Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:53:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Re-opening schools

Started by Twit 2, May 10, 2020, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Separate thread.

Opening schools to children in year R, 1 and 6 in June is absolute shite.

Note the modal verbs (primary English curriculum, year 5) "could" and "may" in the speech...

Twit 2

So if you've got more that one child and they're in multiple year groups at school, you'll send in the kids in year R/1/6 and keep your others at home with you, yeah? Dickheads.

Twit 2

Youngest children back to school = more people back to work = profits = death.

imitationleather

Should have thought about that before you had multiple kids.

ollyboro

At least the rush to tax and mot cars recently declared as off the road should flush the nonces out.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 10, 2020, 07:38:39 PM
Youngest children back to school = more people back to work = profits = death.

Of course. I was wondering why the youngest first - surely they're the most vulnerable and least likely to socially distance.

daf

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 10, 2020, 07:26:19 PM
year R, 1 and 6

Year R?

(actually, I have no idea what 1 and 6 are these days either - I presume they don't mean 11 year-olds and sixth formers)

Replies From View

Quote from: daf on May 10, 2020, 07:58:39 PM
Year R?

(actually, I have no idea what 1 and 6 are these days either - I presume they don't mean 11 year-olds and sixth formers)

Reception.  Not normally called "Year R" mind you.

So it goes nursery, reception, and then year 1 and so on.

Bit weird after we've just heard our prime minister offering an impenetrable algorithm concerning R = rate of infection or whatever Day Today -esque nonsense it was.

daf

Ooh, they have a Reception these days - there's posh!

("with these tiny bottles of milk, you are really spoiling us!")

Replies From View

Nursery is age 3-4, reception age 4-5, year 1 is age 5-6 and so on.

I can't remember what they called it when we were kids.  It was probably different for every school.

Bazooka

Quote from: Replies From View on May 10, 2020, 08:06:44 PM

I can't remember what they called it when we were kids.  It was probably different for every school.

Rugrats

daf

QuoteI can%u2019t remember what they called it when we were kids.  It was probably different for every school

Off the top of me nut (I'm 49 so this would be roughly between 1974 and 1988)

Primary school[Babanod = Babies / Dosbarth = Class]
4 -  Babanod
5 -  Dosbarth Un (1)
6 -  Dosbarth Dau (2)
7 -  Dosbarth Tri (3)
8 -  Dosbarth Pedwar (4)
9 -  Dosbarth Pump (5)
10- Dosbarth Chwech (6)

Secondary School : [Safon = Standard / Chweched = Sixth Form]
11 - Safon Un
12 - Safon Dau
13 - Safon Tri
14 - Safon Pedwar
15 - Safon Pump - O levels - I think this was the last year they existed
16 - Chwech Un (generally just called 'Chweched' for both years)
17 - Chwech Dau - A levels
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
plus the Gulag that was Uned = [literally "Unit"] the "special" class for all ages of 'Losers, Boozers & Jaccuzi Users'.

Alberon

We had a year of Infants, two years of Lower Juniors and two years of Upper Juniors. But that was so long ago they'd only just stopped the chimney sweep classes.

Replies From View

Quote from: Alberon on May 10, 2020, 08:30:09 PM
We had a year of Infants, two years of Lower Juniors and two years of Upper Juniors. But that was so long ago they'd only just stopped the chimney sweep classes.

We had infants and juniors as well, but these were for ages 5-7 and 7-11 respectively.  The two groups now known as Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.

What they called ages 3-5 I can't remember.

Conveniently it was as I was moving into secondary that the current scheme was adopted, so my first year of secondary was called Year 7, but there was still the trace of their old year numbering going on that you could sense in the language teachers used.

idunnosomename

are they going to be in school for all of july and august then? little buggers better be

Jasha

Quote from: Replies From View on May 10, 2020, 08:06:44 PM

Ladybirds
Hedgehogs
Otters
Owls

Beagle 2

Scratching my head a bit because my wife's having another baby at the end of July so is not encouraged to go back to the office, I can't go back to the office as it's the size of a Vauxhall Corsa and I don't need to be there, but presumably the nurseries will open at the same time as reception does, so are we sending our mucky lad there while we work from home, and if so, what's the point as it's a Petri dish of disease at the best of times.

Danger Man

Quote from: imitationleather on May 10, 2020, 07:40:56 PM
Should have thought about that before you had multiple kids.

Fewer kids---a greener planet

finnquark

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 10, 2020, 09:12:18 PM
are they going to be in school for all of july and august then? little buggers better be

Absolutely not.

Brian Freeze

How much power do the unions have to say to the government - nah, fuck off till september us lot dont think its safe for us to be back at work?

jobotic

They'd have to ballot. And jump over the hoops that have put in place to make that hard to do.

If the leadership of the unions came out with a statement saying they refuse it would make a difference. NEU might do that. Don't have much faith in GMB and Unison to though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pingers

I wonder what percentage of parents would have to refuse to send their kids back to school if they thought it was too early,  to deter local authorities from taking them to court. This set of Tory fucking morons are not the people I trust to make decisions in the interests of my children.

idunnosomename

also what would stop kids bunking off with no penalties because there's no way you could prosecute the parents for children not attending a plague bin

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 11, 2020, 08:39:18 PM
also what would stop kids bunking off with no penalties because there's no way you could prosecute the parents for children not attending a plague bin
I can see school becoming essentially voluntary. Hate your kids? Need to work? Send them off. Otherwise homeschool, with an ever-increasing range of services for rich parents, and everyone else's kids sent straight to Deliveroo Bicycling Academy.

Fambo Number Mive

Head teachers and council leaders have also come out against the plan: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52633150

Twit 2

Quote"Good news kid, you get to go back to school!"
"Oh great, so the germs are gone?"
"Ummmm yeah, pretty much... I mean technically there's more deaths per day than there was when they closed the school... but I'm sure it's fine."

"I can't wait to play with my friends!"
"Well yeah, you might see some of your friends, but you won't be able to touch them or play with them."
"Why?"
"Because of the germs."
"But there aren't any germs now?!"
"Right....but there might be... so you can't go close to your friends."

"Oh well, at least I'll see them."
"Well, you might not see them all because you might not all be in the same classroom."
"Oh, but I'll be in my classroom though right?"
"Well you might not be because you'll have to spread out a bit."
"Spread out to where?"
"To the other classrooms."
"But won't the other classes be in their rooms?"
"No the other classes won't be there."
"Why?"
"Because of the germs."
"But why am I the only one going back?"
"Ummm..... because you're small and you can spread out more?... because you don't take up so much space?!?.... honestly no one knows mate."

"Oh well, at least I'll see my teacher... but wait...Mum how will my teacher be in all the classrooms at once?"
"Well, you might not have your teacher."
"Who will I have?"
"I don't know..."

"Oh.... if I'm going back to school can we go and get my new school shoes? Remember you said I would have to get new shoes because my feet have grown?!"
"Right... yeah... it's not safe to open the shops so we can't get shoes."
"But it is safe for me to go to school?"
"Yep, maybe... unless there's a spike in the virus, then we might have to stay home again."
"How will they know if there's a spike in the virus though Mum?"
"Hospital admissions... and number of deaths."
"But what if I've already got it by then, from going to school?"
"Well you probably won't die because you're young."
"Do children not die then?"
"Most of them don't."
"But grownups do?"
"Some, yes."
"So what about my teacher?"
"........?"

"Mum is it ok if I don't go back to school? It doesn't sound like it's the right time yet"

"Yes mate that's fine, you're right, let's stay home."