Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:19:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do the Times want their own ex-journalist in charge?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 09, 2020, 02:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Matthew Parris, who is always readable even when he is wrong, has written a piece in the Times asking gently in a centerist way if Johnson is up to the job regarding the current virus: https://twitter.com/ClareTickell/status/1259019358237532165/photo/1

I do wonder if The Times want Gove in charge instead, much as the Telegraph have been solidly behind Johnson since he stood for the leadership. Or maybe they will back Starmer as he offers what Blair offered in 1997, keeping conservatism alive even without the Conservative Party.

Gove hasn't been boosted by Have I Got News For You but maybe HIGNFY isn't so popular now it's done remotely. I do wonder if the establishment plan to blame Johnson personally for any criticism and move onto the fourth Tory leader since 2020. I feel more pessimistic about democracy and politics in Britain than ever, especially with a tailor's dummy in an expensive suit as opposition leader.

If Gove does become PM he'll have more space for his dubious books.

BlodwynPig

Fambo Number Mive

Blinder Data

Matthew Parris has always detested Boris Johnson. Many of his previous columns on the subject of the current PM have been excoriating.

Also:
Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 09, 2020, 02:23:13 PM
I do wonder if The Times want Gove in charge instead, much as the Telegraph have been solidly behind Johnson since he stood for the leadership. Or maybe they will back Starmer as he offers what Blair offered in 1997, keeping conservatism alive even without the Conservative Party.

The idea that "Starmer = Blair" is reductive, inaccurate and unhelpful. He's been Labour leader for a month? We shouldn't jump to conclusions.

idunnosomename

genuinely wonder if anyone wants gove in charge. he's a slimy fascist who is really into eugenics and other jackboot shit. johnson dont give a shit about policy really. he has no policy other than himself.

"boris" has always had grassroots support. "people like boris". nobody likes "gove".

imitationleather

They're not going to voluntarily put someone with the physical appearance and personality of a boil in charge.

idunnosomename

i dont even think sarah vine would vote for him in a membership leadership contest

Blinder Data

I should've added that I think that fundamentally Fambo you're right. Both the Times and Sunday Times have run pieces critical of the government recently. They probably think Boris Johnson is a shambolic and dangerous PM, and the sooner someone like Gove takes over the better.

Fambo Number Mive

I think that the Establishment will usually back the Tories unless their handling of the economy becomes an issue, as that will affect their wealth. It happened with Major's government after 1992 and I do wonder if some in the Establishment, who may not care about the people but do care about their money, will think "If Johnson's government responded like Germany and locked down much earlier and with a better enforced lockdown, I might be making more money now as the lockdown might have been relaxed like in other countries and my shops/businesses might be open."

Then again some might not want the lockdown at all as it will affect their business. There are rumours in the press that a number of Tory MPs want Johnson to go further than what he plans.

idunnosomename

Whered he get that costa cup from? Does he keep his empties?

Zetetic

Fambo Number Mive

The fawning replies on that tweet, especially the person with the Union Jack avatar who is unhappy that a member of the public is "harranging" the Prime Minister.

dissolute ocelot

It's possible that if Boris flops catastrophically/dies, the Tories will go for a charisma-free dalek like Gove in compensation, but the Tory party has many finer charisma-free MPs who went to better schools and are more reliable. And I suspect they'd prefer someone more Dominic Raabish or Prini Patelly or even Mark Francoisy who can shout at them. Tories like that.

jobotic

idunnosomename

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jobotic on May 11, 2020, 11:08:48 PM
It'll be whoever Cummings puts there.
If somehow Johnson is booted out of #10, which seems unlikely anytime soon, isn't that Cummings done for too?

jobotic

As I was reminded on here, he was Gove's twitter enforcer when he Education Secretary. He was The Blob man. Vote Leave run the show now.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jobotic on May 11, 2020, 11:23:38 PM
As I was reminded on here, he was Gove's twitter enforcer when he Education Secretary. He was The Blob man. Vote Leave run the show now.
That's a good point, but I was wondering if his current standing as "Boris' man" would make any successor want him hanging around, even Gove. A lot of it might depend on who carries the can (if anyone) over the current state of affairs.