Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What the fuck are you going to do? What's your plan?

Started by Barry Admin, May 08, 2020, 10:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: finnquark on May 09, 2020, 07:46:07 PM
Our 6th Form College is still shut, obviously. There's been quite a lot of marking to do so far, and deciding A Level grades too, which took a lot of deliberation. I've been trying to 'teach' remotely but there's so any students who cannot access the stuff in a timely fashion at home, because they can't get hold of laptops or whatever. I've had what I think was a mild bout of the virus, and passed it to my girlfriend who had a really rough dose and was bedridden for 14 days. So I don't know how to feel about immunity, whether it exists for a long-time or not, etc. But before we closed down there were loads of students who were terrified of being in and picking up the virus, not necessarily for themselves but because they had vulnerable family at home. Two days before we shut, I had two students in floods of tears in form time, because they were terrified of hurting family member by bringing the virus home to them. Lots of our students are carers too. I don't see how that will be resolved really - even if we had 50% attendance, the classrooms are so full that there wouldn't be effective social distancing.

Yeah that kind of stuff is crazy.  They're lifting some of the regulations here next week, schools will be able to reopen but the mayor gets the say and the parents can decide whether to send their kids or not.  I was speaking to a parent today (I made my trip to the shops and she and I were shopping for several other people who are housebound in the village) and they were telling me that they won't be allowing their 15 year old to return to classes until the autumn at the earliest.  I don't think it's possible to ensure social distancing in environments like schools and colleges.

H-O-W-L

Back to work in June. Dreading it. Honestly hoping they shut the shop I work at before I go back. Considering just saying fuck it and never going back in for my first scheduled return shift, you know? Be unwise to lose my source of income right now, but at the same time I can always suck cock for coppers once The Plague has ceased reaping whole nations. If I get it and die then there's fuck all I can do, and if I get it and kill my parents fuck knows what I'll do then.

For what it's worth, I work in a supermarket for a tenner an hour, so you can see why I'm considering just going dark on it and taking my chances at having to stick my hand down toilets for 5p/hour after THE APOCALYPSE has come to a close.

Pijlstaart

My work is provisionally opening up the last week of May, nothing's been decided yet, a lot of panicked speculation. I've only been in on weekends, so have had the lab to myself, but things will have to change. Might need a mask, might need a prodding stick, not sure if pijlstaart's conscience/work/sadiq will let me commute via tube. Tube is the main fear, it was a complete shitshow during the initial lockdown week and I have no faith it'll be any better when people go back to work. Gave a crap-ton of equipment and reagents to a covid testing lab, will have to adapt without it. Universities obviously going to be decimated, mine has the biggest cohort of international students in the country, so we're going to feel it. We're not allowing lab projects for masters or undergrads next year, so can't imagine they'll waste their money here.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 09, 2020, 08:47:44 PM
Back to work in June. Dreading it. Honestly hoping they shut the shop I work at before I go back. Considering just saying fuck it and never going back in for my first scheduled return shift, you know? Be unwise to lose my source of income right now, but at the same time I can always suck cock for coppers once The Plague has ceased reaping whole nations. If I get it and die then there's fuck all I can do, and if I get it and kill my parents fuck knows what I'll do then.

For what it's worth, I work in a supermarket for a tenner an hour, so you can see why I'm considering just going dark on it and taking my chances at having to stick my hand down toilets for 5p/hour after THE APOCALYPSE has come to a close.

If the world had any sense, the economy would drive towards key workers in all sectors, salary based on inherent value to society, like supermarket workers and street cleaners.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 09, 2020, 08:52:26 PM
If the world had any sense, the economy would drive towards key workers in all sectors, salary based on inherent value to society, like supermarket workers and street cleaners.

I'm really fucked off at only now being considered a "key worker", honestly. My role is legitimately important to the supply chain of things (obviously I don't want to be TOO specific just incase some winger from the company sees it, though being sacked at this point might be a mercy.) as almost any supermarket role is, and yet only now are people even mentioning "key worker" in the same breath as us, and only now are people even beginning to realize that 'shelf-stackers' like myself aren't fucking tapeworms.

I'm at a pretty serious risk of dying from COVID (immunocompromised, asthmatic, on a steroid inhaler that dings my immune system too) and was isolated by my doc for 12 weeks, so I'm really wondering if a job -- one I enjoy, but one that can be replaced -- is sincerely worth risking my life for anymore.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 09, 2020, 04:14:13 PM...and a scandal breaking last week in our service which was quite frankly embarrassing.

...?

Please? 

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 09, 2020, 08:55:48 PM
I'm really fucked off at only now being considered a "key worker", honestly. My role is legitimately important to the supply chain of things (obviously I don't want to be TOO specific just incase some winger from the company sees it, though being sacked at this point might be a mercy.) as almost any supermarket role is, and yet only now are people even mentioning "key worker" in the same breath as us, and only now are people even beginning to realize that 'shelf-stackers' like myself aren't fucking tapeworms.

I'm at a pretty serious risk of dying from COVID (immunocompromised, asthmatic, on a steroid inhaler that dings my immune system too) and was isolated by my doc for 12 weeks, so I'm really wondering if a job -- one I enjoy, but one that can be replaced -- is sincerely worth risking my life for anymore.

At my work we are still hiring people and sending them laptops to get started. So the lockdown isn't necessarily an issue for changing careers. Have a mooch on LinkedIn in the jobs bit.

Ted_Dibiase

Quote from: buttgammon on May 08, 2020, 11:37:29 PM

As a sideshow to all this, I'm hoping to get Irish citizenship this year, and I'm wondering how much the application process will be disrupted by the pandemic. I become eligible in July and my British passport expires in March; I really don't want to have to renew it, so it could become a race against time.

It's supposed to take roughly a year before all this kicked off, I'm not expecting mine til June 21 at the earliest now and I applied back in Jan

buttgammon

Quote from: Ted_Dibiase on May 09, 2020, 11:08:26 PM
It's supposed to take roughly a year before all this kicked off, I'm not expecting mine til June 21 at the earliest now and I applied back in Jan

Thanks for that - guess I'll be renewing for a Proper Blue Passport then.

Blinder Data

My plan is to buy a property, preferably a house, as soon as possible. Bored of noisy neighbours and we need some space. But I guess everyone else will be desperate for the same? It'll be our first so hopefully we can find the right house quickly.

Will also invest in a decent monitor, desk and office chair as I imagine I will be WFH at least a few days a week from now on.

Other than that just carry on as before. I'm not disinfecting my shopping but wear mask and wash hands a lot etc. It seems I've already a mild case of the vids (COVID TOES) so hopefully that's it for me.

DiClassomo

No idea. Supposed to be back at work in a week or so, but that'd involve sharing a vehicle because driving tests have been postponed for the forseeable.

kittens

shitting myself every day about having to go back to work. this lockdown is the best time of my life so far. absolutely amazing.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 10, 2020, 05:12:17 PM
My plan is to buy a property, preferably a house, as soon as possible. Bored of noisy neighbours and we need some space. But I guess everyone else will be desperate for the same?
Not the dead or unemployed ones.

Zetetic

Quote from: kittens on May 10, 2020, 05:54:19 PM
shitting myself every day about having to go back to work. this lockdown is the best time of my life so far. absolutely amazing.
You need actively encouraging, boy.

Going to use my unlimited exercise time to run to a different country I think.

Kelvin

Quote from: kittens on May 10, 2020, 05:54:19 PM

Heh. Same. I'd like to pretend it's because I'm scared of the virus, getting ill, passing it on to others. But really I'm just dreading going back to a job I hate.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on May 09, 2020, 11:52:05 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-52564392

Bloody hell.  I'm sorry mate I thought it would be 'back of the Astra with Tina from Finance' level.  Lowlight:

It apologised and blamed "human error".

Risk illiterate to boot. 

Icehaven

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 10, 2020, 05:12:17 PM
My plan is to buy a property, preferably a house, as soon as possible. Bored of noisy neighbours and we need some space. But I guess everyone else will be desperate for the same? It'll be our first so hopefully we can find the right house quickly.

How does buying property prevent you from having noisy neighbours?

imitationleather

momatt

Quote from: Danger Man on May 08, 2020, 10:30:33 PM
For healthy people under the age of 50 the chances of dying from corona are the same as dying from anything else. Very low indeed.
Even a fatso like me seems to have a 99% chance of not being killed by it, which seems good odds.
I won't be going out until the pubs reopen but if Dubai airport opens first I'm hoping to leave the UK for a long time.

But it's not just about you is it.  Avoiding the infection saves other people too.

Blinder Data

Quote from: icehaven on May 11, 2020, 12:54:50 AM
How does buying property prevent you from having noisy neighbours?

Detached house, baby! (If only...)

Basically I'm sick of hearing the party upstairs and whatever downstairs is watching on telly. Ideally I'll move into a house with deaf OAPs on either side of it and then I'll become the loud one.

Funcrusher

I'm kind of concerned about the vague mention that's been made of potential long term lung damage from having this thing. People who've had it are only in the early stages of recovery now, and look to be taking a long time to recover.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 11, 2020, 10:23:09 AM
I'm kind of concerned about the vague mention that's been made of potential long term lung damage from having this thing. People who've had it are only in the early stages of recovery now, and look to be taking a long time to recover.

Ubermensch Boris, though, eh?

Funcrusher

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 11, 2020, 10:25:46 AM
Ubermensch Boris, though, eh?

Dunno, he still looks pretty rough and seems to have lost a lot of weight.

Ray Travez

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Waiting on my boss to tell me whether I can resume outdoor work next Monday. Will poke him later in the week if no word.

alan nagsworth

As a London property inspector 80% of my working week is spent either in occupied homes (often with the tenant present) or on public transport getting to said homes all across the city. I've been furloughed for nearly two months now (I think? I have no concept of time any more) and am extremely concerned that I am either going to be forced back to work or laid off, both of which would be equally hellish and anxiety-inducing for me. Whole thing's fucked, I have no idea what's going to happen to me.

canadagoose

In terms of my life, I'm still a bit fucked. I'll still be on Universal Credit, but I'll at least be on the new antidepressant by then. I'll still have no energy, though, probably, and the chronic pain stuff will still be a nuisance, probably still more so than when I was on duloxetine. I'd like to go and see my parents, and just be away from the city for a bit. Going to buy some new clothes because mine are so worn out it's ridiculous. Going to need a haircut. Probably going to try and have *some* exercise. I don't like going for exercise at the moment because I'm too fucked and the world feels weird, uncomfortable and, let's face it, a bit hostile. Maybe by the winter, I might be good enough for a part-time job? Dunno. Arsed really mate.

weekender

Have you thought about not going on Universal Credit, and getting a job instead?