Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Will this be shit we reckon?

Started by Consignia, May 12, 2020, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I made a version of myself in THUG2 and I wished so badly that it was what I looked like. Beret. Sleeve tats. Red hair. What a guy. I was a girl in THUG1 though.

DiClassomo

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on May 14, 2020, 08:43:24 PM

Hmmm, not a fan of early access, but I'll take a look.

It's far enough along to be very playable, just needs the performance optimised a bit and some assets gussied up. Not a whole lot there in terms of objectives yet but the game lends itself to self-directed fucking about. Haven't played in a few updates but I think there's an option for Skate controls now and they've started to implement tranny physics as well. Worth a shot I'd say

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: DiClassomo on May 15, 2020, 08:57:27 PM
... they've started to implement tranny physics as well. Worth a shot I'd say

Don't tell Glinner.

Chollis

thug1 is about the soul of skateboarding. stacy peralta. you guys wouldnt understand

kittens

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about enters the thread. RRR.

I can remember playing one of the Tony Hawks games and really loving it. I don't know which one it was so I can't really join in the arguing.
It was either on ps1 or ps2, I think.
I do remember seeing another Tony Hawks game later on and going "Oh wow, they made another one, yes please!"
and it was absolute turkey todds so that was the end of that.

Absolutely no interest in a remake.

Been humming this in the shower the last few days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVZu2U6RcGc&t=139s
The speccy version couldn't handle the music so they helpfully had the soundtrack on the other side of the tape. Once it had finished loading, you just flipped it over and listened while playing :D

madhair60

Set up my 360 and been playing the one I missed first time around, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Fuck me, it's absolutely dreadful! What a piece of shit. Awful, simplistic missions, rigid structure, fucking BMX bits?! What happened there?! Project 8 was waaaaaay better!

kittens

yeah american wasteland sucked. NO LOADING SCREENS but plenty of very long entirely featureless corridors to travel down while it loads. just put in a loading screen lads, really doesn't matter all that much.

Ferris

Indie Nosebone 360 was the best, looked well good and I don't even care it was worth fuck all points

AsparagusTrevor

It was released today, has anyone got this? I've been playing between work - the perks of working from home.

It's really good, nostalgic fun. They've included the moves from later games, but not the superfluous stuff from later later games, so if you're like me your muscle memory will be happy that reverts, manuals, flatland and wallplants are here so it's easy to keep the combos going beyond the ramps and the high score targets don't seem so daunting. There's the option to limit your moveset to THPS 1 or 2 moves only, if you're some kind of skate luddite.

Unfortunately nobody's favourite level Downhill Jam is still here and draws attention to the authentically wonky physics, while its cramped track makes sure you won't be stringing any decent combos together. Customisation is here too, with clothes, decks and special moves to unlock (remember unlocking things?)

Ferris

Consoles are in storage but will be straight on this when I get a chance.

How's the soundtrack?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 04, 2020, 10:20:51 PM
How's the soundtrack?

The soundtrack is huge, much bigger than two games' worth. Lots of returning songs from the first two games, most of what I associate with those are included - stuff like Superman and Jerry Was a Racecar Driver are present and correct. There's some modern songs on there too but some don't fit so well in my opinion. You still have the option of omitting individual tracks from the playlist.

Consignia

Great to hear it's actually good and my cynicism quashed after the last few nostalgia grabs in Tony Hawk's name fell short of the mark. Price is a little rich for me right now, but I'll definitely grab it in a sale.

Bazooka

Yeah I'll grab it at some stage, my usually trusty YouTube reviewers have given it the thumbs up.

Thursday

Yep. Release of this took me by surprise, wasn't sure I was going to bother, but now I've got it ordered.

peanutbutter

Does it split it into two games from the title screen or how does it handle it?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 07, 2020, 09:52:50 AMDoes it split it into two games from the title screen or how does it handle it?

Kind of. It is packaged as one complete game, however the stages are grouped into separate THPS 1 & 2, but choosing levels is the only separation. Custom skaters, challenges, levelling up, unlocks etc are universal.

Bazooka

I think that was a good design decision to have stats etc across both.

AsparagusTrevor

Definitely. I hope if they do a THPS 3+4 it's a DLC pack for this game rather than standalone so we can carry over everything we already have unlocked.

I am well shit, my memories from childhood don't include spamming manual every two seconds and losing momentum. It must be because most of my memories come from the original THPS on Dreamcast.

It is a nice remaster job though, some of the new songs will be switched off very soon but apart from that, good job.

Yeah, this is great, a remaster done well. Also keen for TH3, I just want to skate through the lovely airport.

bomb_dog

Been playing my old copy for the PC of THPS2, with the Cumulative Patch to make it work on Windows 10. It allows you to ramp up the FPS too, and still plays really well. Gonna have to up my leet skillz before bothering with the remake. The cumulative pack link also has a map pack of 1-4 which it can swap-in to allow you to play too.

It's great when a fanbase springs up around a game and gives it an extended life. Supreme Snowboarder had a similar pack of hacks with extra mountains and extended the ability for it to work into Windows 7 territory, though not sure if it will work on Windows 10 now.

Ferris

Capt.Midnight

Loving this so far. The music has made me very nostalgic (aside from Skepta, which is now muted. I'm not a racist, but it just doesn't feel right in the context). The detail in each level is amazing. It feels like every corner of the game has some sort of design feature or unique thing that you just barely glimpse at whilst skating through. I've stopped a few times just to take it all in. The designers had placed a garden gnome in one of the windows of a slightly difficult to access part of the School. The Hangar level has a couple of unlockable areas. I love hidden stuff like that.

I've barely touched the skate park designer, which looks ace, but this game is perfect for just picking up and seshing.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: bomb_dog on September 07, 2020, 04:51:41 PM
Been playing my old copy for the PC of THPS2, with the Cumulative Patch to make it work on Windows 10. It allows you to ramp up the FPS too, and still plays really well. Gonna have to up my leet skillz before bothering with the remake. The cumulative pack link also has a map pack of 1-4 which it can swap-in to allow you to play too.
It's great when a fanbase springs up around a game and gives it an extended life. Supreme Snowboarder had a similar pack of hacks with extra mountains and extended the ability for it to work into Windows 7 territory, though not sure if it will work on Windows 10 now.

Of course, the pinacle of this has got to be THUGPro, which is comprehensive to say the least.

Thursday

This came today, and yes it's great.

Only problem is I remember unlocking the Big Air cheats on the originals and would play with them to the point that I seem to have forgotten that you can't actually do 1080 spins all the time with ease in normal mode.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Thursday on September 09, 2020, 03:51:37 PM
This came today, and yes it's great.

Only problem is I remember unlocking the Big Air cheats on the originals and would play with them to the point that I seem to have forgotten that you can't actually do 1080 spins all the time with ease in normal mode.

You'll be fine once you've fully upgraded your air and hangtime. I fully upgraded stats for my custom skater and now I'm playing with pro skaters, trying to do their challenges, and on default stats it feels like they're all made of lead.