much out of them. I feel like I have loads of time but I can't get round to keeping in touch with anyone besides a couple of mates and my brothers.

On the upside, yesterday I pulled my shorts up as high as I could, tucked my jumper in, put on a top hat and Ray-Bans and called to my wife, 'Father Christmas is here!' It doesn't sound funny but we both ended up on a ventilator. Good times.

Dewt

I do a lot of the stuff you mentioned there.

Glad the China advice matches up with "stuff I'm kind-of guessing at to make myself feel better".

sirhenry

I met up with some friends (we co-ordinated going to the chippie for a takeaway so got to hang out together (at a safe distance) for quarter of an hour in the queue while waiting for our orders) a couple of days ago and the consensus was that the real lockdown starts on Monday as relaxations will lead to all sorts of breaches and hugely increased transmission.

While it was reassuring that we all felt the same and are prepared for it, one sentiment came as a bit of a shock - as the most vulnerable in the group, my best friends have now told me that they don't want to see me again indefinitely - for my own good. I understand entirely but it hurt. I've sort of known and accepted this since the start but having it said out loud made the reality of it all really sink in. I'm joining the urban hermits for the long run...

An unexpectedly positive aspect of the meeting was that it took place around 8pm on Thursday. Two of the group are NHS workers and their anger at the clapping was a surprise - "We're not fucking heroes, we're just doing our jobs; we have no other option!" and "Next election day, Tory voters: Save the NHS. Save lives. Stay home."

wasp_f15ting

I have been working from home for the past several weeks now, but I used to WFH for 2-3 days a week anyway so it hasn't felt that jarring. What has been a pain though is every month we usually as a group of friends go for some Italian Food and Wine, and it has been horrible not to connect in that way.

My other half does work for the NHS, so she has no option to wfh, and she says her work is starting to get to some normality. She works in a lab that does the testing for CV19, so we have a strict protocol for when she gets home. A routine that is very similar to Abnormal Pain's. I do have some underlying health conditions after we both discussed it she does sleep in a different room. Which sucks :(

In terms of coping mechanisms reading has helped me a lot. I read Le Guin's Left hand of Darkness and Attention Merchants by Tim Wu. Plan to finish a few others. I also started journaling too.

I can't seem to get into playing a full game for some reason, as much as I love gaming besides the odd hour or so on Animal Crossing I have not been able to muster up energy to play anything meaningful. I just find the intensity of the current situation a bit to taxing to be adding something else on top.

Sin Agog

Due to fam not meeting the Nietzschean ideal, I'm in for another few months at least.  They're not planning on staggering their inevitable infections for the NHS's sake; they just aren't gonna get it, if Allah allows.  It should all be easier when my scratchy-scratchy hitty-kicky sister gets offloaded onto her carers some time in June, but I bet I'll be full of terror for her the second she leaves.

I've got a good reading, watching, playing rhythm down right now.  Also been doing my push-ups/pull-ups/humping the invisible woman exercise routine on a slug-trailed rug outside.  If only this place was a beachside property where I could get my free dive on, I'd be in a slightly shit Avalon.

steveh

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2020, 10:38:17 PM
Well yes but I thought it was worth saying because quite a few posters on here appear to be shitting themselves over something that is as likely to kill them as being struck by lightning.

It still causes long-term health conditions in people: heart issues that may need medication or surgery, kidney issues that may need people on dialysis for life, liver problems, neurological problems, lung damage that results in lower activity causing other issues, ME/CFS... It's not a quick flu and then that's it.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 09, 2020, 07:42:09 AMThe downsides for me, on a very trivial personal level, are that I don't have much interest in entertainment or hobbies. My attention span is even more battered than normal

That's not trivial at all. I know the feeling, I need escapism right now more than ever, and it feels so hard to lose myself in anything at the minute.
All my go to things that I know require my full attention and usually help calm me down and switch off to some extent aren't working.

Fambo Number Mive

Currently WFH. It would take me 1 hr 40 mins each way to walk to work according to Google Maps. I'd feel too scared to cycle round here, there are less buses on the road but probably the same amount of cars as some people will have switched from buses or trains to cars. So will walk part or all of the way to work, if I have to use the bus I'll wear my cloth mask.

Other than that I will continue going to the grocery shop one a week (can't carry more than a week's shopping) and going out for a daily walk during the early morning several times a week. Something that really helped my mental health was travelling by train/bus for a walk and exploring a new place, won't be doing that for the next few months it seems. My attention span has decreased from before the lockdown, it's been a bit better for books recently but worse for films.

Barry Admin

It's a shame you never got that cat, Fambo, it's a great time to have a cat, not that there's ever a bad time.

Anyway, I've been largely the same with games: my appalling concentration span has been even worse, I just can't sit and play any single-player stuff. The new Apex Legends season starts in a few days, so I'll get back into that. Need to exercise more again, starting to do a bit of shadow boxing and I have an exercise bike I can use, might also dig out my old Eyetoy as the boxing game on that was great. And I'm very, very into Miles Davis and jazz in general again of late, so I keep putting stuff like the Isle of Wight set on in the background, and slowly drink in every single detail. Just keep on keeping on. Try not to worry about my Mum and my sis; my Mum had to get tested for the 'Rona last week as she was coughing and stuff, but thankfully it came back clear.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 08, 2020, 10:00:45 PM
(Not one single person has given way btw, always me who walks off into the middle of the road.)

I've found this too and it fucks me off no end, a couple of times people have all but walked in to me when there's been loads of space too and I've had to dart out of there way, their idiocy fucks me off no end.

Barry Admin

PAVEMENT CHICKEN RETURNS! I'm always staring at my phone too, although thankfully I have fairly exceptional peripheral vision after three years of Ingress and PoGo addiction. Bored of those now though, and don't think they're really worth the risk currently. I've been thinking about playing guitar again, need to get back into that.

Anyway yeah, keep being vigilant and stay outta their way, that's all we can do mate.

Thursday

About half my company has been furloughed, but I'm still working from home, I really hope my company will continue to allow me to at least mostly work this way as people return from furlough for a while.

Partly just for safety reasons, but also because, man not having to commute and being able to sleep for longer is nice. I was curious what it would do to my sleeping patters, and as it turns out - I still go to bed around the same sort of time - I just get out of bed over an hour later. Also there's no KFC and McDonalds to tempt me to waste quite a lot of money on terrible food.

Blue Jam

With that Nicola Sturgeon being a stubborn fucker and extending the lockdown here for the hell of it and just to piss Boris off I am currently feeling very glad I live in Scotland. Go Sturge.

I'm supposed to be going back to werk properly in mid-June. Werk have sent a survey round asking how many hours we need to be in the lab per day, if we really need to use office computers etc. For me that means I'll probably be coming into the lab to set up an experiment in the evening before coming in the next morning to do the second step, and only hanging about for an hour at a time before going back to werking from home. There is talk of letting people take their werk computers home and I can't see anyone being allowed back into the shared offices.

The worrying thing for me is that werk really don't want us using buses to commute. I have a bike but I'm terrified of cycling on roads. I might have to use one cycle path to get halfway there, then walk my bike for a bit to the second cycle path to take me most of the way to the building. It sounds inconvenient and daft but that's how much of a wuss I am.

Blue Jam

Also the cactus on my desk is almost certainly dead. Bit sad about that, it was a nicely phallic one.

Zetetic

Might have to do a Ferguson's Mistress in the near future over several hundred miles.

Leave it long enough, and it probably counts as giving aid to vulnerable person which sounds like a joke but isn't.

bgmnts

I suppose try and get a shit job I hate that destroys me emotionally and mentally again after the happy 6 weeks under lockdown.

Beyond that who knows. Maybe cycle round the UK.

Blue Jam

Actually the first thing I'll do is go to my local pub and hug all the dogs. Some of the humans too.

I'll also book a holiday as soon as that becomes an option. Somewhere smol that Mr Jam and I already know like Girona or Ljubljana where we won't have to seek out all the good restaurants and bars and we can just be lazy.

I've enjoyed spending time with my family, being around my son and teaching him about wildlife has meant so much, and left me questioning my previous work/family balance. Working from home hasn't really worked, part of this is down to management incompetence, not being set appropriate work tasks, and a scandal breaking last week in our service which was quite frankly embarrassing.

I've become more politically engaged as the lockdown has wore on. BREXIT and Labour under Corbyn left me feeling fatigued and disinterested, but I feel the fire and fury brewing against our woeful government.  I'd like got get more involved in local politics off the back of this.

Buelligan

I'm so loving being in lockdown it'll break my heart to end it.  Obviously I feel extremely sorry for everyone who's suffered in any way, great or small from it, but for me, once I got over being unwell, it's been absolute unadulterated heaven.  I hope they never restart the airlines like it was ever again too, that would be perverse in the extreme.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on May 09, 2020, 05:16:37 PM
I'm so loving being in lockdown it'll break my heart to end it.  Obviously I feel extremely sorry for everyone who's suffered in any way, great or small from it, but for me, once I got over being unwell, it's been absolute unadulterated heaven.  I hope they never restart the airlines like it was ever again too, that would be perverse in the extreme.

My brother in law works for big bad Nissan and they are getting inundated with orders for PETROL motors because people are worried about public transport. Plus, looks like they'll be vetoing any moves towards a greener industry to tackle climate change - for 5 YEARS - in order to recover costs.

FUCKING HELL

finnquark

Our 6th Form College is still shut, obviously. There's been quite a lot of marking to do so far, and deciding A Level grades too, which took a lot of deliberation. I've been trying to 'teach' remotely but there's so any students who cannot access the stuff in a timely fashion at home, because they can't get hold of laptops or whatever. I've had what I think was a mild bout of the virus, and passed it to my girlfriend who had a really rough dose and was bedridden for 14 days. So I don't know how to feel about immunity, whether it exists for a long-time or not, etc. But before we closed down there were loads of students who were terrified of being in and picking up the virus, not necessarily for themselves but because they had vulnerable family at home. Two days before we shut, I had two students in floods of tears in form time, because they were terrified of hurting family member by bringing the virus home to them. Lots of our students are carers too. I don't see how that will be resolved really - even if we had 50% attendance, the classrooms are so full that there wouldn't be effective social distancing.