Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Autechre live streaming on Twitch

Started by Sean Ymphs, May 11, 2020, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Crumb

New album's out and rather good. Quite Oversteps-like in the sounds it uses, very light on beats, some massive sounding synths.

purlieu

It's kind of what I actually wanted Oversteps to sound like. Always felt that was a little too shiny, a lot more grit in the textures this time.
Fan theory is that its partner album with green art - which is probably due next year - will be the complex beaty one.

The Crumb

Beats seems the natural focus for the companion album, which kind of makes me hope they spring something more surprising. That said, an album of tt1pd style bangers would be a-ok.

kidney

Really wanted to love this but so far I'm just not that into it, it feels very safe and kind of forgettable. Tracks like F7 and esc desc don't do anything for me and unfortunately seem like aimless synth noodling. Though I do like the final minute or so of F7 when it goes a bit Rae.
I think the flow of the album is surprisingly awkward, aside from M4 Lema and r cazt which are clearly defined opening and closing tracks, most tracks could really go in any order to little effect because they're so abrupt and it feels like each has its own idea/sound that, to me at least, don't carry over to build up to one whole great experience.
I guess overall I'd like the beat-y tracks to bang harder and the pretty, melodic tracks to be more melodically progressive.

best tracks: M4 Lema, si00, au14, gr4, r cazt
worst tracks: F7, esc desc

Hundhoon

I heard a song from 1997 by Autechre the other day it literally sounded about a month old.
I Like their early 90s material  i think they went a bit too abstract in the early  00.s but their later stuff Quarstice??  sounded really good to me.

really like their recent more drone like Ambient stuff too.
their 2016 European tour recordings are really interesting very, very minimal, uncomfortable and unsettling can be rather scary. slow burning.

purlieu

Quote from: purlieu on October 10, 2020, 11:49:32 AM
its partner album with green art - which is probably due next year
Well, I guessed that one wrong. Physicals up for pre-order today and digitals out already. Off to listen to this on headphones...
It's called PLUS. SIGN PLUS. The fact that there's an Autechre meme on WATMM based around the phrase "Sean pls" it's hard not to see it as them trolling their fans again.

purlieu

Quote from: The Crumb on October 10, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
Beats seems the natural focus for the companion album, which kind of makes me hope they spring something more surprising. That said, an album of tt1pd style bangers would be a-ok.
It's the beaty album.

It's really good on first listen. Not as dense as Exai but a similar mix of beats with subtle melodic stuff going on in the background, with a couple of SIGN-style gloopy synth tracks in there. I think it's probably the better of the two, definitely more varied than SIGN.

boki

purlieu

kidney

Yeah really liking PLUS

the autechre twins have done it again