Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Posts Mortem: Dying on Transphobia Hill 4: The (g)Room(er)

Started by madhair60, May 11, 2020, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandadeath

There are some worrying things in the Tavistock report, neglecting to report incidence of parental child abuse and sexual assault to social services being the most alarming one. But Glinner's lot seem to be fixated on the two incidences of homophobic parents trying to push a trans identity on their children. There was no indication that either of these cases ever proceeded as far as recommending puberty blockers. They seem to be ignoring that the Tavistock provides a variety of pathways, the majority of which don't include medical intervention - likely just ongoing support or counselling instead.

What really grates with me is that they constantly bring Mermaids into the conversation, trying to drag a vital children's charity through the mud. They're so warped that they believe a support charity is just a front for brainwashing young gay and lesbian children into becoming trans.

Jumblegraws

Glinner's done a few self-aggrandising tweets calling for some sort of apology for how he was treated during his leg-twitching turn on Newsnight because #GlinnerWasRight, but Newsnight had already laid into the Tavistock last summer https://youtu.be/1bIt5MQIozc

Blue Jam

Quote from: apopheniac on June 19, 2020, 06:25:36 AM
What bothers me about his attacks is that they're usually about failure to adhere to sexist beauty standards, while he claims to defend women. Wish the many lesbians he's friends with would call him out on that, but I suspect they stop being his friends the moment they do.

Yes, it's weird to see Linehan and other self-proclaimed feminists trying so hard to rigidly define womanhood. For years feminists have been against notions that you're not a real woman until you've given birth, that you're somehow faulty if you're infertile (or "barren"), can't breastfeed or don't menstruate. Notions that women should look and dress and behave a certain way to fit in with an acceptable idea of femininity. Now Glinner et al are policing gender roles quite happily- "people who menstruate are called women", "women can't grow beards" (even if they have PCOS or other conditions), "women don't go bald" (except they can, and female-pattern baldness is a thing) "women have large immobile [sic] gametes", Glinner's memes about "blue-haired gender-fluid TRAs".

it's clear when Glinner calls people "MRAs" and "incels" he has no idea what these terms actually mean beyond things that feminists call some men they disagree with. Not only in Glinner technically an incel himself now, with his policing of gender roles he has more in common with MRAs than he realises.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: pandadeath on June 19, 2020, 02:20:51 PM
There are some worrying things in the Tavistock report, neglecting to report incidence of parental child abuse and sexual assault to social services being the most alarming one.

Beeb says that with no citation at all. Beeb also says right at the top "The Trust said it had not identified any immediate issues in relation to patient safety or the overall approach taken by the gender identity service".

Article is BS and all over the place tbh. "Clinicians reported worries that some patients were referred onto a gender transitioning pathway too quickly." Refer to my last post re: waiting times.

pandadeath

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on June 19, 2020, 02:36:46 PM
Beeb says that with no citation at all. Beeb also says right at the top "The Trust said it had not identified any immediate issues in relation to patient safety or the overall approach taken by the gender identity service".

Article is BS and all over the place tbh. "Clinicians reported worries that some patients were referred onto a gender transitioning pathway too quickly." Refer to my last post re: waiting times.

Yeah, those who assert that anybody is rushed through transition has clearly never done any research on trans healthcare in this country. The increase in awareness and referrals in the last few years has not lead to an increase in funding or available services, it has simply overwhelmed an already swamped system and ballooned waiting times to an absurd degree.

In regards to the Tavistock report I wasn't taking it all as fact I just thought it was shocking that Glinner completely overlooked the apparent negligence of child safety and latched onto the gay conversion angle instead, really shows them up for what they are.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jumblegraws on June 19, 2020, 02:29:13 PM
Glinner's done a few self-aggrandising tweets calling for some sort of apology for how he was treated during his leg-twitching turn on Newsnight because #GlinnerWasRight, but Newsnight had already laid in the Tavistock last summer https://youtu.be/1bIt5MQIozc
lol he compared them to Nazis and Joseph Mengele.

ishantbekeepingit

If only I had had the foresight to tell my parents when I wanted a Barbie doll like my sister had, I could have saved myself an awful lot of bother.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I absolutely believe there's at least one set of parents whose response to their child doing something "gay" was to march them to a doctor while yelling "IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH DOLLS SO MUCH HOW ABOUT WE CUT OFF YOUR WILLY AND YOU CAN JUST BE A GIRL". Because there's bound to be one, isn't there. And there's probably at least one set of parents who, on seeing an apparent pattern of "gender non-conforming" behaviour (probably in a boy because hardly anybody in this part of the world bats an eye at a little girl who wears jeans and plays with trucks), perhaps assumed transness - with the best of intentions! - and took them to counselling instead of speaking to their kid. Because again, there's bound to be one. And I honestly don't know what I'd do in a parallel universe where I have a ten year old daughter who wants to dress like a boy and have her hair cut like a boy viz a viz waiting to see if it's something she grows out of or whether I'd immediately try to find out if I had a son all along and didn't know.

From what trans people say themselves, some of them know from an early age they're trans, some figure it out later, some are non-binary before transitioning to another gender, some identify as cis gay folk before transitioning, some are non-binary, transition and are still non-binary. Maybe the thing to do is to teach kids about it so that if they are trans they're able to articulate that. Teach them about non-binary identities so that they don't feel this mythical pressure to transition.

Maybe if we're really concerned about confused kids being unnecessarily pumped full of hormones and given surgeries they later regret, cis-cietey needs to calm down and stop insisting on enforcing a rigid gender binary.

Linehan doesn't give a shit about defending or protecting anyone, he just wants to be told Sorry and Thank You by every woman in the world.

I almost wish this could be simulated just so he could finally wank himself to death.

here4glinner

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on June 19, 2020, 03:55:12 PM
Linehan doesn't give a shit about defending or protecting anyone, he just wants to be told Sorry and Thank You by every woman in the world.

I almost wish this could be simulated just so he could finally wank himself to death.

Maybe they could make a series of Twitter bots that reply to Glinner with 'right on!' 'Thank you for your courageous stance.' 'This is very funny! You've still got it!' and one or two 'I disagree with you' bots, then shadowban him. He can then spend the rest of his days getting his ego propped up by an automated service and arguing with some respectful robots without this polluting the rest of the world.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: here4glinner on June 19, 2020, 04:11:37 PM
Maybe they could make a series of Twitter bots that reply to Glinner with 'right on!' 'Thank you for your courageous stance.' 'This is very funny! You've still got it!' and one or two 'I disagree with you' bots, then shadowban him. He can then spend the rest of his days getting his ego propped up by an automated service and arguing with some respectful robots without this polluting the rest of the world.

Making an army of bots who only passively aggressively respond by saying, "You're as smart as you were when you wrote Father Ted," eventually that would drive him insane.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: here4glinner on June 19, 2020, 04:11:37 PM

army of bots plus Sian, he'll always have Sian

here4glinner

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on June 19, 2020, 05:37:09 PM
army of bots plus Sian, he'll always have Sian

this time in 2021 she'll have converted him to a Jehovah's Witness

he might even be leading the Watchtower by 2022

dead-ced-dead

Since Katie Hopkins has been permanently suspended, I wonder if Glinner is starting to panic? There's always been an assumption that big Twitter accounts may get a few day suspension, but were near untouchable past that point. I wonder if he's starting to panic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/katie-hopkins-twitter-suspended-deleted-account-blue-tick-verified-a9576041.html

pandadeath

Bet he'll let her have an account on Glindr, turn it into a real bastion of hate speech.

What outlet does Hopkins have for her offensive drivel now anyway? She's been sacked by every organisation she worked for and now won't have a Twitter account to abuse people with.

here4glinner

I used to worry that lefties were the biggest threat to free speech, but now I think that rightwingers insisting that every private platform provides them with a voice is making a mockery of the concept. If Twitter has to allow Katie Hopkins then I see no reason why a Mosque shouldn't be forced to let Tommy Robinson take the pulpit, or the Sun shouldn't be forced to let me publish an opinion piece in it.

Back when I used to post on another BBS as a young teenager, the older teenagers that moderated it knew more about free speech than the average British journalist.

g0m

here4glinner

Quote from: g0m on June 19, 2020, 08:33:00 PM
..hah?

kinda felt like they didn't hold the concept to any importance. Freeze peach, and all that. I'm sure if I mention Count Dankula, there's someone here that thinks he got what he deserved for his YouTube joke video.

bgmnts

Quote from: here4glinner on June 19, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
kinda felt like they didn't hold the concept to any importance. Freeze peach, and all that. I'm sure if I mention Count Dankula, there's someone here that thinks he got what he deserved for his YouTube joke video.

So if Katie Hopkins went "its just a joke like on top gear" it'd be all alright or...?

here4glinner

Quote from: bgmnts on June 19, 2020, 08:41:43 PM
So if Katie Hopkins went "its just a joke like on top gear" it'd be all alright or...?

I don't know what point you're trying to make. Katie Hopkins wasn't prosecuted. She just got banned off Twitter. I wouldn't object to YouTube deleting Dankula's video. Which was very clearly a joke.

Just to be clear, free speech is about the state restricting your speech.

Mister Six

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 19, 2020, 03:49:02 PM
From what trans people say themselves, some of them know from an early age they're trans

When I was five or so, I used to play with a wee lad of the same age who would tell me "I'm a girl!" Being five and confused about the whole thing, I assured him he was a boy and he disagreed. Then we stopped talking about it and played with his toy penguins.

Dunno where s/he is at now, but I hope it's a good place, literally, physically and emotionally.

Mister Six

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 19, 2020, 06:43:25 PM
Since Katie Hopkins has been permanently suspended, I wonder if Glinner is starting to panic? There's always been an assumption that big Twitter accounts may get a few day suspension, but were near untouchable past that point. I wonder if he's starting to panic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/katie-hopkins-twitter-suspended-deleted-account-blue-tick-verified-a9576041.html

What's the difference between permanently suspended and banned?

chveik

Quote from: here4glinner on June 19, 2020, 08:39:11 PM
kinda felt like they didn't hold the concept to any importance.

quite the contrary. it's the far right that don't give a fuck about it, they just like to say horrendous shit without any repercussions. the concept of freedom includes limitations to said freedom.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Mister Six on June 19, 2020, 09:55:43 PM
What's the difference between permanently suspended and banned?

I'm not sure there is, I just think the phrases are sort of used interchangeably.

here4glinner

Quote from: chveik on June 19, 2020, 10:08:44 PM
quite the contrary. it's the far right that don't give a fuck about it, they just like to say horrendous shit without any repercussions. the concept of freedom includes limitations to said freedom.

definitely true. People in the main only care about restrictions on speech when it's speech they want to say. On a related note, people think Dankula is also fair game to get prosecuted cos he was photographed with Tommy Robinson and stood for UKIP, so he's a bad guy, so fuck his jokes.

I think that people now really struggle to empathise with their opponents. This leads them to assume their opponents are either inherently immoral or being deceitful. Which in turn leads them to thinking those opponents should be censored for the good of society.

Linehan is a cunt, though. Man should be censored for the good of himself and his children, let alone the people he victimises.

here4glinner

Shows how ideologically bereft he is that he tried to block people from raising money for Nazi Pug Joke Man's defence by trying to compel JustGiving to take down the fundraising page. Then, one day, he got prosecuted for the crime of harassment, with an actual victim, and he became all cap-in-hand, head-bowed, ''I'm very sorry Dankula, but now I'm a victim of the woke stasi too! Forgive my sins for I knew not what I had done. Please send some alt-right fans my way, for now I am an avid defender of free speech."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on June 19, 2020, 10:39:44 PM
I think that people now really struggle to empathise with their opponents.

This leads them to assume their opponents are either inherently immoral or being deceitful. Which in turn leads them to thinking those opponents should be censored for the good of society.

Social inequality among ordinary people is the mother of this just as much as social media gives voice to it.

Different sections of society who would previously have mixed almost without an option now really have very little to do with each other.

Residential areas are ghettoised (buy-to-let landlordism has added another dimension to this), schools are meticulously discriminated  by sharp-elbowed middle class parents to the point where there is, literally, a shit school for poor people and a good school for middle class whiter people, all in the same supposed state system and national curriculum.

All the English institutions that brought the next class up or below together have lost significance as to be irrelevant. Church - gone. Social club/sports club - gone. British seaside holiday - gone. Even the English pub, the supposed paragon of democracy is being broken up into class strata by the pubcos and breweries that own them. Go into Leeds for example and see for yourself just how many working class people venture into craft beer bars or conversely how many middle class white kids go into Craft Union or Sam Smiths pubs - increasingly few.

Social media makes everyone who belongs in a certain group feel like that group is sizeable and to be reckoned with. For a long time during the early 90s to the late 00s there wasn't really a cohesive group that emerged from the 'red wall' because the right had completely overlooked the prospect that these people may become politically useful to them. We endured a respite only because they were so completely disregarded that the Conservatives themselves never thought about appealling to them. No longer. We're in deep shit.

By the way, I also don't see any point in dismissing these people as though they are knuckle draggers or calling them retards. It never worked in the past, it isn't going to now. The way the left come back is by co-opting civic pride and national identity and attaching it to positive things.

Twit 2

Agree with all that, except:

"literally, a shit school for poor people and a good school for middle class whiter people"

Is a little simplistic. The reality is a bit more nuanced (although just as bleak). The short 1am explanation is that what makes a school good is far harder to measure than people think: Ofsted, parents and the senior leadership teams of schools being the worst offenders for thinking they know, when they really, really don't. The sad thing is that it doesn't matter if an RI school is actually a great place to send yer sprog, or vice versa an outstanding school is a regimented hell-hole: the mere fact that people think they are is enough to fuck things up economically and distort everything.

In some ways this is more insidious and intractable than a situation with a literal bad school ("If we had more funding, we could fix the leaking roof.") and good school ("If we improved social mobility, more poor kids could go there.") I fear things are fucked on a much deeper level. It's not gluing the broken bit of Ming vase back on; the porcelain could fit through a sieve. It's powder now, and a Tory in a diving bell is ensuring it's hadopelagically gone.