Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:02:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A safespace in which to talk about how much I hate Shem(youtube advert comedian)

Started by Misspent Boners, May 11, 2020, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorry for such a niche and self indulgent thread...its just I really dont know who to turn to right now and am nearing my wits end...getting to the point where I'm actively not going on YouTube in case I have to see one of his shit video ads again...and that's incredibly likely because they seem to be occurring at a rate of about 80% if not more.

Theres this nigerian comedian called mc shem, who is somehow running  a constant system of ads on YouTube...youtube adverts are annoying enough, but these are on another level mainly through sheer oversaturation. If I'd seen one or 2 they probably wouldn't have registered, but theres a high chance they will play when I go on youtube...its this guy shem dressing up as his own pantomime dame mum and they have a brief back and forth "shem, how old is your father?" "We're the same age" "what are you talking about you idiot" "he became a father on the day I was born"
That's not funny and inherently a different question to what your fake mum asked you fucking dolt. I know it sounds petty but when you're subjected to these ads 10+ times a day it makes you want to cry.

For the record, for all I know nigerian comedy is maybe completely different and maybe massively under represented and if that's the case then best of luck to the guy, but these sketches irritate the fuck out of me. How has he even managed to get to this level of advertising wherein it's around 90% of my youtube ads? I even checked out his youtube channel (fascinatingly unfunny) and his ads were playing during his own videos. The comments on his videos are all saying how annoying the whole advert situation is so hes really shot himself in the foot. Over advertising is indisputably detrimental in the end.

Phew! Rant over. Anyone else dealing with this shit?

Sebastian Cobb

Don't see ads if you use adblock. Can use adblock in mobile Firefox too.

I know that's not all that helpful but I've been using adblock since before YouTube was a thing, and it surprises and disgusts me on the rare occasion I see an ad on there.

kittens

forgot there was adverts on youtube. this problem has a very easy solution. listen to professor cobb.

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 11, 2020, 04:47:07 PM
Adblock works for the Youtube app on Android?

Newpipe is a good alternative

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 10, 2020, 12:46:26 PM
I use Newpipe on my Android phone, no ads and I can have an adjustable floating screen. When I click a youtube link on CAB it just pops up and I can carry on reading the thread if I wish.

Also it can play in the background which is great for music as you don't have to keep the screen on.

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 11, 2020, 04:47:07 PM
Adblock works for the Youtube app on Android?

Yeh; have adblock on my laptop but predominantly peruse youtube on the app my phone, which as far as I'm aware is un-adblockable

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 11, 2020, 04:58:48 PM
Newpipe is a good alternative

Ah sorry we mist have posted at the same time. This is wondrous news...I cant stand one more second of that fucking Shem...thinking about it I wonder if youtube would purposefully make the ads as persistently irritating as possible to get us to sign up to youtube premium...I was getting to the point of going for the free trial.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 11, 2020, 05:01:55 PM
I'm getting a lot of ads from Epoch Times, kind of enjoy them.

That's what's made it more annoying; asked a few people and they havent been subjected to them, although alarmingly one mate started getting them shortly after we spoke on facebook messenger about it...think I need to take a long hard look in the mirror in regards to why I fit into the demographic for this shit...the "Shemographic" if you will

https://youtu.be/x_s2DZaLjHc for the record here is one of his golden moments...you know those contrived prank vids that all youtube people do now where its staged to the point of feeling half hearted? Well this is one of those but with Shem and his friends pranking his own fake mum.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 11, 2020, 04:31:35 PM
Theres this nigerian comedian called mc shem, who is somehow running  a constant system of ads on YouTube...youtube adverts are annoying enough, but these are on another level mainly through sheer oversaturation. If I'd seen one or 2 they probably wouldn't have registered, but theres a high chance they will play when I go on youtube...its this guy shem dressing up as his own pantomime dame mum and they have a brief back and forth "shem, how old is your father?" "We're the same age" "what are you talking about you idiot" "he became a father on the day I was born"

I laughed. It's the way you tell em!

Pijlstaart

I read this and assumed it would be MC Shem. Instead it is McShem, with the scottish Mc, lowercase c. That alone lured me in, very intriguing. It is watchable, but no standout moments and no semblance of plot. Destined for ITV.

Quote from: Pijlstaart on May 11, 2020, 05:17:56 PM
I read this and assumed it would be MC Shem. Instead it is McShem, with the scottish Mc, lowercase c. That alone lured me in, very intriguing. It is watchable, but no standout moments and no semblance of plot. Destined for ITV.

Ah but the m was lower case to so where does that leave us?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 11, 2020, 05:00:02 PM
Yeh; have adblock on my laptop but predominantly peruse youtube on the app my phone, which as far as I'm aware is un-adblockable

I use the browser on my phone to watch YouTube videos because it blocks ads.

canadagoose

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 11, 2020, 05:03:05 PM
Ah sorry we mist have posted at the same time. This is wondrous news...I cant stand one more second of that fucking Shem...thinking about it I wonder if youtube would purposefully make the ads as persistently irritating as possible to get us to sign up to youtube premium...I was getting to the point of going for the free trial.
Newpipe is pretty great, but do bear in mind that you have to install F-Droid (do a Google for it to find it) to install it. It's not on the Play Store for reasons I'm sure you can imagine.

Fr.Bigley

Cuellar

Youtube Vanced is another adblocked youtube app for android, you can even close the app and the video keeps playing

dissolute ocelot

Fuck, for work-related reasons I've been watching YouTube via my work VPN a lot, and all I get are adverts for fractional share buying services and occasionally Grammarly. I'd kill for a Nigerian comedian telling dad jokes. (I think installing ad blockers is frowned upon despite the obvious advantages to the company of not getting inundated by crap.)

Zetetic

Why?

I'd have thought most places would be glad of the reduced IT risk.

For reference, for browsers you'd want to use uBlock Origin probably:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/#installation

Where do these people get their money from and why do they never keep some of it aside to make their stuff watchable?

"Yes, we have enough cash to carpet bomb YouTube with ads or to place the BEN channel in a prime spot with all the mainstream entertainment channels on the Sky EPG, but we can't afford a boom mic and have to film everything on a Hi-8 camcorder we found in a skip."

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 13, 2020, 10:59:11 AM
Where do these people get their money from and why do they never keep some of it aside to make their stuff watchable?

Someone answered that Nigerian prince email.

buttgammon

Every time I see this thread title, without exception, I think of Shem the Penman and Shaun the Postman from Finnegans Wake. Maybe that's where this bad advert comedian got his name from?