Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:34:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I wonder if some people in the UK have never heard of this covid-19 thing at all

Started by Replies From View, May 09, 2020, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

There probably are, but it's a strain to imagine them.

Worth it though.

They would need to be stupendously isolated from all news on TV, radio or the internet, never do any shopping to see that there are queues and people wearing masks and gloves everywhere.  Maybe do online shopping with an ad-block preventing them seeing any covid warnings or information.  No friends or family.

Quite sad but good as well because they are like a cartoon lonely person and cartoons are always funny, haha

There's certainly some people living completely 'off grid' in the Highlands, and elsewhere (to some extent).

Even then, they must need to travel to stock up on supplies every few weeks.  There are places like the peninsula of Knoydart which you can only reach by boat or on foot, but there would usually be hillwalkers and kayakers around, and estate workers, so you would know something wasn't right. 

I suspect that unless you dementia, it'd be almost impossible in modern times not to be aware of something like this.

A mate of mine got chatting to a guy in a pub that was completely unaware there had been a Brexit referendum. He wasn't totally apolitical either. Was genuinely furious that we were leaving. That's pretty hard to miss, though in the covid case he might have at least decided to find out why all the pubs were shut.

dissolute ocelot

There are probably some people emerging from their meth dens or MMORPG bunkers to see everybody wearing masks and are straight into Zombie Attack Survival Plan, down the bunker, or off looting. If you don't watch TV or engage with the internet or talk to anybody, first you'll know it is when you go outside and everything is shut. And when you try and ask them what the fuck is going on they move away and shout COVID.

Also, more sadly, quite a few elderlies must be wondering why everyone is wearing masks all of a sudden.