Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Will this be shit we reckon?

Started by Consignia, May 12, 2020, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

I loved these back in the day, but after the elegance of Skate's use of the analogue sticks completely blew them out of the water (well, that and the fucking parkour nonsense in whatever version of TH that was), I think I'll find it hard to go back. Hopefully this will be hugely popular and prompt EA to bring Skate out of cold storage for the PS4 at the very least.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

madhair60

Skate is shit and everyone who likes it can just fuck off.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: madhair60 on May 14, 2020, 03:42:53 PM
Skate is shit and everyone who likes it can just fuck off.

Wrong. Your opinion is wrong and you can do one.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 14, 2020, 05:26:22 PM
Wrong. Your opinion is wrong and you can do one.

Don't mind madhair60.  He's just doing that thing he does where he disingenuously says "that thing you like, which is also generally well regarded, is shit" because he thinks it's somehow hilarious for reasons only known to himself.

kittens

madhair is right. skate is not fit to shine tonty hawk's DCs

Ferris

Jim Bob

Quote from: kittens on May 14, 2020, 06:03:41 PM
madhair is right. skate is not fit to shine tonty hawk's DCs

To be fair, I've never played it.  I'm just weary of madhair60 wading into yet another thread and disingenuously proclaiming that something someone likes is "shit".  It's his shtick.  I'm not sure that anyone other than him finds it funny though.

Of course, it's always possible that this is the sole exception to the rule and madhair60 actually does genuinely consider Skate to be shit.  In which case, it's a little bit 'the boy who cried wolf shit' at this stage.

madhair60

it is shit though. i don't want to simulate my inability to do a kickflip, i want to grind a helicopter's blades and perform a spine transfer into molten lava

also i have never ever previously said anything was shit, you must be thinking of someone else.

Jim Bob

Quote from: madhair60 on May 14, 2020, 06:35:29 PM
also i have never ever previously said anything was shit, you must be thinking of someone else.

Pfft.

PFFT, I say!

Thursday

I couldn't get along with Skate for the same reason I can't get along with Street Fighter, I'm looking at a prompt telling me to waggle a stick in a certain way to do a certain move, and I'm repeatedly trying to match it, but it isn't doing the move, despite attempt after attempt after attempt. I try all sorts of variations to match what it could be trying to tell me to do, and then eventually I might stumble upon it, but even then trying to repeat it with much consistency just isn't happening.

Fuck that then I'll do then one where you press a button and it does a move rather than the one where you're punished because your stick movement was a billionth of a millimetre off.

Thursday

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 14, 2020, 06:11:09 PM
To be fair, I've never played it.  I'm just weary of madhair60 wading into yet another thread and disingenuously proclaiming that something someone likes is "shit".  It's his shtick.  I'm not sure that anyone other than him finds it funny though.

He should probably find someone who does and do a podcast with them.

Pro Skater 3/4 were by far the best ones but I cant remember ever playing them without cheats on

Jerzy Bondov

The carnival level in THPS4 had a swamp area and if you lingered in there a terrifying low poly alligator with a gaping pink mouth would fucking scuttle out and go GRRRRRR and try to GET YOU. Horrific scenes.

Thursday

I'm always confused because I had the PS1 versions of 3 and 4, which were just graphically downgraded versions of the PS2 one's people talk about.

DiClassomo

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 14, 2020, 02:14:02 PM
Would rather a Skate 2+3 remaster and PC port.

Take a look at Session. Still in early access so a bit rough and the controls take a while to get used to (turning is mapped to the triggers) but it's great fun when you do, very rewarding to pull off even a simple line.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 14, 2020, 06:05:34 PM
Nail on head.

You can fuck off as well*

Skate is far better than THPS. Have you actually played the first two in the last 15 years? They play like total dogs dangles. Not saying the Skate games have aged that well, but the cartoonish elements definitely balance nicely with the 'realistic' board control.

Quote from: DiClassomo on May 14, 2020, 08:21:25 PM
Take a look at Session. Still in early access so a bit rough and the controls take a while to get used to (turning is mapped to the triggers) but it's great fun when you do, very rewarding to pull off even a simple line.

Hmmm, not a fan of early access, but I'll take a look.

*not really.

kngen

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 14, 2020, 08:43:24 PM
Skate is far better than THPS. Have you actually played the first two in the last 15 years? They play like total dogs dangles. Not saying the Skate games have aged that well, but the cartoonish elements definitely balance nicely with the 'realistic' board control.

Good, I'm glad someone else hasn't lost their fucking minds and - like a 8 year old - thinks that doing a 1860 heelflip to christ air over a box of fucking tigers and landing in a manual is superior to a perfectly timed impossible to noseslide down a stairset.

Bazooka

I'd love a Dave Mirra (rip) Freestyle remastered, that was lovely fun.

Chollis

Quote from: kittens on May 13, 2020, 12:28:45 PM
Sadly, no, you are wrong. Underground 1 was the best one ever. All other ones were much worse than this one.

kittens is correct. underground 1 came out just at the peak of my skating phase, many fond memories. thanks to this thread i am now attempting to download and install it on my PC and hope it isn't complete shit

madhair60

fuckin Skate, fuck off. jesus christ.

you're damn right i'd rather pop a christ air over tigers, are you kidding me? no no obviously what sounds way more fun is Jason Lee going "ohhh, you fell off again, ohhh, you lost your sponsor". fucking unbelievable. scenes. the scenes in this thread.

edit: that said I hope that for the fans of Skate they do a remaster of it, it will not prevent me playing Hawks

edit 2:
Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 14, 2020, 08:43:24 PMSkate is far better than THPS. Have you actually played the first two in the last 15 years?

i played the second one a few hours ago and it was ace

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

It's fine if you don't like Skate. Some of us design airplanes, some of us clean their bogs.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Thursday on May 14, 2020, 08:16:17 PM
I'm always confused because I had the PS1 versions of 3 and 4, which were just graphically downgraded versions of the PS2 one's people talk about.
I thought they were just THPS2 with simplified versions of the levels from 3 or 4?

Thursday

I meant to write "weren't" there but yeah, the levels were similar but had some differences.

AsparagusTrevor

SKate and THPS are different enities, it's like comparing Gran Turismo to Burnout, or Rainbow Six to Doom.
I didn't get on with Skate myself but that's because I had a decade of THPS muscle memory, I appreciated what Skate was doing.

madhair60

I feel quite chastened by Jim Bob's absolute RAILING of me yesterday so I'm just going to retract "Skate is shit" and replace it with "I played too much THPS to get into Skate".

I do have the third one on Xbox One though, maybe I should take another crack.

bgmnts

I can't remember which Tony Hawk was all Jackass and bailing and that with an amazing varied soundtrack - could be combining two games - but it may be THUG. I like THUG.

Pro Skater 2 was a childhood favourite though.

Consignia

Quote from: bgmnts on May 15, 2020, 01:18:40 PM
I can't remember which Tony Hawk was all Jackass and bailing and that with an amazing varied soundtrack - could be combining two games - but it may be THUG. I like THUG.

Definitely THUG2. It had Johnny Cash and Frank Sinatra on the soundtrack, alongside the usual punk and rap. I prefered it over THUG1, which I felt took itself a bit too seriously, but THUG2 was round the world arcade fun. Even if was a bit too Jackass at times.

madhair60

THUG 2 is to my mind the best of the lot, in terms of how much it offers and how well-crafted it is. A lot of people understandably bounce off the Jackass trappings though.

kittens

underground 2 was total shitshow compared to underground 1. thug 2 is cancelled due to comedy wheelchair man. thug 1 is so kind. thug 2 is fake. thug 1 is reality of skateboarding. these are facts.