Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:43:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peel Sessions

Started by jobotic, May 11, 2020, 01:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No Furious Pig Session?

jobotic

I didn't do it!

No lots of things but lots of good ones.

the science eel

ATV and Blue Orchids so far. Both fucking A.

Thanks.

Pingers

Fucking hell Jobotic, what a trove thanks. Going to start with that 1988 King of the Slums session, that was a belter.

Ignatius_S

The Perfumed Garden (http://theperfumedgarden.blogspot.com) has a lot of Peel shows.

jobotic

I love that first Man or Astro-man? session. God I was happy then. Fucking nostalgic prick.

Gregory Torso

I don't know if you are all aware of this, but if you go to the Calendar page of the John Peel wiki you can download and listen to loads of full shows of his, mostly from the 1990s, but I think there's a few from the 80s, too. I actually managed to find and listen to a complete recording of the first John Peel programme I ever taped, 1st May 1992, when I was but a wee greasy tadpole in an XXXL swervedriver t-shirt. I remember going to school the next day and raving about these new bands, 'Fudgetunnel' and 'Circus Lupus' that I'd heard. Ah wish I was dead.

SteveDave

jobotic

Ooh I bought "Boom-a-Bang-Bang-Bang"

SteveDave

thugler

Are the sessions available to download in decent quality anywhere with the tracks seperated?

Would love to pick several of these out to keep

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

studpuppet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 11, 2020, 02:07:39 PM
No Furious Pig Session?

No ...And The Native Hipsters, no Frank Chickens with the little spoken intro to 'Blue Canary' ("This a-song is about Japanese housewife in Militon Keynes...") List can fuck off until it does.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 11, 2020, 10:22:39 PM
I don't know if you are all aware of this, but if you go to the Calendar page of the John Peel wiki you can download and listen to loads of full shows of his, mostly from the 1990s, but I think there's a few from the 80s, too. I actually managed to find and listen to a complete recording of the first John Peel programme I ever taped, 1st May 1992, when I was but a wee greasy tadpole in an XXXL swervedriver t-shirt. I remember going to school the next day and raving about these new bands, 'Fudgetunnel' and 'Circus Lupus' that I'd heard. Ah wish I was dead.

Some nice additional information list there.

Re: dates of shows, The Perfumed Garden above has ones from the 1960s.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: studpuppet on May 12, 2020, 01:07:15 PM
No ...And The Native Hipsters, no Frank Chickens with the little spoken intro to 'Blue Canary' ("This a-song is about Japanese housewife in Militon Keynes...") List can fuck off until it does.

Also doesn't include the session by one of High Wycombe's finest bands Bandung File, inclusive of their popular tune " Addicted To Robert Palmer". Disgraceful.

jobotic

please delete this woeful thread

SteveDave

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2020, 12:56:22 PM
That Lulu song?

No, just the first song I ever wrote that follows me round like a weird old man.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SteveDave on May 12, 2020, 01:21:18 PM
No, just the first song I ever wrote that follows me round like a weird old man.

Oh, I see, you were a Love. That makes your. " Mother?" post less confusing. Well, that's quite impressive.

We're any of the other boys and girls of CaB on a Peel Session? Maybe you were a Golden Virgin, A Catapult, a Serious Drinker, or even Peter Hamill. Write in and tell us.

Gregory Torso

I'd love to know what that one good Mick Hucknall record is, as alluded to in the notes of the show Mr SteveDave linked to.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Something by the Frantic Elevators?

chveik

Quote from: thugler on May 12, 2020, 12:52:58 PM
Are the sessions available to download in decent quality anywhere with the tracks seperated?

Would love to pick several of these out to keep

soulseek I reckon

studpuppet

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 12, 2020, 01:33:31 PM

We're any of the other boys and girls of CaB on a Peel Session? Maybe you were a Golden Virgin, A Catapult, a Serious Drinker, or even Peter Hamill. Write in and tell us.

I played guitar in a band you've never heard of called Greenhouse, we did a session in 1991. And we're not on that list but thanks for posting Jobotic, it'll keep me entertained for ages.

By the way, someone upthread mentioned ...And The Native Hipsters, did they do a Peel session?  I don't remember it.

Gregory Torso

This Youtube channel also has a load more Peel sessions, most of them in really good quality.

Including one Moonshake did in 1992 where Dave and Margaret sang each other's songs. Wicked.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on May 12, 2020, 04:25:26 PM
I played guitar in a band you've never heard of called Greenhouse, we did a session in 1991. And we're not on that list but thanks for posting Jobotic, it'll keep me entertained for ages.

By the way, someone upthread mentioned ...And The Native Hipsters, did they do a Peel session?  I don't remember it.

I remember a band called Greenhouse Of Terror, but they were from a few years earlier.
Like yourself, I don't remember ...And The Native Hipsters having a session, and I think I would have remembered it, being an avid listener of the time. I remember contemporaneous sessions by the likes of 23 Skidoo and Au Pairs , and what have you. JP* used to play that ...ATNH record all the time, so much so that it inspired a one man Indie Barron Knights type to release a satirical song based upon it ( " There's That Record Again"), which JP was also happy to play. The next time he gave airtime to such a record so redolent of indiespoof  was when he gamely played ( just the once, as he emphasised after spinning the disc) " Smells Like Nirvana" by ' Weird ' Al Yankovich (* John Peel, not Jack Whitehall's character on " Fresh Meat", orbviously).

studpuppet

No Peel Session, sorry.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/...And_The_Native_Hipsters

But nothing can compare with the disappointment I had as a nine year old in WHSmiths Radlett, asking the lady behind the counter to look through her thick book of record releases for the 'Annative Hipsters' or 'Concorde' and failing miserably.

Pranet

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on May 12, 2020, 04:25:26 PM

Did you or someone else in Greenhouse roadie for the Wedding Present by any chance? If so I have heard of you but I have not ever heard your stuff, which I apologise for. If am I right, I remember Greenhouse being mentioned in the sort of official fanzine The Wedding Present did for a bit.

Pingers

Quote from: Pingers on May 11, 2020, 09:24:50 PM
Fucking hell Jobotic, what a trove thanks. Going to start with that 1988 King of the Slums session, that was a belter.

Christ that took me back. A great session, like many others has an immediacy that some of the proper releases lack - best version of Venerate Me Utterly I've heard.

Also excellent is the Death by Milkfloat session, despite the fairly shonky audio.

The A Witness one is decent but but their best output

Chriddof

Quote from: studpuppet on May 12, 2020, 10:59:46 PM
But nothing can compare with the disappointment I had as a nine year old in WHSmiths Radlett, asking the lady behind the counter to look through her thick book of record releases for the 'Annative Hipsters' or 'Concorde' and failing miserably.

My younger sister once went into HMV to ask if they had anything by Renaldo & The Loaf, and just got laughed at. (This was around 2002 / 2003, at least a decade before that Residents-associated act had their records reissued.)