Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:16:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chains of covers/remixes/mixes/sampling

Started by the, May 13, 2020, 03:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Apache, of course

Burt Weedon
The Shadows
Edgar Broughton Band (Apache Dropout)
Incredible Bongo Band
Grandmaster Flash (backed by the magnificent Sugarhill house band)
A shit-ton of US and UK hiphop artists

earl_sleek

Hot Pants (Bonus Beats) by Bobby Byrd.

Sampled by (among many others) the Stone Roses on Fool's Gold.

Which was sampled by Run DMC on What's It All About, itself sampled on Raw Breed's Hard Life.

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 13, 2020, 12:01:45 PM
Hot Pants (Bonus Beats) by Bobby Byrd.

Sampled by (among many others) the Stone Roses on Fool's Gold.

Which was sampled by Run DMC on What's It All About, itself sampled on Raw Breed's Hard Life.

I love how the Stone Roses (or John Leckie) used Hot Pants, it's on weird loop over 5 bars or something and makes the song even more otherworldly to me. The break they created with Reni playing additional drums over the top was sampled in tons of rave tracks like Awesome 3 - Dont Go

Petey Pate

Quote from: NoSleep on May 13, 2020, 01:06:57 PM
And Straight Outta Compton (slowed down).

I'm certain many jungle tracks actually took the amen break from hip hop songs that had sampled it like Straight Outta Compton (which probably took the slowed down version on the Ultimate Breaks and Beat compilation). I think this is the case in my next chain below:

The Five Royales - Think

covered by

James Brown - Think

remade as

Lyn Collins - Think (About It)

sampled in

Heavy D and the Boyz - You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet

(re)sampled in

Dead Dred - Dred Bass

NoSleep

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 13, 2020, 01:45:48 PM
Was sampled by

Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin'

That's Ashley's Roachclip by The Soul Searchers (another well sampled tune). Love this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9veYbl7wI

Similar beat to Graham Central Station, but lacking the clave.

the

Amen Brother, Hot Pants, Apache, really digging deep for these ;)

Quote from: NoSleep on May 13, 2020, 01:06:57 PMAnd Straight Outta Compton (slowed down).

(edit - wrote this before Petey's post)  Probably sampled it from the bootleg of Amen Brother on Ultimate Breaks And Beats with the weird slowed down break (where most people got it from around then).

Also the step involving The Impressions is a bit of a diversion, the real influence of The Impressions on The Winstons' version is another track of theirs, We're A Winner.

Re. Take Me To The Mardi Gras -> The Power, a more interesting end point would be Chill Rob G covering The Power in reparation for Snap! nicking an acapella of his for the record.

the

It's a chain rather than a spider diagram ;)

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 13, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
Sly and the Family Stone - Sing a Simple Song

sampled in (and layered with new drum sounds)

Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance

sampled in

Any song included in The Humpty Dance Awards

Most surprising one for me was hearing it turn up on the first Spice Girls LP

My favourite use was in the Hypnotone Remix of Sheer Taft - Cascades. That beat used to drop hard on a good soundsystem in the clubs BITD.

Quote from: the on May 13, 2020, 02:36:39 PM
Kool & The Gang - Kool's Back Again

Then covered/reinterpreted by Funk, Inc

Then the break was sampled (amongst other drums) by Simon Harris for a composite beat in I'm Riffin by MC Duke

Then the beat was sampled in 2 Bad Mice's remix of Music Takes You by Blame

And this version of the beat somehow ended up on the demo disk that came with the Akai S2000 sampler

I'm Riffin'- Smoking Beats is excellent, used to mix that under a lot of tracks.

The Funk Inc stab/break is all over Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart and then subsequent Art Of Noise tracks. I read somewhere that when showing the Fairlight CMI at a trade show they sampled it as a demonstration and then it ended up as a sound that shipped with the machine. Similar to the loon and shakuhachi sounds from Emu they then got pinched to ship with other samplers over the years - probably how it ended up in the S2000 demo.

Quote from: the on May 13, 2020, 02:35:43 PM
Amen Brother

Lots of the original rave/hardcore records took it from Mantronix and NWA for sure, you can tell from the additional percussion etc.

Quote from: Petey Pate on May 13, 2020, 02:08:29 PM
Think break

The Think break seems to be the one that gets sampled and processed beyond recognitio the most. I know that a lot of UK producers initially took it from Sugar Bear - Don't Scandalize Mine

An interesting chain of Think degradation is

Heavy D - You Ain't Heard Nuttin' Yet

Sampled by

Shadows J - Hip This House

Sampled by

Structural Damage - Really Livin

Sampled by

DJ Junk - Do It, Do It

Quote from: NoSleep on May 13, 2020, 02:11:56 PM
That's Ashley's Roachclip by The Soul Searchers (another well sampled tune). Love this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md9veYbl7wI

Similar beat to Graham Central Station, but lacking the clave.

I'm not convinced it's either to be honest. Whosampled has it as GCS and also in a Red Bull interview with Jazzie B it is mentioned as GCS (not by Jazzie B however). To me it sounds like S2S took the bass drum and snare then mixed it with some 808/909 drum sounds and reprogrammed it. Biz Markie - Pickin' Boogers which sampled GCS from the year before Keep On Movin' was released is almost there.

All the tunes have the same bd/sn/ch drum pattern as does Dennis Edwards - Don't Look Any Further and I wonder if this is what inspired Eric B/Marley Marl to put it together with Ashley's Roachclip to create Paid In Full.

NoSleep

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 13, 2020, 05:25:24 PM
I'm not convinced it's either to be honest. Whosampled has it as GCS and also in a Red Bull interview with Jazzie B it is mentioned as GCS (not by Jazzie B however). To me it sounds like S2S took the bass drum and snare then mixed it with some 808/909 drum sounds and reprogrammed it. Biz Markie - Pickin' Boogers which sampled GCS from the year before Keep On Movin' was released is almost there.

All the tunes have the same bd/sn/ch drum pattern as does Dennis Edwards - Don't Look Any Further and I wonder if this is what inspired Eric B/Marley Marl to put it together with Ashley's Roachclip to create Paid In Full.

I was thinking the same thing (except with Ashley's Roachclip kick and snare blended with the 909). Amongst the hiphoppers I knew around that time, Ashley's Roachclip was generally thought of as "the Soul II Soul beat".

Quote from: NoSleep on May 13, 2020, 05:36:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing (except with Ashley's Roachclip kick and snare blended with the 909). Amongst the hiphoppers I knew around that time, Ashley's Roachclip was generally thought of as "the Soul II Soul beat".

I wasn't aware of the GCS break until a few years ago, Ashley's Roachclip was one of the first breaks I knew the origin of in the 80's (courtesy of Ultimate Breaks & Beats) - maybe it's a UK/US thing? I wouldn't be surprised if S2S were more aware of the Biz Markie record than the GCS one at that time - although I know they go quite deep.

NoSleep speaking of UB&B, was it you that knows Si Spex? this is excellent (both content and artwork)

NoSleep

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 13, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
NoSleep speaking of UB&B, was it you that knows Si Spex? this is excellent (both content and artwork)

Yeah, I know Si. That'll be his hand on the artwork, too.

monkfromhavana

monkfromhavana

monkfromhavana