Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Posts Mortem: Dying on Transphobia Hill 4: The (g)Room(er)

Started by madhair60, May 11, 2020, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cuellar on May 12, 2020, 02:37:44 PM
Dunno about the Ladyboys bits in Partridge, but 'The Crying Game' seems to have been a bit of a cultural touchstone for him (was it a big deal when it came out?

I have a vague memory of the knob reveal being a globally parodied thing, similar to certain scenes in Pulp Fiction being very well known and discussed at the time.

phes

spending every day waiting for a letter telling you that you are being sued because your husband keeps calling children groomers on the internet doesn't seem an emotionally sustainable state of affairs, not least when you have kids to feed. If she has left him, then good for her. He's pissing away everything he has, ironically over an argument about where people can piss

idunnosomename

I know all that there is to know about the crying game :(

franticplanet

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 12, 2020, 03:06:27 PM
I have a vague memory of the knob reveal being a globally parodied thing, similar to certain scenes in Pulp Fiction being very well known and discussed at the time.

It was hugely parodied. The entire ending twist of Ace Ventura (which has consequently aged worse than anything) was a reference to it. Rewatching that scene in I'm Alan Partridge with Glinner in the back seat as Partridge speculates about "a man with a fanny" now is like seeing old footage of Chris Benoit landing on his head.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 12, 2020, 02:42:34 AM
To be precise, it was

(from https://www.instagram.com/p/B_94F0RDLcV/)

Nice to see Thomas from Pugwash show up in the comments. Christ that guy is everywhere, he must have some dirt on people.  Seconds later I got a targetted ad for his new album on FB.  I'm surprised Icke is yet to say anything about him

damien

Thomas is mates with Neil Hannon too 'interestingly'. Or was, they made a whole album together.

Cuellar

Funnily enough the twist ending to Ace Ventura is etched into my memory, it was a film pre-teen me greatly enjoyed. Obviously I had no idea it was a reference to anything. I suppose I just thought 'lady with a nob' was a standard comedy trope.

I don't want to try and pretend that 7 year old me was proto-woke but I do remember being pretty confused at the visceral reaction the twist provoked in the other characters. Spontaneous vomitting, I seem to recall, and jumping into the sea? "Oh ok, that's really disgusting is it? Righto"

phes

In the past three days the rate at which glinner has been losing followers has reduced by around 400%

Graph that

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: thr0b on May 12, 2020, 02:36:38 PM
I remember really liking the show at the time, but I remember little of the episodes. The special was terrible. And the DVD menus were brilliant. If the DVD ever gets picked off the shelf again, it'll be to look at the menus.

I enjoyed the first series but nothing after, the trans woman episodes side plot of the idiot non techies freaking out at the destruction of the internet was good but the rest of that episode spoiled it.

The first series dvd has leet subtitles for at least the first episode which i enjoyed at the time now i couldn't care less

mippy

The ironic thing about the whole grooming undergrads thing is....if you were the young adult child of one of the people hurling abuse on Twitter, and were struggling with your own gender identity, you'd be exactly the kind of student who wouldn't feel safe having that discussion from the family home.

here4glinner

Quote from: mippy on May 12, 2020, 03:34:11 PM
The ironic thing about the whole grooming undergrads thing is....if you were the young adult child of one of the people hurling abuse on Twitter, and were struggling with your own gender identity, you'd be exactly the kind of student who wouldn't feel safe having that discussion from the family home.

Glinner defender Sian would throw you out of the house and never speak to you again if you were a baptised Jehovah's Witness and you realised you were gay.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Thomas on May 12, 2020, 01:39:00 PM
I don't think we need to psychologically probe from a distance for any secret transitional desires. The origins of his obsession have been summarised quite well, trailing back to that episode of The IT Crowd. As Barry and others have witnessed and documented, he already had the reputation of a serial 'Twitter policeman'. It seems that a confluence of criticism, social media, and personal idiosyncrasies have driven our Graham into this particular ravine - but if that ep of The IT Crowd had been about something else, who knows?

Yes, he repeatedly states that he was "#cancelled" for that episode, and so seems to blame the controversy for his lack of comedy success since, making trans women the ideal scapegoat. 

Regards the cancer and his lost ball though - and bearing in mind he's a world-class control freak and grievance-collector - I do sometimes wonder if he's also resentful of some trans women electing to have orchidectomy, given that he didn't really have any say in the matter when it came to his own condition.

idunnosomename

as funny as sian for being a crazy old lady is the "follow every rule and belief of your parents before you can afford to have your own home" was really quite sinister

Barry Admin

Quote from: phes on May 12, 2020, 03:26:53 PM
In the past three days the rate at which glinner has been losing followers has reduced by around 400%

Graph that

Yeah it's fascinating, isn't it?  Now you actually get to see how many hundreds of people a day say "Nope, fuck this guy and his obsessive bullshit" vs bot accounts and such being removed.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Thursday on May 12, 2020, 02:03:46 PM
This is the thing though, it was funny when you thought the joke was that Matt Berry's character was completely accepting of it... and as I think it was Goldentony here pointed out - the mishearing gag it turned out to be would have been so much better if the country had been Oman.

Totally agree with this.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Thursday on May 12, 2020, 02:03:46 PM
This is the thing though, it was funny when you thought the joke was that Matt Berry's character was completely accepting of it... and as I think it was Goldentony here pointed out - the mishearing gag it turned out to be would have been so much better if the country had been Oman.

I do a billion percent take umbrage with this. The mishearing joke works perfectly fine. And Iran is a country that the character and loads more of the audience will have heard of compared to Oman for the misunderstanding to work. Iran is often pronounced so it rhymes with 'a man' whereas Oman isn't as commonly spoken about and is probably only ever pronounced as 'Omahhn'.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cuellar on May 12, 2020, 03:25:40 PM
I don't want to try and pretend that 7 year old me was proto-woke but I do remember being pretty confused at the visceral reaction the twist provoked in the other characters. Spontaneous vomitting, I seem to recall, and jumping into the sea? "Oh ok, that's really disgusting is it? Righto"

To be fair I'd guess most 7 year olds wouldn't have a full idea of what genitals are even for so would not necessarily realise the full impact of the scene.

Ferris

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 12, 2020, 04:06:30 PM
I do a billion percent take umbrage with this. The mishearing joke works perfectly fine. And Iran is a country that the character and loads more of the audience will have heard of compared to Oman for the misunderstanding to work. Iran is often pronounced so it rhymes with 'a man' whereas Oman isn't as commonly spoken about and is probably only ever pronounced as 'Omahhn'.

But if you take umbrage with the rhyme there (fair enough), the entire sentence preceding it wouldn't rhyme ("I am from" vs "I used to be").

Quibbling only the last word's assonance misses the point that the whole line is shit.

madhair60

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 12, 2020, 04:07:21 PM
To be fair I'd guess most 7 year olds wouldn't have a full idea of what genitals are even for so would not necessarily realise the full impact of the scene.

When I saw it as a kid, I thought the joke was that she had fully shit herself. I'm not making this up.

kittens

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 12, 2020, 04:06:30 PM

yes. also part of the joke is it is quite a silly thing to mishear 'i used to be a man' or whatever as. the fact that it doesn't sound like 'i'm from iran' is on purpose.

kittens

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2020, 04:15:23 PM
But if you take umbrage with the rhyme there (fair enough), the entire sentence preceding it wouldn't rhyme ("I am from" vs "I used to be").

Quibbling only the last word's assonance misses the point that the whole line is shit.

no! i refuse to believe this was accidental. part of the joke is it would be very hard to mishear the one thing as another.

Barry Admin

Quote from: damien on May 12, 2020, 03:23:27 PM
Thomas is mates with Neil Hannon too 'interestingly'. Or was, they made a whole album together.

He had a few accounts on here as well, I've just had a brief look back as it ties into this whole saga, oddly.

Thomas was invited to play at Glinner's wedding, and posted the photos up on here, evidently with Graham's permission.  They showed Chris Morris having a boogie, and were warmly received by all.  Anyway, things got icky because Thomas tried to promote his new record and website on CaB, and a moderator locked his thread.  Thomas felt it unfair that people were allowed to embed their comic strips on the creative forum and couldn't see any difference.  This led to much griping at me.  Then when the IT Crowd brought Matt Berry onboard, I had just found out about Linehan's blog. 

Regrettably, I went on there and, being accustomed to forum discourse, made a very blunt post about how awful I thought that episode was.  Graham has hated CaB ever since, which is fair enough.  By this point Thomas had irritated some of the posters with name-dropping and frequent mentions to Linehan's wedding, and then he used the Linehan blog thing to attack me:

Quote from: Sadness on September 02, 2007, 05:01:32 AM
Neil, you've hit yet another low in your steady decline on here, obviously posting pretty negatively on Graham's blog and knowing it would be seen/deleted and yet again playing the fucking innocent.....

It's not the first time you've done this and you should have FAR more cop-on and or decorum as the moderator of an albeit once excellent web-site.

I tend to like to fight my corner when someone has a go, and had endured a fair bit of sniping and passive-agressive backseat moderating by this point, so had a good fucking pop back at him. It's all a bit gross, but click the quote above if you are curious.

He seemed nice enough up until he was told off for trying to promote his music on here, that seemed to be his peak Neil moment :-) His Sian-style loyalty to Linehan then caused it all to boil over.

madhair60

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 12, 2020, 04:21:52 PM
Thomas felt it unfair that people were allowed to embed their comic strips on the creative forum and couldn't see any difference.

Because the cunt has never produced anything that's up to the excellent standard of my MS Paint comics, that's the fuckin difference

mr. logic

Quote from: Cerys on May 12, 2020, 02:56:20 PM
Not joking.  Kids have odd ways of interpreting things if adults don't take the time to explain.  A kid knowing only that Mum and Dad are stressed, and picking up only fragments of what's going on, responds in all kinds of weird ways, and the 'tell me' and 'I can be helpful' responses are two of the most common ones from articulate children.  The problem is that it places the adults in the position of having to deal with the questions, incomprehension and useless offers of help at a time when they're still trying to get their heads around the problem themselves, and they can end up responding in ways that the unstressed people they were before it all happened just ... wouldn't.  Does that make sense?

Yes. It's possibly quite an interesting topic, but a few times people have mentioned his testicular cancer with a mocking, almost gloating, tone and it's really horrible. You weren't doing that obviously. But. I don't know...seems an unnecessary thing to bring up in the context of what an obvious cunt he is.

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on May 12, 2020, 04:21:46 PM
no! i refuse to believe this was accidental. part of the joke is it would be very hard to mishear the one thing as another.

But then you're just "mishearing" entire sentences based on the final syllable.

"I'm going to stay an extra hour in bed"
"What's that, Ferris is a giant dickhead?"

And even if you accept that theory (not the me=dickhead one, that's a fact), it makes even less sense to quibble Oman/Iran because it doesn't really matter

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2020, 04:15:23 PM

I got the sense that the Dennis Reynholm is simply that much of a bad listener or that he made himself believe that the trans character said something completely different. Either way it's farcical in a way that's fitting ŵith his character.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on May 12, 2020, 04:16:12 PM
When I saw it as a kid, I thought the joke was that she had fully shit herself. I'm not making this up.

That would actually have been a much funnier ending.

Ferris

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 12, 2020, 04:33:46 PM
I got the sense that the Dennis Reynholm is simply that much of a bad listener or that he made himself believe that the trans character said something completely different. Either way it's farcical in a way that's fitting ŵith his character.

Ok contrary to my previous point, I think that makes sense. I stand by my "Oman/Iran not mattering" point though

Hand Solo

It's lucky for Linehan he wasn't papped buying the ingredients to make meatballs then, or imagine the photoshops.