Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peel Sessions

Started by jobotic, May 11, 2020, 01:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: Chriddof on May 13, 2020, 04:54:23 AM
My younger sister once went into HMV to ask if they had anything by Renaldo & The Loaf, and just got laughed at.

cunts. one of the best bands in the world

Quote from: Pranet on May 12, 2020, 11:19:49 PM
Did you or someone else in Greenhouse roadie for the Wedding Present by any chance? If so I have heard of you but I have not ever heard your stuff, which I apologise for. If am I right, I remember Greenhouse being mentioned in the sort of official fanzine The Wedding Present did for a bit.

Yes, our singer roadied for them in their early days - Simon their drummer played on our first single a bit later on when we were drummerless for a while, and we supported them on the first leg of their 'Bizarro' tour after that. Please don't apologise for not having heard us, not many other people did either - there are bits and pieces on Youtube but I've finished spamming this thread!

God, those Polvo / Josef K / Fire Engines sessions were glorious, and I've only scratched the surface.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: chveik on May 13, 2020, 04:55:35 AM
cunts. one of the best bands in the world

I don't think they'll have had a John Peel session. Not with a name like that.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Has anybody else set themselves the task of listening to all of these sessions in order? I' m thinking of cheating, and skipping the ones by A Flock Of Seagulls, Tears For Frears and the fucking Flying Pickets. Just finished bending my lugs to the second 70 Gwen Party session.This might take a while.

Pingers

Sort of, although I'm also listening to some out of order. The first 14 Iced Bears one is great, the second one less so. The session by 1919 is the first thing I've heard by them and will also be the last.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Pingers on May 17, 2020, 08:10:20 PM
Sort of, although I'm also listening to some out of order. The first 14 Iced Bears one is great, the second one less so. The session by 1919 is the first thing I've heard by them and will also be the last.

Those 14 Iced Bears sessions took  me back the halcyon days of 1986, a strapping young lad singing " lalalala" quite unabashedly and shamelessly, while I was actually pleasantly surprised by the 1919 session, although all the YouTube commenters below it pointing out that Killing Joke called and would like their sound back were pretty accurate.

Jockice

Quote from: Pingers on May 17, 2020, 08:10:20 PM

1919 were from Keighley. That's a piece of useless information I've had in my head since the early 80s.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 17, 2020, 09:16:17 PM
Those 14 Iced Bears sessions took  me back the halcyon days of 1986, a strapping young lad singing " lalalala" quite unabashedly and shamelessly, while I was actually pleasantly surprised by the 1919 session, although all the YouTube commenters below it pointing out that Killing Joke called and would like their sound back were pretty accurate.

I was going to say their first singles were on Killing Joke's own label. But that was of course Ski Patrol. Oops!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That Big Country session can fuck off, an all.
John Peel's taste went a bit wonky around 1983/84. He even played a Pete Waterman- produced record around that time. Played a record by  Wham! just the once, too.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 20, 2020, 01:02:05 PM
John Peel's taste went a bit wonky around 1983/84. He even played a Pete Waterman- produced record around that time. Played a record by  Wham! just the once, too.
OI! I have a very soft spot for Big Country I'll have you know. Mind you, I can only remember about half a dozen of their songs nowadays.

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on May 18, 2020, 06:59:27 AM
1919 were from Keighley. That's a piece of useless information I've had in my head since the early 80s.

And the drummer of course went on to be Sir Colonel Tom Moore.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jockice on May 20, 2020, 06:46:58 PM
OI!

That reminds me; two- count 'em- two sessions by the Cockney Rejects, the unthinking man's Sham 69 ( who themselves did at least one session for yer man. They kindly changed the chorus of one of their in- sessiion songs from " Fuck All" to " John Peel", wasn't that nice of them?)
Might give those two sessions a  miss, too.

Jockice

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 21, 2020, 12:11:01 AM
That reminds me; two- count 'em- two sessions by the Cockney Rejects, the unthinking man's Sham 69 ( who themselves did at least one session for yer man. They kindly changed the chorus of one of their in- sessiion songs from " Fuck All" to " John Peel", wasn't that nice of them?)
Might give those two sessions a  miss, too.

Rather bizarrely I have a soft spot for that lot too.

SteveDave

Wasn't "Plug Myself In" by D.O.S.E. (feat. MES) produced by PWL? He would've played that at some point.

Famous Mortimer

My era was the mid 90s, so I remember the Pavement session where they played "The Classical" and Peel talked about it making his old heart happy, or something of that sort.

I stopped listening to Peel because I was broke and couldn't afford to buy the 5 or so fantastic things I'd hear every show.

Pingers

I'm starting to think that my commitment to listening to all of these may turn out to be a monumental act of self-flagellation, but I'm the sort of Jack Torrance fucker who finds it hard to back out of a contract, however ridiculous it is. What I Have Learned Tonight: 23 Skidoo had more artistry than I ever suspected; 3 Inches of Blood are, despite some decent heavy guitar work, laughable metal-by-numbers bollocks that I thought had been left in the 1980s. Worth listening to, but try stifling your giggles at the back there.

buzby

John Peel's taste went a bit wonky around 1983/84. He even played a Pete Waterman- produced record around that time.
It was the fantastically quirky The Upstroke by Agents Aren't Aeroplanes (released on the indie Hi-NRG label Proto) which sounds nothing like anything they would start shitting out at the end of the decade. He also played Divine's You Think You're A Man in the same year (also a PWL production released on Proto).
Quote from: SteveDave on May 21, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Wasn't "Plug Myself In" by D.O.S.E. (feat. MES) produced by PWL? He would've played that at some point.
He played it s few times at the end of 1995 and into 1996, and featured at #44 in the 1995 Festive Fifty. However it wasn't produced by S/A/W, it was produced by D.O.S.E (Simon Spencer) and Johnny Jay at PWL's Manchester studio and released on PWL's dance sublabel Coliseum.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 21, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
My era was the mid 90s, so I remember the Pavement session where they played "The Classical" and Peel talked about it making his old heart happy, or something of that sort.

Pavement's Peel sessions were always good, much better than anything on their records (post-S & E anyway) and tended to feature songs they made up on the day that never appeared anywhere else. Circa 1762, Brink Of The Clouds, The Sutcliffe Catering Song - classics. Great version of the Silver Jews "Secret Knowledge Of Back Roads" in one of them, as well.

the science eel

but their version of 'The Classical' is absolute fucking dreck

Gregory Torso

Yeah, think that was a bit later. At least Malkmus left out the n-word.

jobotic

I remember recording Sonic Youth's Fall covers session. I was into SY before The Fall. I loved it.

Do Americans say "window sills"? If not what do they say?

studpuppet

Quote from: jobotic on May 22, 2020, 10:52:04 AM
I remember recording Sonic Youth's Fall covers session. I was into SY before The Fall. I loved it.

Do Americans say "window sills"? If not what do they say?

Available as 4 Tunna Brix. I seem to recall them making up lyrics in My New House because they didn't know them?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Pingers on May 21, 2020, 11:59:45 PM
I'm starting to think that my commitment to listening to all of these may turn out to be a monumental act of self-flagellation, but I'm the sort of Jack Torrance fucker who finds it hard to back out of a contract, however ridiculous it is. What I Have Learned Tonight: 23 Skidoo had more artistry than I ever suspected; 3 Inches of Blood are, despite some decent heavy guitar work, laughable metal-by-numbers bollocks that I thought had been left in the 1980s. Worth listening to, but try stifling your giggles at the back there.

I'm surprised Peel was a fan of 3 Inches Of Blood, It's from his penultimate year as a DJ ( and being alive), too. " I wish I could sing like that" he says after one of the songs, in an affectionate way.
You're going to listen to *all* The sessions, Pingers? including all the Fairport Convention ones, the Family one and the Jethro Tull One? I've already skipped the 999 one. Good to hear that top tune " I Love You, Mr. disposable Razors" by A Witness after all these years, though.
The AC Acoustics session contains lots of pre- song Peel talk, including the beginning and endings of records he plays between the session songs, which is nice.
Adam and the Ants' pre- " Kings Of The Wild Frontier" Artrock has proved to be surprisingly durable. Peel was quite a fan, y'know.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 22, 2020, 08:55:27 AM
Pavement's Peel sessions were always good, much better than anything on their records (post-S & E anyway) and tended to feature songs they made up on the day that never appeared anywhere else. Circa 1762, Brink Of The Clouds, The Sutcliffe Catering Song - classics. Great version of the Silver Jews "Secret Knowledge Of Back Roads" in one of them, as well.
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if the untitled track off the 12" of Cut Your Hair ever got released anywhere else? They've done plenty of 2-disc special editions of their albums, but nothing leaps out.

Pingers

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 22, 2020, 11:29:17 AM

You're going to listen to *all* The sessions, Pingers? including all the Fairport Convention ones, the Family one and the Jethro Tull One? I've already skipped the 999 one.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by some, although I am a man of laudable aims and laughable achievements, so we'll see.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 22, 2020, 03:48:42 PM
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if the untitled track off the 12" of Cut Your Hair ever got released anywhere else? They've done plenty of 2-disc special editions of their albums, but nothing leaps out.

Not as far as I can tell. You can search their entire discography on Discogs and the only place 'untitled' turns up is on that CYH 12.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 22, 2020, 05:58:59 PM
Not as far as I can tell. You can search their entire discography on Discogs and the only place 'untitled' turns up is on that CYH 12.
My copy of the 12" was sold / given away before I moved, but from reading this thread I was seized with a desire to listen to it again. All the versions of it on Soulseek are minus the extra track. Ah well.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 22, 2020, 03:48:42 PM

It looks like it wasn't included on any of the reissues. From wikipedia -

QuoteThe unlisted B-side track on the 12" version of the single is an instrumental recording of "Rain Ammunition," and has never been reissued.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gregory Torso on May 22, 2020, 06:26:28 PM
It looks like it wasn't included on any of the reissues. From wikipedia -

Good work that man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bw287dOVGM

Has an "opening credits of Taxi" vibe to it.