Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner Posts Mortem: Dying on Transphobia Hill 4: The (g)Room(er)

Started by madhair60, May 11, 2020, 10:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: here4glinner on May 12, 2020, 01:53:02 PM
People used to say the same thing about homophobes, and it turns out to be true in a handful of cases, but quite often they're just hateful. It might sound like mean-spirited and small-minded speculation, but I once used the advanced Twitter search to see what he was talking about when he revealed he lost a testicle to cancer, and people he now hates because they disagree with him on the trans subject were offering their condolences. He might have expressed some negative views on trans people before then but it does seem like his monomania began around this time.

It's certainly when his monoballia began!!

Yes, it's tempting to speculate that Glinner is secretly dying to be trans etc but I think it's just indulgent thinking. Most likely he's just dug himself a trench.

phes

To be fair to Graham he is diversifying his hatred now and roping in anyone with interests at all shared by the trans community.

here4glinner

It sometimes takes a cancer diagnosis to show you what's important in life, like ignoring your family so you can call strangers beards and pedos on Twitter as part of a concerted campaign to insult trans women.

Thursday

Quote from: thr0b on May 12, 2020, 01:49:51 PM
Also, regarding that episode of the IT Crowd. It wasn't entirely unfunny. The joke was 90% on Matt Berry's character and the farce element of him apparently being accepting of his girlfriend's transition while not actually knowing about it.

This is the thing though, it was funny when you thought the joke was that Matt Berry's character was completely accepting of it... and as I think it was Goldentony here pointed out - the mishearing gag it turned out to be would have been so much better if the country had been Oman.

FredNurke

It would also have been funnier if he'd lost the fight. And still problematic, but at least interestingly so, if this turned him on and he changed his stance, only to be told to fuck off.

popcorn

Quote from: Thursday on May 12, 2020, 02:03:46 PM
This is the thing though, it was funny when you thought the joke was that Matt Berry's character was completely accepting of it... and as I think it was Goldentony here pointed out - the mishearing gag it turned out to be would have been so much better if the country had been Oman.

That's one of the things I find so bewildering about this - the original gag is so fucking shite.

thr0b

Exactly. And it could have worked well because you would expect Douglas, being entirely hyper sexual to really not care at all about his girlfriend being trans.

And even then, if the writer wasn't so thin-skinned, any issues would largely have been forgotten within days and chalked down to  just being a misfiring 23 minute sitcom episode.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: here4glinner on May 12, 2020, 02:01:40 PM
It sometimes takes a cancer diagnosis to show you what's important in life, like ignoring your family so you can call strangers beards and pedos on Twitter as part of a concerted campaign to insult trans women.
That's the saddest part. He had this terrible, scary disease that cost him a body part. I had to have a big molar pulled three years ago because it quietly rotted beside its neighbour and I still feel that permanent loss. I can't imagine how much worse it must be to lose something so intimate. And this is what he chooses to do with his time now, instead of spending it with his children.

Cerys

'Da, Mammy said you're having an operation!'
'Ay, so I am.'
'She says they're cutting off your balls, Da.'
'Did she, now?'
'Does that mean you'll be a lady instead, Da?'
'No, no it means - '
'Because someone without any balls is a lady, aren't they?  Even if they used to have balls.'
'No, they fucking aren't.'
'Why are you cross, Da?  Is it because you'll have no balls?  You can borrow some from my toy box if you like.  There are blue ones and pink ones and ... you'll be wanting pink ones, won't you, if you're going to be a lady now.  Da?  Da?  Should I call you Ma instead, now?  Da?  Da?  Where are you going?'

And the rest is history.

chveik

Cerys

Mister Six

Quote from: Thursday on May 12, 2020, 02:03:46 PM

I hate to give Linehan credit for anything these days, but I do wonder if it was originally Oman, but some exec had never heard of the place an told him to use Iran instead.

Quote from: FredNurke on May 12, 2020, 02:06:27 PM
It would also have been funnier if he'd lost the fight. And still problematic, but at least interestingly so, if this turned him on and he changed his stance, only to be told to fuck off.

Yeah, there are ways to do that story that aren't utterly hateful and horrible, and that's one of them. But as you say, it would still be problematic - the very concept that "transwomen are great girlfriends because they're actually blokes who like burping and beer and footy but they also look pretty"[nb]I still believe that the core of Linehan's Twitter obsession is his need to be correct at all times, and his frustration at having publicly done a silly, but this aspect of the plot, and the business with him trying to chat up Game Girl only to find out that she's bald and has a beard, makes me wonder if there's some kind of attraction/self-hatred thing going on there... he didn't write the "Alan's ladyboys" bit in I'm Alan Partridge, did he?[/NB] is all kinds of fucked up. As, obviously, is the idea that a cis man vs a transwomen is a fair fight because they're both fellas.

Zetetic

Quote from: thr0b on May 12, 2020, 01:49:51 PM
As it stands, people only remember two episodes of the IT Crowd - the musical and the trans episode, and the latter not for good reasons at all.
I think I remember that Benedict Wong was in one of them. I've probably not seen that or the two mentioned.

Mister Six

Wasn't he in the Countdown/Fast and the Furious episode? That one was quite funny.

thr0b

I remember really liking the show at the time, but I remember little of the episodes. The special was terrible. And the DVD menus were brilliant. If the DVD ever gets picked off the shelf again, it'll be to look at the menus.

Cold Meat Platter

The best bit in the whole thing is where Chris Morris does his funny jump out the window.

Cuellar

Dunno about the Ladyboys bits in Partridge, but 'The Crying Game' seems to have been a bit of a cultural touchstone for him (was it a big deal when it came out? I was too young to notice). There's the already mentioned reference in the episode of Partridge that he's in, and it comes up again in the Passion of St. Tibulus episode of Ted: https://youtu.be/gT9xuXQjxMM?t=40

thr0b

Quote from: Cuellar on May 12, 2020, 02:37:44 PM
Dunno about the Ladyboys bits in Partridge, but 'The Crying Game' seems to have been a bit of a cultural touchstone for him (was it a big deal when it came out? I was too young to notice). There's the already mentioned reference in the episode of Partridge that he's in, and it comes up again in the Passion of St. Tibulus episode of Ted: https://youtu.be/gT9xuXQjxMM?t=40

Yeah, in the 90s it was a frequently referred-to comedy "bit", internationally as well.

mr. logic

Quote from: Cerys on May 12, 2020, 02:26:35 PM
'Da, Mammy said you're having an operation!'
'Ay, so I am.'
'She says they're cutting off your balls, Da.'
'Did she, now?'
'Does that mean you'll be a lady instead, Da?'
'No, no it means - '
'Because someone without any balls is a lady, aren't they?  Even if they used to have balls.'
'No, they fucking aren't.'
'Why are you cross, Da?  Is it because you'll have no balls?  You can borrow some from my toy box if you like.  There are blue ones and pink ones and ... you'll be wanting pink ones, won't you, if you're going to be a lady now.  Da?  Da?  Should I call you Ma instead, now?  Da?  Da?  Where are you going?'

And the rest is history.

Think the cancer jokes should be given a rest, tbh.

Mister Six

Quote from: thr0b on May 12, 2020, 02:40:59 PM
Yeah, in the 90s it was a frequently referred-to comedy "bit", internationally as well.

The only one I remember was in Naked Gun 33⅓, but I'm sure it was.

idunnosomename

Quote from: thr0b on May 12, 2020, 02:40:59 PM
e.g. Ace Ventura

Endicott

I took a couple of days off from the glinner threads and now there are 40 pages of posts to read. Bit much lads!

The thing about the twitter suspension is a rumour, is that right?

Also the thing about his wife leaving him, also a rumour, yes?

Hand Solo

The Crying Game is such an odd film, starts off all about the Irish Troubles then jumps sideways into all the trans stuff, same with Neil Jordan's other film Breakfast On Pluto but in reverse. Regular viewing round Casa Linehan I wonder?

here4glinner

Quote from: Endicott on May 12, 2020, 02:45:42 PM
I took a couple of days off from the glinner threads and now there are 40 pages of posts to read. Bit much lads!

Both don't seem like rumours but here's some pretty conclusive proof that Helen has left him; she's using her maiden name and 'liked' some rando on Instagram congratulating her on the divorce.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 12, 2020, 02:46:07 PM
The Crying Game is such an odd film, starts off all about the Irish Troubles then jumps sideways into all the trans stuff, same with Neil Jordan's other film Breakfast On Pluto but in reverse. Regular viewing round Casa Linehan I wonder?

Sexuality in Neil Jordan films must be a good PhD topic. Mona Lisa is about all kinds of very horrible stuff with an underage prostitute; there's The Company of Wolves and The Butcher Boy; The End of the Affair is about sex and God; and High Spirits is probably about ghost sex or something. But at least Jordan has developed and explored these things seriously, I kind of feel the Glinner Story is going to end with him sectioned after running amok at Blackpool's Funny Girls grabbing people's cocks.

Cerys

Quote from: mr. logic on May 12, 2020, 02:41:04 PM
Think the cancer jokes should be given a rest, tbh.

Not joking.  Kids have odd ways of interpreting things if adults don't take the time to explain.  A kid knowing only that Mum and Dad are stressed, and picking up only fragments of what's going on, responds in all kinds of weird ways, and the 'tell me' and 'I can be helpful' responses are two of the most common ones from articulate children.  The problem is that it places the adults in the position of having to deal with the questions, incomprehension and useless offers of help at a time when they're still trying to get their heads around the problem themselves, and they can end up responding in ways that the unstressed people they were before it all happened just ... wouldn't.  Does that make sense?

phes

social blade was showing the other day that his posting just stopped and subsequently 7 posts were removed/hidden. Those posts seen to follow the theme of him calling people groomers. It seems almost certain that he's frozen out of his account until he deletes/appeals the tweets. He was also threatened with legal action by a 17 year old girl who he had called a groomer, and subsequently acknowledged and ignored her request that he remove the post. This could be one explanation why he has remained silent on other platforms

Jumblegraws

His Twitter account has been limited because he pushed it with some tweets. There's been some confusion because the effect of this - he can get onto his Twitter account but can't really do anything with it - has been described variously as a suspension, but in  strictly Twitter parlance a suspension pretty much means a banning, and that hasn't happened yet.

The split from his wife stuff is somewhere between rumour and open secret at the moment. His wife liked a comment posted on her instagram that alluded to an imminent divorce. Jordan Brookes made a crack about him being estranged from his wife that gave the impression of it being gossip that's on the comedy grapevine.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Mister Six on May 12, 2020, 02:32:06 PM
As, obviously, is the idea that a cis man vs a transwomen is a fair fight because they're both fellas.

Are you saying transwomen are inherently weaker and less skilled at fighting than cis men? Sounds a bit transphobic to me.