Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lil Dicky series "Dave"

Started by Retinend, May 11, 2020, 07:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Available now on iPlayer. Has it been discussed yet?

edit:It's really good. Not over the top funny like his music videos (which are brilliant), but rather it goes the more naturalistic route and tells a straightforward autobiographical story.

I liked this piece of racial humour (so to speak):
"Smoke weed? ah no thank you. ....I smoke. I treat it like a glass of wine at the end of the day. If I smoke this early I feel like a total waste of my life"

timebug

It started on 'real' TV last night,either Beeb 2 or Beeb 4. Gave it ten minutes,which was more than it deserved, but I am sure some will like it.

up_the_hampipe

There was small discussion of it here https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=78957.0

I seemed to be one of the only people that properly loved it. One of the best new shows I've seen in a while. If you can get over what appears to be sophomoric humour, there's a lot more to it. Some intense and devastating scenes sprinkled throughout as well. The first 10 or so minutes of the finale is absolutely bonkers. Episodes 3, 7, 9 & 10 are the highlights I'd say.

Retinend

Just watched 3. Devastatingly frank about sex in a way that few British comedies would dare to be.

Retinend

Well that was awesome. Just binge watched the whole thing and was happy to hear (breaking news) that the second series has been commissioned off the back of record ratings for the original broadcaster: https://deadline.com/2020/05/dave-renewed-season-2-fxx-fx-networks-highest-ranked-comedy-series-ever-1202931218/

up_the_hampipe

Excellent news! I hope he releases the 'Jail' song too.

Sebastian Cobb

I finished off the last few episodes after stalling there are some great bits in there. Good storylines in there amongst the silliness too.

Retinend

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 12, 2020, 06:21:15 PM
Excellent news! I hope he releases the %u2018Jail%u2019 song too.

I agree that this was a highlight.

Of course, as a single release, it suffers from the problem that there is a mythical verse (ostensibly merely not broadcast) which completely vindicates Dave against the protests of any given critic.

By the way, don't you just love that cocky producer character? I'd love to see more of him and Dave together. They have a great bremistry.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Retinend on May 13, 2020, 11:19:20 AM
Of course, as a single release, it suffers from the problem that there is a mythical verse (ostensibly merely not broadcast) which completely vindicates Dave against the protests of any given critic.

Well, they show a bit of it where he
Spoiler alert
bites the guy's dick off
[close]
, so it seemed as though it was just gonna get sillier. I suppose the song was purposefully incomplete though.

Clownbaby

Really don't care for Lil Dicky and his face but I've heard decent things from other people who don't like Lil Dicky

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 13, 2020, 01:41:03 PM
Really don't care for Lil Dicky and his face but I've heard decent things from other people who don't like Lil Dicky

It's all up on iPlayer if you fancy a sniff https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p08b9fpl/dave

ZoyzaSorris

Enjoying this. Fella's a funny fucker.

Also enjoying this. The supporting cast are excellent. The GaTa episode was one of the best portrayals of Mental illness I've seen on television.

kyema

Started watching this tonight based on the recommendations in this thread. I was skeptical but really enjoyed it. Episode 5 was a belter.

Ja'moke

Finally got round to binging this over the past couple of days. I wasn't sure after the first episode but came to really love it by the end. Very funny and surprisingly sweet in places. Some great characters too, the episode about Gata is fantastic.