Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Posts Mortem: Dying on Transphobia Hill 4: The (g)Room(er)

Started by madhair60, May 11, 2020, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urinal Cake

I think most of her fans love her books/movies/merch more than trans rights so she's safe. She'll be this generation's Dahl.

idunnosomename

Matt! Matt!
https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/1269406524461527040

when of course Lucas has a lot of blackface hanging over him at the moment. now is the time. at this absolute axiomatic moment of black lives matter. what do you think of this j.k. rowling thing.

Chollis

ugh god he's creaming himself. i hate seeing him happy

Ferris

I liked it as a child, but I also enjoyed Blink 182 and watching The Generation Game with my nan.

Once you mature to, say, 13 you realize what a load of old shit all of this is. But it's a building block. Started at the bottom now we're here.

chveik

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 07, 2020, 12:20:46 AM
I think most of her fans love her books/movies/merch more than trans rights so she's safe. She'll be this generation's Dahl.

depressingly true. she's the uncancellable one

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on June 07, 2020, 12:22:25 AM
ugh god he's creaming himself. i hate seeing him happy

He's living in a travel tavern and his personal life is suffering. If this is victory, it's a bit fucking grim.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Urinal Cake on June 07, 2020, 12:20:46 AM

Mugglenet called her out earlier https://www.mugglenet.com/2020/02/why-i-believe-j-k-rowlings-tweet-was-transphobic/

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 07, 2020, 12:22:44 AM
I liked it as a child, but I also enjoyed Blink 182 and watching The Generation Game with my nan.

Once you mature to, say, 13 you realize what a load of old shit all of this is. But it's a building block. Started at the bottom now we're here.

Imagine thinking you're too cool for Blink 182. Your nan was right.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: chveik on June 07, 2020, 12:13:19 AM
I actually loved Harry Potter as a kid, but I've learned that I'm in the minority here.

No I can admit that that at one point they meant a lot to me, however long ago. Only struck me for the first time today that these books had a real personal intimacy to me. Something that on reflection I associate with my father reading to me in a multitude of voices and as much as nostalgia is hideous, yeah it's there. It's... painful to reconcile those memories with the fact that the woman who wrote them is attached to a radical right that advocates, at its logical end-point, the entire removal of my actual legal personhood.

Twit 2

It's the same with Star Wars, which is also objectively shit. It's youth that's good, not cod fantasy. Nostalgia can render any old shite a gem.

I imagine that a lot of her fans are young enough to be on the right side of the gender stuff whilst also young enough not to realise HP is S4C. I can see this causing a bit of conflict for those people.

bgmnts

Don't forget most of these potter fans are quite infantilised, still in their late 20s or early 30s and not really maturing as quickly as previous generations.

Maybe they would stick with Rowling, despite her tendencies to be a massive cunt because of this.

Dewt

This is why you should be Moomin fans. Nobody's going to be cancelling Jansson.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: jenna appleseed on June 07, 2020, 12:28:41 AM
Mugglenet called her out earlier https://www.mugglenet.com/2020/02/why-i-believe-j-k-rowlings-tweet-was-transphobic/
That's good. I guess my point is I don't think she'll ever get 'cancelled' in the way Linehan has. She is far too popular and makes far too much money.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

keir

Jeez, some classic moronic TERFery in the replies to JKR:

WOMAN: Stop talking.
TERF: That's right, silence the woman. We're not allowed a voice.

popcorn

Quote from: keir on June 07, 2020, 01:31:01 AM
WOMAN: Stop talking.
TERF: That's right, silence the woman. We're not allowed a voice.

Both infuriating lines

BritishHobo

The pure single-minded arrogance of the timing of this is breathtaking. The shit that's going on right now in the world, and this is what Rowling, with her enormous audience and influence, has decided is important to post today?

BritishHobo

Also Rowling's pretty much already been a joke online for a while now. Even people who aren't big fans see her mainly as someone who keeps trying to add things to the Harry Potter canon to seem progressive - something I used to quite fiercely defend her against. I think among the people who actually engage with this topic, her reputation is already parodied enough that I don't think many fans will be defending her.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on June 06, 2020, 11:51:47 PM
"For the first time in my life"?!
He's trying to make a self-deprecating joke about being a fatty.

Rowling's name has been mud for a while to a lot of people I follow online for reasons beyond transphobia, hopefully there will be some cooperation in the backlash.

mippy

Interesting - what other reasons? I've seen talk of her books having threads of racism and antisemitism in them.

Tempted to reply to one of these weapons who go on about "what is a woman?" with 'I know I'm a woman because I feel like I am one?' and then watch them shit themselves when they realise the person they're accusing of being a perv and a misogynist has an original issue fanny. But that's it, isn't it? I've never questioned my identity, and I'm lucky enough that my outsides match that.

Zetetic

phantom_power

Has Rowling made any statements on BLM and all that is going on at the moment? If not it is doubly shit that she chooses to say this now

Jumblegraws

Quote from: mippy on June 07, 2020, 09:00:01 AM
Interesting - what other reasons? I've seen talk of her books having threads of racism and antisemitism in them.

Tempted to reply to one of these weapons who go on about "what is a woman?" with 'I know I'm a woman because I feel like I am one?' and then watch them shit themselves when they realise the person they're accusing of being a perv and a misogynist has an original issue fanny. But that's it, isn't it? I've never questioned my identity, and I'm lucky enough that my outsides match that.
Yeah, the clumsy writing of ethnic minority characters in her books is a big one. And the general contempt for putting out the literary junkfood that is the Harry Potter series (I mean, I liked all the books as a youngster, but even then I recognised it for the unchallenging pap it is). And she pissed off a lot of us Scottish Independence supporters, but that's a bit more of a partisan issue.

Armin Meiwes

Funnily enough when my wife's 16 year old Spanish second cousin came to stay with us for a couple of weeks last summer (getting farmed out to your relatives abroad being a big thing in Spain apparently) I was trying to figure out places she could go and knowing she was a Potter-head I was suggesting she go to Harry Potter World but she was all "Nah don't want to go there now that Rowling is a FUCKING TERF". A year ago!