Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,494
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:56:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 - Will this be shit we reckon?

Started by Consignia, May 12, 2020, 05:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 09, 2020, 04:39:06 PM
You'll be fine once you've fully upgraded your air and hangtime. I fully upgraded stats for my custom skater and now I'm playing with pro skaters, trying to do their challenges, and on default stats it feels like they're all made of lead.

Ha you know I only just noticed you can upgrade stats, would have made some bits I was struggling with a lot easier.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, there are some goals with jumps that just don't seem possible without shoving a load of stats into air or speed. Luckily you can alter your stats on the fly, so if you don't have enough spare points to upgrade one stat you'd find useful, you can nick points from another one.

BeardFaceMan

Really enjoying this, possibly the best remaster of an old game I've played. Played the bollocks out of this with my friend back when it first came out and while this game is a lot of fun solo, I do miss having someone to co-op with and people to compete with on leaderboards. I take it they have more plans for the multiplayer mode, it's a bit underwhelming at the moment.

Ferris

Air tricks are still poorly compensated, spamming grinds + manuals seems to be the way to go.

Thursday

Not looked into multiplayer yet, but supposedly they're going to add private rooms at some point, so you won't have to compete with people who put 100 hours a week into it. Don't know if there's plans for more modes though.

Thursday

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 10, 2020, 11:43:26 AM
Air tricks are still poorly compensated, spamming grinds + manuals seems to be the way to go.

This has been what I've found weird so far, I'm sure I used to remember doing a lot more air tricks, the scoring balance seems a little off.

Running together manuals and grinds almost feels like an exploit, but it's the only way to get the high scores.

Consignia

Even with revert? I found that was the game changer in 3 that made air skating viable (as long as you linked with grinds/manuals).

Thursday

Maybe I'm being dumb, but you can't seem to chain grabs into things if you're on a half pipe can you? Didn't seem to be working, but I'm not sure why, but I guess something in my timing must be off.

AsparagusTrevor

You should be able to, but their animations take slightly longer to finish than flips do so it might just be a timing thing, but you should still be able to revert and whatnot from a grab.

Ferris

But you can't keep whizzing along at high speeds if you are in a manual, so you run out of momentum pretty quick unless you can grind and speed up. Air tricks are a bit feeble going at manual speeds, like a pensioner at a skate park.

Consignia

I blame this thread for making me buy this game before it went super cheap. Thanks guys~

Any here's a cool video of someone replicating THPS in real life: https://www.reddit.com/r/nextfuckinglevel/comments/ir5bqa/tony_hawks_pro_skater_in_real_life/

oustropique

Caved on this because I had a coupon from Epic's last sale. If you're wondering whether 60FPS (uncapped on PC) and palpable draw distance is worth it when you could just emulate them and save money, it is. It's the best Tony Hawk game out there, even. Tons of content, challenges, and really well done Create-A-Skater and Create-a-Park modes that make it absolutely worth a look in even if you only have a passing interest in Tony Hawk. I was not that enamored with the originals, but it's a great time.

Something to bear in mind is that you need an internet connection to launch the game. I only found this out when I'd already put a good chunk of time in so I presume a refund is out of the question. The telltale sign is that it tends to lag when you first start it up. Maybe it'll get removed after a while like Denuvo often is, but possible reason for pause - even though the game itself is solid.

kittens

got this now. it's fun to skateboard around, sure, but it's all a bit boring isn't it. go around the thing and do the tasks until the time runs out and try again until you do it all. remake underground for peter's sake. great STORY great TRICKS great GETTING OF THE SKATEBOARD. seen reviews of this where they're like 'they've got rid of getting off the skateboard - GREAT!' well that's not great is it. i want to get off my skateboard sometimes. it can't all be skateboarding. imagine that. you'd get bored

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: kittens on September 13, 2020, 12:28:34 PM
got this now. it's fun to skateboard around, sure, but it's all a bit boring isn't it. go around the thing and do the tasks until the time runs out and try again until you do it all. remake underground for peter's sake. great STORY great TRICKS great GETTING OF THE SKATEBOARD. seen reviews of this where they're like 'they've got rid of getting off the skateboard - GREAT!' well that's not great is it. i want to get off my skateboard sometimes. it can't all be skateboarding. imagine that. you'd get bored

Yeah that's my general take away. I'm enjoying it and it a great remaster, but the gameplay variation is not doing it for me. Skate 3 on the other hand...

Thursday

Must admit, it's been a lovely nostalgia hit, but it's hard to see much long-term appeal beyond doing all the tasks. Good thing I got a physical version really.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I've had a solid 16 hours out of this and it feels absolutely rinsed. All that's left is obscure challenges and trying to get a big combo score. Gonna need to update the multiplayer mode to get people to keep playing this.

I agree that it's easy to rattle through the tasks and open up the next levels but there's still all the obscure ones to get, the gaps and grinds. I used to love putting free skate mode on and trying to find every single gap or special/unique task on the list along the way and think that will keep me busy for quite a while.

Had a go on the create-a-parks, most of them were shit and a bit dull unless there's a world around them, they feel quite soulless but interested to see the kind of things people make later down the line.

Basically I'm just waiting for them to do the next ones in the series, this seems like it's been a hit so they will won't they? Might as well rinse the engine/modelling while they can.

Quote from: Thursday on September 09, 2020, 03:51:37 PM
This came today, and yes it's great.

Only problem is I remember unlocking the Big Air cheats on the originals and would play with them to the point that I seem to have forgotten that you can't actually do 1080 spins all the time with ease in normal mode.
This is the only game series I only played using cheats as a kid. Big Air, unlimited grind, unlimited specials and big head mode if feeling adventurous

AsparagusTrevor

I think I'm finished with it now, after about 30-odd hours of play-time. I've done all skater challenges plus all stat points for every character (sadly this doesn't give you any special reward or achievement), I've unlocked the hidden skaters, collected the hidden shite and I'm itching for new content now. I suppose could go through finding gaps, doing the score challenges for each stage etc but I think I've had my fill. I've had a really good time with it though, despite some piss-takingly difficult challenges.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'd definitely forgotten how frustrating it is to fuck up that last grind on a million point combo. On the 20th attempt. I couldn't be arsed doing the skater challenges because it's such a pain in the hole collecting all the stat points first, there should really be a way around that. As always, this game brings equal amounts of pleasure and frustration. As a remake though, it's pretty solid, it's bee received very well and I look forward to remakes of the later, better games.

Harpo Speaks

This is very good, it's just me that's now shit I reckon.

THPS2 is up there as one of my all time favourites, but man have  I been struggling to get the high scores - and that's even with using Manuals as a chaining tool.