Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Will this be shit we reckon?

Started by Consignia, May 12, 2020, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

The professional skate boarder/Stand up comedian has announced a re-release of the classic games in 4K coming this Sept.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4paYDD0WIVY&t=0s

Used to love the games back in the day, but they did sour quite quickly around the HD age. IIRC there already was a re-release of these two games before, as THPSHD. Didn't bother with it, and I believe it was pretty wank.

So will it be worth 360 ollie northing into, or just 180 backflipping away from? 

Answer: it'll be shit.

Bazooka

I'll buy it, I haven't played a skating game since Underground on GameCube. They were incredibly addictive.

Ferris

I'm dead excited for this now. The original games were fucking brill.

Dewt

I only really played 4. Do the first two have open-world conversations like that did? I don't think they do. I liked that because it was a very gen-x skater punk atmosphere and very insensitive (mostly involved abusing homeless people) which was a bit of an escape. Paired well with Beavis and Butthead and being dumb. Probably couldn't remake that one with its original script.

kittens

Bazooka

Quote from: Dewt on May 12, 2020, 06:22:48 PM
I only really played 4. Do the first two have open-world conversations like that did? I don't think they do. I liked that because it was a very gen-x skater punk atmosphere and very insensitive (mostly involved abusing homeless people) which was a bit of an escape. Paired well with Beavis and Butthead and being dumb. Probably couldn't remake that one with its original script.

The levels were quite contained in the first 2 especially 1, 4 was developed when Jackass was massive, Bam Margera was playable,had a shopping trolley challenge etc.

I only had 3 and I loved it. I'm off to Google what was on the soundtrack and feel a bit nostalgic.

kittens

back in my initial 2 week self isolation in february i watched this horrible big fat gamer on you tube rate every single tony hawks level ever over the course of a 3 hour video. it was horrible but it definitely sated any latent desire to revisit the series. ultimately saved me a lot of time setting up old consoles. recommended for anyone considering buying this game.

Consignia

Quote from: Bazooka on May 12, 2020, 06:31:27 PM
The levels were quite contained in the first 2 especially 1, 4 was developed when Jackass was massive, Bam Margera was playable,had a shopping trolley challenge etc.

Bam was in 3, and that was in the arcade style of 1+2. 4 went open world, but with arcadey bits. And Underground onwards, it was full on open world. Underground was pretty much the only one that was full Jackass, though.

kittens

underground 2 was the totally jackass one. underground 1 was a much more grounded affair

Dewt

I don't think we should go another minute before mentioning that THPS5 was one of the biggest fuck yous in modern gaming. Contractual obligation-developed sub-mobile game shit sold at AAA price for as long as they could trick people for.

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on May 12, 2020, 06:57:48 PM
underground 2 was the totally jackass one. underground 1 was a much more grounded affair

2 was the best though right? Getting into the mega secret Skate Heaven
Spoiler alert
and then jumping into the volcano to get to the even more secret area
[close]
, doing the unlockables in the School one was great fun.

It came at a time when games didn't tell you exactly what to do, there were little Easter eggs everywhere and it rewarded nerds who went looking for them.

Jerzy Bondov

4 was my favourite. Nice to see this is by Vicarious Visions instead of the chancers who took it over from Neversoft. VV did the amazing GBA and DS games so they know what they are doing (assuming there is even one person left there from (looks it up) 2007?! fucks sake)

peanutbutter

Doing 1+2 seems like a cynical starting point tbh cos it suggests they've a 3+4 combo already in mind. Iirc THPS1 is hugely broken if you include manuals and utterly infuriating if you exclude them?

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 12, 2020, 07:59:49 PM
4 was my favourite. Nice to see this is by Vicarious Visions instead of the chancers who took it over from Neversoft. VV did the amazing GBA and DS games so they know what they are doing (assuming there is even one person left there from (looks it up) 2007?! fucks sake)
Done the two Crash remakes there last year though

Consignia

Each subsequent game certainly makes the previous one slow due to added mechanics. Manuals mean you can chain tricks for longer, on top of that reverts make it easy to keep going after a big ramp trick, and the final insult is the ability to get off your skateboard if you're about to bail so you just walk to somewhere easier and start again.

Dewt

I cannot imagine how you even play a Tony Hawk game without manuals and reverts.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on May 12, 2020, 08:22:44 PM
I cannot imagine how you even play a Tony Hawk game without manuals and reverts.

Badly

madhair60

Can't wait. VV are ace. THPS is ace. Lights out. Gorilla radio. Churn that clit up.

The Crumb

Looks promising, hopefully they will balance the goals for the mechanics from later games. From the trailer it looks like there's stuff up to 4 included, which would make the high scores from 1 a joke.

buttgammon

3 was my favourite - I created my own skater called Tundra=Shit on it for some reason; there was one blazing hot summer when I spent virtually the entire school holidays playing it.

Consignia

It's good to see some enthusiasm for this. I wrote the OP with the some cynicism because of how THPSHD and THPS5, both of which came off the back of old school nostalgia. I still can't shake that nagging feeling that it could still turn out shit even with a decent dev behind it (which I didn't take not of before posting). But really happy to be proven wrong here, as I loved the series back in the day.

kittens

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 12, 2020, 07:25:54 PM
2 was the best though right? Getting into the mega secret Skate Heaven
Spoiler alert
and then jumping into the volcano to get to the even more secret area
[close]
, doing the unlockables in the School one was great fun.

It came at a time when games didn't tell you exactly what to do, there were little Easter eggs everywhere and it rewarded nerds who went looking for them.

Sadly, no, you are wrong. Underground 1 was the best one ever. All other ones were much worse than this one.

madhair60

There's some gameplay in the new Jablinski Games video and it looks pretty fuckin' good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I5baEQbX6Y

Jerzy Bondov

No ragdoll??? NO SALE. Tony Hawk's Project 8 fans represent.

Quote from: Consignia on May 13, 2020, 12:00:54 PM
It's good to see some enthusiasm for this. I wrote the OP with the some cynicism because of how THPSHD and THPS5, both of which came off the back of old school nostalgia. I still can't shake that nagging feeling that it could still turn out shit even with a decent dev behind it (which I didn't take not of before posting). But really happy to be proven wrong here, as I loved the series back in the day.

I've got good hopes for this one. I know Hawk was really unhappy with HD and 5 being shite which is why he didn't renew his licence with Activision back in 2015. For him to have come back means he must be happy with what he's seen.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Dewt on May 12, 2020, 08:22:44 PMI cannot imagine how you even play a Tony Hawk game without manuals and reverts.
I ended up incorporating so many flatland, Natas spins and wall-plants into combos I'd struggle to play without those. Flatland particularly, which I think was introduced properly in THPS4. I remember games of HORSE with friends ended up being who could keep their balance for longest doing ridiculously long strings of flatland to continue the combo after the timer ran out.

Hopefully the 1&2 label is mainly the due to the stages, I'm hoping the gameplay borrows more from the later games, but I can see them leaving out a lot of the more convoluted stuff.

I've had a craving to play these again for a couple of years, finally bought a PSP a couple of months ago and there are PS1 roms of both. I was expecting TH1 to be shit because of lack of manuals but it held up really well and felt great and I didn't miss them at all, the only negative I remembered was the frustration of finding all the fiddly things within a 2 minute time limit but soon got used to that.

TH3 is the one I'm waiting for, the feeling of grinding rails in the airport is one I've wanted again for agesss so hopefully this is a success and they do more.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: thelittlemango on May 13, 2020, 01:31:56 PM
the feeling of grinding rails in the airport is one I've wanted again for agesss
I think there is a smartphone app you can get for that.

Dewt

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 13, 2020, 12:51:20 PM
I ended up incorporating so many flatland, Natas spins and wall-plants into combos I'd struggle to play without those. Flatland particularly, which I think was introduced properly in THPS4. I remember games of HORSE with friends ended up being who could keep their balance for longest doing ridiculously long strings of flatland to continue the combo after the timer ran out.

Hopefully the 1&2 label is mainly the due to the stages, I'm hoping the gameplay borrows more from the later games, but I can see them leaving out a lot of the more convoluted stuff.
Yeah, I don't think I could play the games without pre-THPS4 mechanics.

I love that game, it's a little slice of a lost era.

madhair60

A couple of years ago I bought up the Xbox versions for my 360 as they're all backwards compatible. I sort of want to hook it up now and play THUG.